Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Networking at home, Networking for file storage and printers

views

TSCocoMonGo
post Aug 12 2007, 05:32 PM, updated 17y ago

Ooo Finally
551 posts

I just got a Linksys WAG200G(wireless adsl router) last Friday and now its all installed and running perfectly.

I am actually interested in setting up a home network, which would connect my (USB) printers and some form of file storage. I know about some network storage systems called NAS. Also saw a HDD casing for filesharing in lowyat that day. But they all cost about 400 or 300 each (casing alone). So I would like to ask,

1. Is it possible to install my 2.5" laptop HDD in a standard USB casing to the Linksys, be it I have to buy a new hardware for the USB-to-Ethernet connections? I would like to really avoid the cost of having to buy a dedicated NAS storage system+HDDs and use my old portable HDDs instead.

2. Same as above, but is it possible to install a USB only printer to the network? How?

Thanks

PS. Newbie in networking here. I am not too familiar with networking jargons.. be gentle icon_rolleyes.gif
theodore_kh
post Aug 12 2007, 06:00 PM

It's me again !
1,294 posts

Since you're just trying to setup a home networking, I don't think you need to invest a NAS for storage.

1. Instead, you could try setting one of your pc as a server. Backup all your files inside that pc's HDD.

As for your external HDD, you can't treat it as a standalone HDD, it needs to be connected to a PC in order to function.

You can connect that external HDD to your server PC, any backups around the network will thus have to first pass through your server to access your external HDD.

2.Connect your USB printer into your server pc. That, anyone over the wifi network is able do printings through that computer.

calvynlee
post Aug 12 2007, 09:46 PM

Digital Marketing Trainer
1,997 posts

share the hard disk in ur PC server, the the client just map the drive...then you will have file server to use...
razuryza
post Aug 13 2007, 12:14 AM

\('o')/~fewwwiitttt~\("0")/
5,515 posts

u cannnot simply connect the usb from hdd or printer using the USB-ethernet adapter.. coz..it cant setup the ip for both hdd nd printers... if u want to connect the printer to the linksys, u must get the print server..that would cost u a bomb! cost more than ur router usually!
ronnie
post Aug 13 2007, 11:23 AM

Not enough stars
All Stars
19,595 posts

Look for NAS with a Ethernet port which you can connect directly to your WAG200G's 4-port switch.
TSCocoMonGo
post Aug 13 2007, 09:40 PM

Ooo Finally
551 posts

QUOTE(calvynlee @ Aug 12 2007, 09:46 PM)
share the hard disk in ur PC server, the the client just map the drive...then you will have file server to use...
Thought about that but I wouldnt be running any comps 24/7 coz we dont use them that often. was just hoping to have a share Hdd which any one of the comps can access without the other being open. Kinda like a common folder.

Added on August 13, 2007, 9:46 pm
QUOTE(razuryza @ Aug 13 2007, 12:14 AM)
u cannnot simply connect the usb from hdd or printer using the USB-ethernet adapter.. coz..it cant setup the ip for both hdd nd printers... if u want to connect the printer to the linksys, u must get the print server..that would cost u a bomb! cost more than ur router usually!
awww cruds... spend more. Actually it was becoz i saw in my office they had this ethernet-to-usb thingi which hooked the usb only printer to the LAN system in my office. Thought it would had been a straight forward thing. Thanks blush.gif

This post has been edited by CocoMonGo: Aug 13 2007, 09:46 PM
denhock
post Sep 4 2007, 01:54 AM

Casual
469 posts

http://www.qnap.com/PressRelease_detail.asp?pr_id=62

Home > News Center
The World's First NAS for PlayStation3 & Xbox360 DLNA Media Streaming

QNAP Announces the New Firmware for High Performance All-in-one TS-109 & TS-209 Series - Ideal Choice for PC-less HD Home Theatre

DLNATaipei, Taiwan, Sep 3, 2007 - The leading network-attached storage (NAS) provider- QNAP Systems, Inc. today announced the release of the latest firmware for the All-in-one NAS, TS-109 and TS-209 series to fully support the DLNA media playing function of Sony PlayStation3 and Microsoft Xbox360. The new firmware enhances the DLNA multimedia sharing support for video game consoles to enrich the digital home applications. All the multimedia contents stored on QNAP NAS can be automatically shared to a PS3 or an Xbox360 in the home network. Users can play their stored photos and videos on a TV, or listen to the music via their Hi-Fi system. QNAP NAS can be a perfect home storage and sharing center for establishing a PC-less, HD video-playing (via PS3, video resolution up to 1080p), highly accessible, and power-saving digital home theatre.

In the latest NAS firmware, the built-in TwonkyMedia is upgraded to version 4.4 to enhance the interoperability with PS3 and Xbox360. Users do not need to pay extra effort or money to install additional software for the new function. The new firmware is now available on QNAP website for free upgrade. According to Mr. Brian Lee, VP of QNAP Research & Development Dept, "The new generation TS-109 and TS-209 series break through the transfer rate bottleneck of traditional NAS by adopting the most advanced high-speed embedded 500MHz CPU and 128MB DDRII memory. The data sharing and access performance are fully enhanced. Also, QNAP takes the lead in supporting PS3 and Xbox360 DLNA with TS-109 and TS-209 series. This further enriches the functions of the All-in-one NAS series, which already support BT download, PHP MySQL& SQLite supported web server, iTunes music sharing, built-in photo album, etc. It is an excellent choice for digital home users."

About QNAP TS-109 and TS-209 All-in-one NAS Server series
QNAP TS-109 series was released in July 2007. This series adopts high performance hardware design, and supports up to 1TB internal SATA hard drive. The total storage capacity can be expanded to 2TB with an external eSATA or USB drive. With the unique fanless design and aluminum alloy case, the noiseless TS-109 is ideal for operation in digital home environment. Moreover, the power consumption rate of TS-109 is less than 14.4W under normal operation. This energy-saving design enables the server to run 24x7 non stop. TS-109 series supports 12-in-1 complete functions and high transfer performance. It has already received worldwide awards, including "Editor Choice" from Personal Computer World (UK), "Lord of NAS" from Hexus (UK), and "Golden Bear Award" from Bjorn3D (US), etc.

QNAP TS-209 series was released in August 2007. It is the only 2-bay, RAID 1, hot-swappable NAS model in the current SOHO NAS market. With 12-in-1 functions, the maximum storage capacity supported is 2TB. TS-209 is an ideal large-storage and high security solution for home, SOHO, and SMB users.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0147sec    0.30    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:37 AM