Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

PC only freeze upon restart, even in BIOS, Working fine other than that

views

TSpixelrider
post Oct 26 2020, 09:08 AM, updated 4y ago

Getting Started
83 posts

Hi all, a PC of mine is functioning perfectly well expect that it cant restart at all. Every time I try to restart it, the computer freeze half way and wouldn't receive any keyboard input (Num/Caps/Scroll light doesn't lights up). The screen is either freeze at the last moment of display or not getting any signal at all, showing the no display sign. There is also no beep from the motherboard in this stage. It even happens when I'm saving settings in BIOS unless I'm adjusting something critical, then it simply shuts down and then restart itself normally from there without any issues.

The only way is to force a hard shut down with by long-pressing power buttom and then start the PC again when I'm having this issue. The computer is working totally fine however, stress test on both CPU and GPU for around 10 mins gives good temperature (Both below 70C). What could be the cause of this matter?

Specs:
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1270
Motherboard: ASRock H61M/U3S3 (latest BIOS v2.40)
PSU: FSP Hexa 500W
RAM: 2x4GB Kingston
Graphic Card: Sapphire R7 250 1GB

Thanks

This post has been edited by pixelrider: Oct 26 2020, 09:09 AM
Satori 14118a
post Oct 26 2020, 09:12 AM

Enthusiast
938 posts

Do you mean upon cold boot it works fine?
TSpixelrider
post Oct 26 2020, 09:15 AM

Getting Started
83 posts

QUOTE(Satori 14118a @ Oct 26 2020, 09:12 AM)
Do you mean upon cold boot it works fine?
Yes, starting normally or resuming from sleep is ok. The only thing that doesnt work is restart even outside the OS.
Satori 14118a
post Oct 26 2020, 09:20 AM

Enthusiast
938 posts

QUOTE(pixelrider @ Oct 26 2020, 09:15 AM)
Yes, starting normally or resuming from sleep is ok. The only thing that doesnt work is restart even outside the OS.
sudo reboot and hard reset both same issue?
TSpixelrider
post Oct 26 2020, 09:26 AM

Getting Started
83 posts

QUOTE(Satori 14118a @ Oct 26 2020, 09:20 AM)
I haven't tried these command but I can try later once I'm back. However the fact that this issue persist even in BIOS level makes me think its beyond OS, probably some issue with hardware?
pipedream
post Oct 26 2020, 11:49 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,342 posts

try stresstesting the ram with memtest86

https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

u using ssd/hdd?

btw: fsp hexa is prone to trouble as well, mine broke down, another guy i knew also broke down, its a shit quality brand. the symptoms i had prior to breaking down was intermittent restarts, gpu suddenly no detecting, even its not faulty now also recommended to change it, mine took the mobo together when it broke

This post has been edited by pipedream: Oct 26 2020, 11:51 AM
TSpixelrider
post Oct 26 2020, 05:19 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

QUOTE(Satori 14118a @ Oct 26 2020, 09:20 AM)
Doesn't work either, mouse and keyboard LED aren't lighting up too.

QUOTE(pipedream @ Oct 26 2020, 11:49 AM)

u using ssd/hdd?

btw: fsp hexa is prone to trouble as well, mine broke down, another guy i knew also broke down, its a shit quality brand. the symptoms i had prior to breaking down was intermittent restarts, gpu suddenly no detecting, even its not faulty now also recommended to change it, mine took the mobo together when it broke
Ran 4 passes and the result came out just fine, good call about the PSU though, it has been ages since I first bought it, probably time for a preventive maintenance anyway. Many years ago I see people recommending Hexa all the time and I thought its a fantastic unit (coming from cap ayam), turns out it's just their budget line biggrin.gif I'm using SSD btw, Kingston A400 on this one.

This post has been edited by pixelrider: Oct 26 2020, 05:19 PM
pipedream
post Oct 26 2020, 05:29 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,342 posts

QUOTE(pixelrider @ Oct 26 2020, 05:19 PM)
Doesn't work either, mouse and keyboard LED aren't lighting up too.
Ran 4 passes and the result came out just fine, good call about the PSU though, it has been ages since I first bought it, probably time for a preventive maintenance anyway. Many years ago I see people recommending Hexa all the time and I thought its a fantastic unit (coming from cap ayam), turns out it's just their budget line  biggrin.gif I'm using SSD btw, Kingston A400 on this one.
ok, other than restart freezing, the comp has none other problems? ie can be used in long usage in windows

anyway u do know modern mobo don't beep now unless u have a motherboard buzzer installed, i assume u have one yes? would be easier to diagnose

usually what ppl does when the mobo can't post is that they will take out components 1 by 1 starting from the ram -> gpu and lastly cpu
TSpixelrider
post Oct 26 2020, 11:44 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

QUOTE(pipedream @ Oct 26 2020, 05:29 PM)
ok, other than restart freezing, the comp has none other problems? ie can be used in long usage in windows

anyway u do know modern mobo don't beep now unless u have a motherboard buzzer installed, i assume u have one yes? would be easier to diagnose

usually what ppl does when the mobo can't post is that they will take out components 1 by 1 starting from the ram -> gpu and lastly cpu
It's my backup PC after I built my main PC so I don't use it as much, but for the occasional usage I see no issue, it's just this problem that's quite puzzling to me. Like everything is ok except for restart?

Well the buzzer is the one on the case I believe, graphic card is 2nd hand because the last one went kaput. CPU is Xeon so it's way harder to diagnose because the output is limited to GPU only. I guess I can try taking out RAM stick 1 by 1 later and see if it still persists. PSU is due for replacement anyway so that might solve this as well.
pipedream
post Oct 26 2020, 11:49 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,342 posts

QUOTE(pixelrider @ Oct 26 2020, 11:44 PM)
It's my backup PC after I built my main PC so I don't use it as much, but for the occasional usage I see no issue, it's just this problem that's quite puzzling to me. Like everything is ok except for restart?

Well the buzzer is the one on the case I believe, graphic card is 2nd hand because the last one went kaput. CPU is Xeon so it's way harder to diagnose because the output is limited to GPU only. I guess I can try taking out RAM stick 1 by 1 later and see if it still persists. PSU is due for replacement anyway so that might solve this as well.
the buzzer should be connected to the one i circled in black based on ur mobo

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
chocobo7779
post Oct 27 2020, 11:10 AM

Power is nothing without control
All Stars
14,368 posts

QUOTE(pipedream @ Oct 26 2020, 11:49 AM)

u using ssd/hdd?

It's an old (something like closer to 10 years), low end PSU with a very old topology - what do you expect? sweat.gif

This post has been edited by chocobo7779: Oct 27 2020, 11:14 AM
waghyu
post Oct 27 2020, 11:19 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,389 posts

QUOTE(pixelrider @ Oct 26 2020, 09:08 AM)
Hi all, a PC of mine is functioning perfectly well expect that it cant restart at all. Every time I try to restart it, the computer freeze half way and wouldn't receive any keyboard input (Num/Caps/Scroll light doesn't lights up). The screen is either freeze at the last moment of display or not getting any signal at all, showing the no display sign. There is also no beep from the motherboard in this stage. It even happens when I'm saving settings in BIOS unless I'm adjusting something critical, then it simply shuts down and then restart itself normally from there without any issues.

The only way is to force a hard shut down with by long-pressing power buttom and then start the PC again when I'm having this issue. The computer is working totally fine however, stress test on both CPU and GPU for around 10 mins gives good temperature (Both below 70C). What could be the cause of this matter?

Specs:
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1270
Motherboard: ASRock H61M/U3S3 (latest BIOS v2.40)
PSU: FSP Hexa 500W
RAM: 2x4GB Kingston
Graphic Card: Sapphire R7 250 1GB

Thanks
Renew thermal paste.
TSpixelrider
post Oct 27 2020, 12:22 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

QUOTE(pipedream @ Oct 26 2020, 11:49 PM)
the buzzer should be connected to the one i circled in black based on ur mobo
QUOTE(chocobo7779 @ Oct 27 2020, 11:10 AM)
It's an old (something like closer to 10 years), low end PSU with a very old topology - what do you expect? sweat.gif
QUOTE(waghyu @ Oct 27 2020, 11:19 AM)
Renew thermal paste.
Tried this just now and the issue is gone when I connected it to my new system's PSU, voila no more hang on restart! It seems the PSU is about to fail anytime soon, luckily this symptom shows up first instead of it going out with a bang. laugh.gif

Thanks to all who spend your time to help me out.

user posted image
chocobo7779
post Oct 27 2020, 12:25 PM

Power is nothing without control
All Stars
14,368 posts

QUOTE(pixelrider @ Oct 27 2020, 12:22 PM)
Tried this just now and the issue is gone when I connected it to my new system's PSU, voila no more hang on restart! It seems the PSU is about to fail anytime soon, luckily this symptom shows up first instead of it going out with a bang.  laugh.gif

user posted image
Nice, also for starters you should go for a decent quality power supply, something like the Cooler Master MWE Bronze v2 550W (note the v2 as this is a different unit over the v1) icon_idea.gif

The MWE White v2 550W is also a decent alternative as well too icon_idea.gif
pipedream
post Oct 27 2020, 12:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,342 posts

Tried this just now and the issue is gone when I connected it to my new system's PSU, voila no more hang on restart! It seems the PSU is about to fail anytime soon, luckily this symptom shows up first instead of it going out with a bang.  laugh.gif

user posted image
no prob, cheers. glad to know its resolved.

this makes the 3rd fsp hexa failing case i know now.
waghyu
post Oct 27 2020, 12:30 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,389 posts

user posted image
Great, some good make like have 5 - 10 years warranty even.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0180sec    0.42    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:50 AM