Mega Duck
All Stars
10,092 posts

Here is RnR land, not science land.
anakkk
post Oct 22 2020, 11:34 AM

Regular
1,565 posts

most people are allergic to gluten, but we are not taught on that, wheat products are usually the culprit that cause imflammation
TScringe
post Oct 22 2020, 11:37 AM

Casual
330 posts

edited

This post has been edited by cringe: Oct 22 2020, 11:37 AM
Kagekiyo
post Oct 22 2020, 11:38 AM

On my way
547 posts

QUOTE(cringe @ Oct 22 2020, 10:45 AM)
Why our local hypermarket is not sensitive to certain people that have problem in consuming certain foods or products?

Example that I can give is Gluten Free or Vegan friendly or nut/milk/egg free

Other countries hypernarket already put label in certain food section where the food is Gluten free or anything that suitable for people with Special Needs.

Yesterday I went to Village Grocer and I can see some of the food products are suitable for certain people. Some of the products are labelled as Gluten Free etc.

Other big hypermarkets such as Aeon, Tesco, Giant are not bothered to do that or even carry the products that suitable for certain people . Asian hypermarkets always assume people need to read the food labels all the time.
It's down to customer segmentation and basic economics.

Hypermarkets target the mass market. Selling in large volume helps keep the price of products sold low relative to competition. The catch? You welcome every damn person from all ethnic groups, religious backgrounds, mindsets and purchasing power (majority of which are B40/low income earners/bargain hunters).

If they're going to start selling products that are labelled as vegan/gluten free (much of which prices are overly inflated thanks to marketing), what makes you think the mass majority who are B40/illeterate/are educated until high school will even bother to consider buying gluten free rolled oats selling at RM20 for 1kg vs non-gluten free oats for 1kg selling at RM15?
TScringe
post Oct 22 2020, 11:38 AM

Casual
330 posts

QUOTE(anakkk @ Oct 22 2020, 11:34 AM)
most people are allergic to gluten, but we are not taught on that, wheat products are usually the culprit that cause imflammation
That's why these kind of awareness is important.
But people here attacked me. We can improve to be better.
AyamBlend
post Oct 22 2020, 11:39 AM

22 posts

Asian hypermarkets always assume people need to read the food labels all the time.

TScringe
post Oct 22 2020, 11:41 AM

Casual
330 posts

QUOTE(eidrag @ Oct 22 2020, 11:29 AM)
village grocer is hypermarket?
My main point I want to highlight applicable to hypermarket/supermarket
Quasi-Suave
post Oct 22 2020, 11:43 AM

Casual
322 posts

Uncle Roger will have some choice words for TS
anakkk
post Oct 22 2020, 11:44 AM

Regular
1,565 posts

QUOTE(cringe @ Oct 22 2020, 11:38 AM)
That's why these kind of awareness is important.
But people here attacked me. We can improve to be better.
cos we have free medication from gov clinics, whatever happen, telan pills, never thought of the source of the problem comes from the food they intact, even if they thought of that, I think they don't really care, as those food they eat daily passed down generations already.
Emimarson
post Oct 22 2020, 11:49 AM

On my way
632 posts

bcoz angmoh are pusseh
xixo_12
post Oct 22 2020, 11:50 AM

i!Retired!i
7,318 posts

read that label pemalas
Stigonboard
post Oct 22 2020, 11:54 AM

Getting Started
230 posts

Why our local hypermarket is not sensitive to certain people that have problem in consuming certain foods or products?

Example that I can give is Gluten Free or Vegan friendly or nut/milk/egg free

Other countries hypernarket already put label in certain food section where the food is Gluten free or anything that suitable for people with Special Needs.

Yesterday I went to Village Grocer and I can see some of the food products are suitable for certain people. Some of the products are labelled as Gluten Free etc.

Other big hypermarkets such as Aeon, Tesco, Giant are not bothered to do that or even carry the products that suitable for certain people . Asian hypermarkets always assume people need to read the food labels all the time.

user posted image
Coz statistically our ppl dont have those kind of allergies - it is more of an issue in the western countries

Village Grocer target the western expats from overseas hence the availability
Stigonboard
post Oct 22 2020, 11:55 AM

Getting Started
230 posts

QUOTE(potatoespotate @ Oct 22 2020, 10:58 AM)
Because we merehsian not pandans.

In all seriousness tho, if there isn't a large enough niche to profit from who gives a fak, companies wanna make profit, if pandan market tak cukup besar who wanna serve? HACCP standards require food industry to identify and label allergens, but I feel like our gomen can't really be bothered to enforce that tbh. Also if labelling lama tak de tulis, to change all packaging banyak mahal, Chinaman boss give a fak kalau gomen tak mau enforce ka?

They more busy with halal issue imo.
Coz halal market is the majority of population

In the end its all about money
treblecase
post Oct 22 2020, 11:56 AM

IHI
767 posts

Ayam upset not many choice for nuts...cant find anything like this except maybe at Ben's

user posted image
MAGAMan-X
post Oct 22 2020, 11:57 AM

On my way
687 posts

eidrag
post Oct 22 2020, 11:58 AM

Getting Started
190 posts

QUOTE(cringe @ Oct 22 2020, 11:41 AM)
My main point I want to highlight applicable to hypermarket/supermarket
lain business model. Not everyone care about vegan/allergy, so it's a niche that cost more to implement and have little effect. If allergy literacy increase, people will prefer go to shops that properly label/clasify/separate and differentiator to other shops. When? Currently only see health food shop or pharmacy, but maybe 5 years more will see increase in labeling, 10 years until supermarket also follow pattern
SUSEBBattlefield
post Oct 22 2020, 11:59 AM

Ramadass Vijandren
637 posts

QUOTE(rainy~days @ Oct 22 2020, 10:47 AM)
Got Halal, all food is Suci to makan
TS forget only label required around this part of the world...
zerorating
post Oct 22 2020, 11:59 AM

Miskin Adab
882 posts

only the strongest survives.
why the hell we need genetics of people that allergic to xyz, just stop there la.

talk about it i am lactose intolerant but i forced myself to take dairy product, after some time, my stomach were like i can handle this, so no more vera cair like i used to have before.
KLthinker91
post Oct 22 2020, 12:00 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

Why our local hypermarket is not sensitive

Other countries hypernarket already

TLDR no money

doing these things require money; money will only be spent if there is a profit; there is no profit if there are no customers willing to pay to have these things done

market forces; fact of life

QUOTE(CertifiedHomphobe @ Oct 22 2020, 10:45 AM)
Asians not strawberry angmoh
actually, a lot of Asians have problems, but we just don't give a shit, so they suffer in silence

I have several friends with allergies - milk and alcohol, most notably - and they just dismiss it because they're not interested in dealing with the problems... they say they can live with the side effects

QUOTE(james.6831 @ Oct 22 2020, 10:48 AM)
gluten free seems to be a problem with 1st world countries muahaha we're 3rd world country, our stomach can handle it...
rise in allergies are correlated with developing society, but nobody knows why. there are (at least) 2 major lines of investigation:

1) developing society does something to our diet so we develop allergies

OR

2) the number of allergy sufferers are the same, they just become more detectable as healthcare screening improves

but since we have not a fucking clue WHY we have allergies to start with, we have even less of a fucking clue which of these is correct either
19 Degree South
post Oct 22 2020, 12:01 PM

Regular
1,480 posts

price scanning machine rosak liao also dont bother to repair and you think they bother to label these food? extrra work u know!

6 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0167sec    0.25    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:54 PM