Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Can My Dog Eat Bones?, Can My Dog Eat Bones??

views

TSscilover
post Oct 8 2020, 03:38 PM, updated 4y ago

Getting Started
66 posts

Hai.. This is my first time having a dog! Its golden retriever.. Can I feed my dog with bones as snacks? I read about it that it's actually not good, unless if I give edible bones..

You know, the one that you buy at the pet store.. A little confuse here.. Any suggestion?

user posted image
kevinlim001
post Oct 8 2020, 03:50 PM

Ethical Hacker
6,118 posts

the chicken bones or other animal bones will do more harm than good.. those bones debris are sharp at the edge and may puncture its internal organ.. not recommended...
kevinlim001
post Oct 8 2020, 03:50 PM

Ethical Hacker
6,118 posts

--deleted-- double post

This post has been edited by kevinlim001: Oct 8 2020, 03:51 PM
BeverlyHills
post Oct 17 2020, 09:48 AM

Getting Started
53 posts

QUOTE(scilover @ Oct 8 2020, 03:38 PM)
Hai.. This is my first time having a dog! Its golden retriever.. Can I feed my dog with bones as snacks? I read about it that it's actually not good, unless if I give edible bones..
You know, the one that you buy at the pet store.. A little confuse here.. Any suggestion?

user posted image
Ok, those bones pictured its a very good idea. As previous guy told u make sure u dont give any chicken bones (ANY) as it may hurt stomach and animal might start to have internal bleeding which cause to death.
Booger P
post Jan 28 2021, 07:06 PM

Probation
0 posts

If you want to know more about dog bones, here`s an informative article about dog bones https://ourpetsmag.com/the-best-dog-bones-review-of-2021/. There you will find bones which are best rated and have positive reviews. For the first time dog owner it may be useful smile.gif
katkitkim P
post Jan 31 2021, 11:25 PM

Probation
0 posts

Hello! I'd actually advice you to not feed those bones, as they are commonly made with by products of the leather industry (not meat industry!) where the hide of an animal is split, the top is taken to get tanned and made into leather, whilst the inner portion is transformed into the stick you see (https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/rawhide-dangerous-for-dogs/).

But to answer your question - yes, RAW MEATY bones can be fed - emphasis on 'raw' and 'meaty'. Raw bones (when they are of the smaller variety and not weight bearing, so less dense and can be handled by your dog, depending on the size)don't splinter as easily, and as they have to be fed MEATY (so the meat is still ON the bone), the meat serves as a cushion so even if it does splinter, it will not lead to intestinal perforation.

(please see here https://www.rspcapetinsurance.org.au/pet-ca...es-and-your-dog and here https://myvetanimalhospital.com.au/raw-bone...-bad-furbabies/ for further info)

HOWEVER, the feeding or raw meaty bones is always better to be supervised, so if you've not done the research, I would not advise you to feed them. Absolutely no dehydrated boney parts too, as those would be considered cooked (and cooked bones are a huge no no).

So if you're looking for a good chew for your pupper, you can look into:

- yak cheese chews
- dehydrated pizzles, tendons etc.
- dehydrated cow/lamb tails

Some also recommend dehydrated pig ears, which are okayyy but I'm a tad concerned with the fat levels if pupper isn't too used to being fed a high fat diet. I tend to steer away from antlers or hooves as they are abit too hard for my liking. biggrin.gif

Hope this helps!
SUSskyblu3
post Feb 4 2021, 11:43 PM

Getting Started
157 posts

QUOTE(scilover @ Oct 8 2020, 03:38 PM)

user posted image
These are made of raw hides. Usually made from the internal layer of the cow's hide

It is for you dog to chew.
Not a snack

Whatever it is... Don't feed your dog real bones, especially chicken bones and it can become sharp when it breaks. Imagine yourself munching on chicken bones.
Feed your dog with proper food please.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0132sec    0.25    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:27 PM