IT HELP: Decision to go abroad or local

views

MGM
post Oct 21 2020, 09:47 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,384 posts

QUOTE(rozack @ Oct 21 2020, 05:51 PM)
Thank you for the advice! Well, another thing I was considering is to lower the cost of me studying. Factually speaking, a lot of things that we learn from Uni would not be applicable in the real world. Most of it are too theoretical and we students actually need to take up the essential skills on our own. Don't get me wrong, uni are definitely a good place for a person to develop their soft skills and network capabilities amongst others. I was just weighing out to see whether the cost of going abroad to get a CS degree is justifiable or not since most of CS can be learnt through self-initiatives.

My parents are actually the ones asking me to continue locally because of the pandemic. I tried to discuss with them, but couldn't really convince them. 2 things that are bothering us is the cost and situation in the US. But, as you said, I will continue to look out in the future and hopefully things will be better.
QUOTE(Blofeld @ Oct 21 2020, 06:08 PM)
If i were you, i'd do my undergraduate studies locally and do postgraduate studies overseas
IF your parents prefer u to study locally they must have their reasons (affordability, anti-asian sentiment.....in US), many uncertainties ahead due to covid19.
So better to study locally during this uncertain immediate future and save the money for postgrad overseas.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0154sec    0.65    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:10 PM