University I need help figuring out

TSjessiethecookie P
post Oct 22 2020, 09:57 AM, updated 4y ago

So, I'm soon to be a homeschooled student for IGCSE, but I don't know whether I should take bm for it, because I'm doing a levels afterwards. And I looked through everywhere on college websites, none have any requirements on bm. I'm confused, help a girl out please confused.gif
waghyu
post Oct 22 2020, 10:01 AM

3,389 posts

QUOTE(jessiethecookie @ Oct 22 2020, 09:57 AM)
So, I'm soon to be a homeschooled student for IGCSE, but I don't know whether I should take bm for it, because I'm doing a levels afterwards. And I looked through everywhere on college websites, none have any requirements on bm. I'm confused, help a girl out please :confused:
You sure you go A level right away? No other side objective?
TSjessiethecookie P
post Oct 22 2020, 10:04 AM

QUOTE(waghyu @ Oct 22 2020, 10:01 AM)
You sure you go A level right away? No other side objective?
yep
waghyu
post Oct 22 2020, 10:27 AM

3,389 posts

QUOTE(jessiethecookie @ Oct 22 2020, 10:04 AM)
yep
forget BM then.
TSjessiethecookie P
post Oct 22 2020, 10:32 AM

QUOTE(waghyu @ Oct 22 2020, 10:27 AM)
forget BM then.
ahh okie thank you so much biggrin.gif
iSean
post Oct 22 2020, 11:52 AM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

So, I'm soon to be a homeschooled student for IGCSE, but I don't know whether I should take bm for it, because I'm doing a levels afterwards. And I looked through everywhere on college websites, none have any requirements on bm. I'm confused, help a girl out please confused.gif
If you're going to Med/Pharmacy School. You will need to take SPM BM/Sejarah/Maths as private candidate. not mistaken.
IGCSE Syllabus is slightly easier than SPM BM.

Short answer for IGCSE no. Better spend that few thousand/hundred ringgit in other subjects.

tpleong
post Oct 22 2020, 01:08 PM

795 posts

Just take , it's a free A+.

My son said it is so easy . Same goes to chinese language .

Blofeld
post Oct 23 2020, 10:37 AM

4,456 posts

QUOTE(tpleong @ Oct 22 2020, 01:08 PM)
Just take , it's a free A+.

My son said it is so easy . Same goes to chinese language .
Looking at the past year paper of IGCSE - Malay language. Damnnn it's so easy. So unbelievable.

This is so unlike the SPM Bahasa Melayu which was a killer paper for us students several decades ago.
Blofeld
post Oct 23 2020, 10:39 AM

4,456 posts

QUOTE(iSean @ Oct 22 2020, 11:52 AM)
If you're going to Med/Pharmacy School. You will need to take SPM BM/Sejarah/Maths as private candidate. not mistaken.
IGCSE Syllabus is slightly easier than SPM BM.

Short answer for IGCSE no. Better spend that few thousand/hundred ringgit in other subjects.
It's so much easier. No wonder Med School doesnt accept the IGCSE Malay paper.
iSean
post Oct 23 2020, 12:13 PM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

QUOTE(Blofeld @ Oct 23 2020, 10:37 AM)
Looking at the past year paper of IGCSE - Malay language. Damnnn it's so easy. So unbelievable.

This is so unlike the SPM Bahasa Melayu which was a killer paper for us students several decades ago.
dunno when they going to recognize IGCSE BM because been in talks for years already.
It is easy because the syllabus was for "foreign students" like Orang Puteh children learn BM laugh.gif

BM as first language paper not sure will be recognized by our government or not. (Based on NST, most likely not so better pay for cheaper SPM BM paper)
But then i kennot brain why can't recognize only.

https://www.nst.com.my/education/2018/11/43...-melayu-subject

This post has been edited by iSean: Oct 23 2020, 12:15 PM
rozack P
post Oct 23 2020, 01:32 PM

I was an international school student myself 2 years ago, so I know where you are coming from. I would recommend you take the SPM syllabus if you are going to venture into med school or any government sector. Taking merely a single BM subject would not satisfy the government requirement to enter into med school, that's how my friend was forced to retake the SPM alongside Sejarah to properly get a cert. Even if you are not going into those jobs, as a Malaysian, it is strongly recommended to take a Malay language exam, SPM, if possible.

To get a cert for SPM, you will need to pass 2 subjects:
1. BM
2. Sejarah (Not too hard)

As for IGCSE BM, I had also taken it during my time because it was considered a free A* for most Malaysians, this will help you in securing scholarships in college.

I took both the SPM and IGCSE, so reach out if you need more help smile.gif
TSjessiethecookie P
post Oct 27 2020, 12:09 PM

I'm actually planning on pursuing law or medicine in Canada then I'll be staying there, so I don't think bm will be an issue?
tpleong
post Oct 27 2020, 03:01 PM

795 posts

QUOTE(jessiethecookie @ Oct 27 2020, 12:09 PM)
I'm actually planning on pursuing law or medicine in Canada then I'll be staying there, so I don't think bm will be an issue?
Do you have a canadian citizenship ?

0.0176sec    0.42    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:40 PM