Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

DJI Air 2 Stolen When Battery Is On - GPS Useless, Cause GPS indicates high-rise condo

views

TSJust2centslah
post Oct 18 2020, 11:16 PM, updated 4y ago

Getting Started
245 posts

Hi everyone,

I bought DJI Air 2 a few days ago. After practicing a little in my garden, I brought it to a lake park on Saturday. I lost connection when it flew just a little more than 1km away with height of 120m. And I couldn't find it. Later I reached the "exact" final GPS location. It was just under a high-rise condo. It seems drone came back nearby of take-off spot but someone took it when the battery was still on. This person didn't know how to turn it off. Yet he grabbed the "vibrating" drone, entered an elevator, and brought it all the way up to his home. And inside of his home the battery of drone died after sending the final GPS signal.

Will ask for placing posters inside the condo. But still.. he should've brought it to the nearby police or any guard, or just leave the vibrating drone alone. That way at least I could've chased successfully GPS and retrieved my drone.

I still hope to get it back intact. But I will not get surprised if there is no news or only broken drone is turned back.

Lesson, very expensive one: avoid weekend fly when some people are around. will fly only in the very early morning (just after sunrise) when there is no one who wants to bring a vibrating drone home. Too bad, I just tasted the joy of flying. Already waiting for 11.11 sale.

Welcome any advice or tip for a drone beginner like me. Thanks.

This post has been edited by Just2centslah: Oct 19 2020, 12:05 AM
jessicakoh
post Oct 18 2020, 11:37 PM

42 posts

Did you write your name and contact info on the drone? Give a chance for someone to call you. e.g. If found please return, you'll be rewarded.
matrix88
post Oct 18 2020, 11:37 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,098 posts

Maybe the person that picked it up thought you are peeping or spying on him/her
TSJust2centslah
post Oct 18 2020, 11:42 PM

Getting Started
245 posts

QUOTE(jessicakoh @ Oct 18 2020, 11:37 PM)
Did you write your name and contact info on the drone? Give a chance for someone to call you. e.g. If found please return, you'll be rewarded.
No, I really knew nothing. Air2's max distance is 10km, they say. I was pretty much confident with 1km. Anyway you are correct, confident or not, better put name and contact info on anything I don't want to lose.

Thank you so much. Keep that in mind and will practice that in life without exception as soon as anything valuable is acquired.
TSJust2centslah
post Oct 18 2020, 11:45 PM

Getting Started
245 posts

QUOTE(matrix88 @ Oct 18 2020, 11:37 PM)
Maybe the person that picked it up thought you are peeping or spying on him/her
haha.. that's not the case.
QBeck37
post Oct 26 2020, 05:09 AM

49 posts

Thank you for sharing, this will indeed be a good lesson. Sorry it was an expensive one for you @Just2centsiah
wKkaY
post Oct 26 2020, 11:02 AM

misutā supākoru
Group Icon
VIP
6,008 posts

QUOTE(Just2centslah @ Oct 18 2020, 11:42 PM)
No, I really knew nothing. Air2's max distance is 10km, they say. I was pretty much confident with 1km. Anyway you are correct, confident or not, better put name and contact info on anything I don't want to lose.

Thank you so much. Keep that in mind and will practice that in life without exception as soon as anything valuable is acquired.
Yup get one of those sticker sheets with something like 50 stickers containing your name and phone number. Then you'll be able to stick it everywhere - batteries, RC controller, drone, etc.

I don't mean to drone police, but I don't think you've really learned your lesson. What you should really be thinking about is not the material loss of your drone, but the potential consequences of losing control of your drone e.g. injuring someone. Fly conservatively in populated urban areas.
lee82gx
post Oct 26 2020, 12:17 PM

I guess I'm special
2,861 posts

Several things about droning that you need to know before flying:

1. What and how RTH is triggered - This happens when the connection between Remote and drone is too weak. This is mainly when you fly out of line of sight, or have bad RF interference. In urban "condo" environment this is a bad combination as buildings will block line of sight, dense condo's will emit all sort of Wifi.
2. How RTH happens - When this happens what did you set your drone to do? Return to home point, stay at the same point until battery deplete ? First options requires a height to be set, and due your drone having front sensors if the height is not high enough in condo environment, it will try to fly around (usually unsuccessfully) or it will hover and land when battery reach 10%.

2. if you don't read the manual and understand everything before you fly, your next RM3-4k is going to encounter similar fate...

3. It is a case of theft if your drone was taken, you can report to police if you want.

4. Again, RTH conditions is the most important aspect of flying you must know in all circumstance.

5. Others - Know the wind conditions. Know that 10km is only achievable if you are flying in a straight visible line of sight, with NO interference. It is also illegal.

6. Know how much your battery can last and how it also affects RTH.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0126sec    0.45    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:25 AM