Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Work From Home but with lesser pay, as titled

views

TSreal55555
post Oct 21 2020, 12:19 PM, updated 4y ago

Casual
309 posts

During this second wave (some call it third wave) outbreak in Malaysia, many working man and woman have been calling for the government not to reopen the industries, especially during the recent permission for all economic activities to reopen that was announced last week or the week before. So when cases continue to rise in recent days, many have been calling for the government to close down the economy sectors to curb the transmission of Covid19. So there was an announcement yesterday that management and supervisory level have to work at home, and the rest if they have to come to the office to work, they have to take the swab test.

So my co-workers have been discussing this since this morning and wanted to request management to allow all to work from home as that has been done before during early stages of this CMCO and also last MCO back in March-May. But management's response is that they have realized in first MCO and the recent CMCO, workload has been very minimal when WFH is implemented and there is a limit on the type of work that they can give as a lot of the records and documents are still in the office. Employees can only bring back essential documents that are related to their work, and there is only so much files one can bring home.

Their response is that they can allow employees to WFH but with reduced pay of 30 - 40%, which I myself think is alright as workload really is reduced when WFH and we can save on travelling time, expenses and time flexibility, but some other staff are not agreeable to it as they have commitments or simply lifestyle expenses.

So this leaves the question, are workers or employees really willing to WFH with reduced pay that comes with reduced workload, greater flexibility in time, activity as well as safe working environment especially in times of Covid19?

EdEd
post Oct 21 2020, 12:23 PM

Casual
332 posts

N O
ladiesman217
post Oct 21 2020, 12:24 PM

21 posts

What is the reason of a reduction of salary from the management ?
It sounds like they are deterring the staff from working from home.
Their seat cost is also considered reduced too ? Electric bill and such ?
what is the nature of business here ?
timeonce
post Oct 21 2020, 12:28 PM

Getting Started
282 posts

Alot of worker in malaysia hv more than 70% debt for housing and car loan. U cut more what they eat. Grass ??????
subdroid
post Oct 21 2020, 12:29 PM

Getting Started
138 posts

how about this..

WTF
bsa12
post Oct 21 2020, 12:34 PM

On my way
549 posts

Moratorium must be extended too if pay cut
SUSBora Prisoner
post Oct 21 2020, 12:39 PM

On my way
532 posts

30-40% reduction?

In /k terms of 20k/month, that's a RM6k to RM8k reduction, quite substantive

Here to buy
post Oct 21 2020, 12:50 PM

Regular
1,379 posts

That 30-40%....
Is that allowances or basic salary?

brkli
post Oct 21 2020, 12:52 PM

On my way
539 posts

in Malaysia, is there anything/cases where you get "reduce workload" compare to previous year and/or when you join initially?

even with promotion to manager most time involve you doing kuli work + managing other people.

This post has been edited by brkli: Oct 21 2020, 12:53 PM
faizalfaizal
post Oct 21 2020, 01:00 PM

Getting Started
97 posts

Gov should give Mora at least for another 6 months for now. Also Mora should cover all loans, not just certain loans. This way staff can be productive and focus WFH.
xcxa23
post Oct 21 2020, 01:16 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,649 posts

If you no agree, company still find way to cut cost
Like no bonus, increment, claimable etc

Boss will say
Your work is to finish a B c during office hour
But work from home
You only finish a and b
So potong gaji

Spitzer
post Oct 21 2020, 01:30 PM

Casual
374 posts

QUOTE(faizalfaizal @ Oct 21 2020, 01:00 PM)
Gov should give Mora at least for another 6 months for now. Also Mora should cover all loans, not just certain loans. This way staff can be productive and focus WFH.
Staff productiveness is not governed by the government, nor is their responsibility. It's each employer or organization's problem.

Also, there is absolutely no correlation at all with giving mora and improving productivity or focus at working from home, infact there should NOT be anymore mora for people who still have a job and only offer it to person without income/lost their job. U want mora or you want a job? U either focus on your job or lose your job.

budakbaik1310
post Oct 21 2020, 01:56 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

My company cut the parking allowance and meal allowance, so I agree.
If they want to cut the salary, big no from me.
barista
post Oct 21 2020, 02:01 PM

I want to retire
871 posts

WFH doesn't mean I get to lepak or sleep.
In fact, WFH we need to be always available. If want to potong gaji fine, don't call me or expect me to response "outside" my working hours.
matrix88
post Oct 21 2020, 02:06 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,098 posts

taking advantage. I hope the company lose all the staff in short stint
TSreal55555
post Oct 21 2020, 02:08 PM

Casual
309 posts

QUOTE(ladiesman217 @ Oct 21 2020, 12:24 PM)
What is the reason of a reduction of salary from the management ?
It sounds like they are deterring the staff from working from home.
Their seat cost is also considered reduced too ? Electric bill and such ?
what is the nature of business here ?
Reason being reduction in workload. Their reasoning is that if one day the management give you additional responsibility or workload, employee will reasonable expect a payrise from the management as well. So vice versa. Plus it is true that a lot of work cannot be done by WFH. Not all companies digitalised all documents and stored in server where you can access it by only having internet.

QUOTE(V for Virgin @ Oct 21 2020, 12:25 PM)
If no more travel allowance understandable, but bear in mind current situation cukurlah ada kerja ya
That's right. I know the manager personally and he also mentioned to me actually this MCO and CMCO let the management realized that actually workforce can be cut by 30-40% for some departments.

QUOTE(timeonce @ Oct 21 2020, 12:28 PM)
Alot of worker in malaysia hv more than 70% debt for housing and car loan. U cut more what they eat. Grass ??????
This is true, but it is also down to each person's own debt management.

QUOTE(Here to buy @ Oct 21 2020, 12:50 PM)
That 30-40%....
Is that allowances or basic salary?
Basic. We do not have allowances or very minimal.

QUOTE(xcxa23 @ Oct 21 2020, 01:16 PM)
If you no agree, company still find way to cut cost
Like no bonus, increment, claimable etc

Boss will say
Your work is to finish a B c during office hour
But work from home
You only finish a and b
So potong gaji
That's right. Actually management realized they don't need such big workforce after MCO, but then they also said it is difficult to fire workers during this pandemic. Thats why the proposed pay cut which should be more acceptable. Lower workload lower pay, and only applies to WFH period.
Chrix
post Oct 21 2020, 02:26 PM

Regular
1,081 posts

With this logic,those who work outside home should be given bigger increment?

Your postman, internet provider vendors, utility engineers, general cleaners, etc

....right?
TSreal55555
post Oct 21 2020, 02:33 PM

Casual
309 posts

QUOTE(barista @ Oct 21 2020, 02:01 PM)
WFH doesn't mean I get to lepak or sleep.
In fact, WFH we need to be always available. If want to potong gaji fine, don't call me or expect me to response "outside" my working hours.
Haha true. But my management quite ok also. They said during WFH, Monday to Friday during working hours they expect replies for work related chat within 30mins. Outside working hours, it is your choice.

QUOTE(matrix88 @ Oct 21 2020, 02:06 PM)
taking advantage. I hope the company lose all the staff in short stint
Haha don't use the word take advantage la, both have their point of view, just have to agree to disagree.
TSreal55555
post Oct 21 2020, 02:34 PM

Casual
309 posts

QUOTE(Chrix @ Oct 21 2020, 02:26 PM)
With this logic,those who work outside home should be given bigger increment?

Your postman, internet provider vendors, utility engineers, general cleaners, etc

....right?
If can afford, yes. They are taking extra risks in generating income for the company, even though work nature is still the same. But it is up to each company's management to decide la i guess.
Here to buy
post Oct 21 2020, 02:35 PM

Regular
1,379 posts

Welp. Report to jab. Buruh then.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0264sec    0.37    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:42 AM