Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> HELP: Decision to go abroad or local (IT)

views
     
TSrozack P
post Oct 21 2020, 12:29 PM, updated 2 months ago

New Member
*
Probation
12 posts

Joined: Oct 2020


Hey everyone,

Just wanted some advice from current situation.

Currently, I had received an offer from a quite reputable university in the US, top 25 in the World, to study Computer Science. The school had been a dream school for me due to its vast amount of resources and network potentials. Being an ADTP student, I was supposed to transfer over there during August 2020, but due to the pandemic, I had decided to defer my enrollment till August 2021. My reason behind this was that I didn't want to spend the same amount of tuition fees (in USD bruce.gif ) on online classes. My whole idea of going to US for further studies is for the opportunities over there and to experience a different culture.

Now, I am taking a gap year doing internship across different industries to figure out which stem of IT do I want to venture in. Throughout this year, I planned to go into Cyber Security(Done), Web Development (Starting in Nov), Data Science, AI for my work experience, with 3 months each before I go off for uni.

So, the dilemma in my head now is should I stick to my plan to go abroad or go local due to the current situation in the US and the pandemic. There are quite a number of differences if I choose either.

Go Abroad (US)
- Start as 3rd Year (Completed 2 years in ADTP)
- Dream Uni with good prospects
- Quite expensive since the Uni is a Public Ivy School, hence don't offer scholarship to international students. (+- RM400,000 inclusive of living expenses, accommodation, tuition fees for 2 whole years)
- Tried applying for multiple scholarships I am eligible for such as YTL Award, CIMB, did not get through after 1st interview. Most of the student attending my dream school are Petronas Scholars (Offered full ride). Wasn't eligible because I am from an international school (Took 10 IGCSE subjects and only 3 SPM subjects)
- Possibility of staying back in the US depending on job offers
* May try to apply to UCs at California, for their cheaper fees.

Go Local (Malaysia)
- Need to go back to INTI to complete another 10 credits to achieve 70 credit hours to be eligible to enroll as 1st Year
- Restart my whole degree, starting as 1st year
- Cheaper and education is of quality also
- Not much exposure
- Scholarships are available (Can try out for scholarships from many local companies offering)

Do you guys have any advice or views on this?
Yenactiet
post Oct 21 2020, 01:25 PM

Getting Started
**
Junior Member
257 posts

Joined: Feb 2018


If you can afford to go abroad and have an intent for that, I don't see a reason why you reconsider that option. I always see people saying IT departments in Malaysia are often underappreciated, besides that, you have to spend more time on getting the degree if you opt to study locally. And since you've still got plenty of time left, why let the situation in the US now affect your judgement on the decision for months later?

This post has been edited by Yenactiet: Oct 21 2020, 01:25 PM
maprocks
post Oct 21 2020, 03:50 PM

Getting Started
**
Junior Member
219 posts

Joined: Sep 2012
From: Bolehland



I don't see why should you should stay back and study at INTI since you will be studying from 1st year.
Just go abroad if you have the funding to do so.
The courses there might be more rigid and have much better teaching and research capabilities than private universities in Malaysia.
After graduation, you might be able to work in US.
TSrozack P
post Oct 21 2020, 05:51 PM

New Member
*
Probation
12 posts

Joined: Oct 2020


QUOTE(Yenactiet @ Oct 21 2020, 01:25 PM)
If you can afford to go abroad and have an intent for that, I don't see a reason why you reconsider that option. I always see people saying IT departments in Malaysia are often underappreciated, besides that, you have to spend more time on getting the degree if you opt to study locally. And since you've still got plenty of time left, why let the situation in the US now affect your judgement on the decision for months later?
*
Thank you for the advice! Well, another thing I was considering is to lower the cost of me studying. Factually speaking, a lot of things that we learn from Uni would not be applicable in the real world. Most of it are too theoretical and we students actually need to take up the essential skills on our own. Don't get me wrong, uni are definitely a good place for a person to develop their soft skills and network capabilities amongst others. I was just weighing out to see whether the cost of going abroad to get a CS degree is justifiable or not since most of CS can be learnt through self-initiatives.

My parents are actually the ones asking me to continue locally because of the pandemic. I tried to discuss with them, but couldn't really convince them. 2 things that are bothering us is the cost and situation in the US. But, as you said, I will continue to look out in the future and hopefully things will be better.
TSrozack P
post Oct 21 2020, 05:57 PM

New Member
*
Probation
12 posts

Joined: Oct 2020


QUOTE(maprocks @ Oct 21 2020, 03:50 PM)
I don't see why should you should stay back and study at INTI since you will be studying from 1st year.
Just go abroad if you have the funding to do so.
The courses there might be more rigid and have much better teaching and research capabilities than private universities in Malaysia.
After graduation, you might be able to work in US.
*
Hmm, actually, if I were to continue locally, my plan was to trasnfer to either MMU, Nottingham or Monash.

Totally agree that courses there are more rigid and US have better research opportunities. One thing I am considering is the cost because the Uni that I was offered to continue my studies actually do not provide any funding/scholarships to students and it leans toward the more expensive side of the list of Unis that students normally apply for.

There are other unis that I had offers from, but those are not as good as this albeit being cheaper.

Any way I can look for scholarships given my situation?
Blofeld
post Oct 21 2020, 06:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!
*******
Senior Member
3,437 posts

Joined: Mar 2012
If i were you, i'd do my undergraduate studies locally and do postgraduate studies overseas
MGM
post Oct 21 2020, 09:47 PM

10k Club
********
All Stars
11,586 posts

Joined: Oct 2010
QUOTE(rozack @ Oct 21 2020, 05:51 PM)
Thank you for the advice! Well, another thing I was considering is to lower the cost of me studying. Factually speaking, a lot of things that we learn from Uni would not be applicable in the real world. Most of it are too theoretical and we students actually need to take up the essential skills on our own. Don't get me wrong, uni are definitely a good place for a person to develop their soft skills and network capabilities amongst others. I was just weighing out to see whether the cost of going abroad to get a CS degree is justifiable or not since most of CS can be learnt through self-initiatives.

My parents are actually the ones asking me to continue locally because of the pandemic. I tried to discuss with them, but couldn't really convince them. 2 things that are bothering us is the cost and situation in the US. But, as you said, I will continue to look out in the future and hopefully things will be better.
*
QUOTE(Blofeld @ Oct 21 2020, 06:08 PM)
If i were you, i'd do my undergraduate studies locally and do postgraduate studies overseas
*
IF your parents prefer u to study locally they must have their reasons (affordability, anti-asian sentiment.....in US), many uncertainties ahead due to covid19.
So better to study locally during this uncertain immediate future and save the money for postgrad overseas.
TSrozack P
post Oct 22 2020, 12:01 PM

New Member
*
Probation
12 posts

Joined: Oct 2020


QUOTE(MGM @ Oct 21 2020, 09:47 PM)
IF your parents prefer u to study locally they must have their reasons (affordability, anti-asian sentiment.....in US), many uncertainties ahead due to covid19.
So better to study locally during this uncertain immediate future and save the money for postgrad overseas.
*
Actually, prior to all the pandemics, we actually discussed and agreed that I was to go the US for further studies. That's the reason I was in INTI's ADTP. But, what we didn't expect was the situation in the US now, as you said, with so many uncertainties. I understand where they are coming from, they are just worried about me going there now. If after a few years, things goes back to normal, ya, they will be alright.

I was contemplating about this. Going local means that I would need to forego the chance to go into my dream uni. I would consider myself very lucky to get into such a good uni as they are very selective. I also need to restart from Year 1 in local uni.

Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it. Will discuss with my parents, maybe going local is the better choice ahead.

tpleong
post Oct 22 2020, 01:10 PM

On my way
****
Senior Member
634 posts

Joined: Jul 2007
From: Kuala Lumpur


Much better opportunity in US .

Things should be OK by August 2021 . You dont have to make the decision now .

This post has been edited by tpleong: Oct 24 2020, 07:21 AM
dolphin2
post Oct 24 2020, 05:53 AM

New Member
*
Junior Member
43 posts

Joined: May 2015


QUOTE(tpleong @ Oct 22 2020, 01:10 PM)
Much better opportunity is US .

Things should be OK by August 2021 . You dont have to make the decision now .
*
Second this! Go to the US next year.
James1983
post Oct 24 2020, 08:26 AM

💦kencing lettew💦
***
Junior Member
464 posts

Joined: Mar 2008
From: 🍍bikini bottom🍍
How is your family’s financial situation like?
TSrozack P
post Oct 26 2020, 07:05 PM

New Member
*
Probation
12 posts

Joined: Oct 2020


QUOTE(James1983 @ Oct 24 2020, 08:26 AM)
How is your family’s financial situation like?
*
I would say ok ok la, not the rich and super-rich kind. Have older siblings that are working already.

But I didn't want to burden my parents with the huge cost of going overseas. That's why I wanted to secure a scholarship but being a student that didn't take the SPM fully, its kinda hard sad.gif
tanakimura8
post Oct 26 2020, 09:46 PM

New Member
*
Junior Member
49 posts

Joined: May 2020
QUOTE(Blofeld @ Oct 21 2020, 06:08 PM)
If i were you, i'd do my undergraduate studies locally and do postgraduate studies overseas
*
Actually, this particular point is very close to my own.
By finishing an undergraduate studies locally, you gain some kind of a base, and then, you know, what aspects of your knowledge and specialisation you would like to improve and develop.
It's easier to start somewhere where everything is more or less familiar to you - like culture or language, those kind of things. After that, when you are competent in a certain area, you understand it more clearly a) whether you want to continue study it at all b) what schools abroad may offer you exactly those educational benefits that you need.

kinnylaw
post Oct 30 2020, 02:48 AM

New Member
*
Junior Member
44 posts

Joined: Sep 2014
If you have the opportunity and the financial ability to study abroad, by all means, go for it. You are not going to regret it, that's for sure.


zizieman
post Nov 2 2020, 03:05 PM

New Member
*
Junior Member
27 posts

Joined: Oct 2020
Go abroad if you could afford it

 

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0179sec    0.73    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th November 2020 - 10:08 AM