Just wanted some advice from current situation.
Currently, I had received an offer from a quite reputable university in the US, top 25 in the World, to study Computer Science. The school had been a dream school for me due to its vast amount of resources and network potentials. Being an ADTP student, I was supposed to transfer over there during August 2020, but due to the pandemic, I had decided to defer my enrollment till August 2021. My reason behind this was that I didn't want to spend the same amount of tuition fees (in USD ) on online classes. My whole idea of going to US for further studies is for the opportunities over there and to experience a different culture.
Now, I am taking a gap year doing internship across different industries to figure out which stem of IT do I want to venture in. Throughout this year, I planned to go into Cyber Security(Done), Web Development (Starting in Nov), Data Science, AI for my work experience, with 3 months each before I go off for uni.
So, the dilemma in my head now is should I stick to my plan to go abroad or go local due to the current situation in the US and the pandemic. There are quite a number of differences if I choose either.
Go Abroad (US)
- Start as 3rd Year (Completed 2 years in ADTP)
- Dream Uni with good prospects
- Quite expensive since the Uni is a Public Ivy School, hence don't offer scholarship to international students. (+- RM400,000 inclusive of living expenses, accommodation, tuition fees for 2 whole years)
- Tried applying for multiple scholarships I am eligible for such as YTL Award, CIMB, did not get through after 1st interview. Most of the student attending my dream school are Petronas Scholars (Offered full ride). Wasn't eligible because I am from an international school (Took 10 IGCSE subjects and only 3 SPM subjects)
- Possibility of staying back in the US depending on job offers
* May try to apply to UCs at California, for their cheaper fees.
Go Local (Malaysia)
- Need to go back to INTI to complete another 10 credits to achieve 70 credit hours to be eligible to enroll as 1st Year
- Restart my whole degree, starting as 1st year
- Cheaper and education is of quality also
- Not much exposure
- Scholarships are available (Can try out for scholarships from many local companies offering)
Do you guys have any advice or views on this?
HELP: Decision to go abroad or local (IT)