Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Need watch recommendations, Gift for Dad

views

TSsun downer
post Sep 17 2020, 01:41 PM, updated 4y ago

23 posts

Need some recommendations on what watch to get as a gift for my dad. He does not wear watches often, and does not really have any branded watches.

Budget: I'm looking for something about RM3.5k; but would also like to know what can be had for a budget up to RM6k.
Type: Automatic is best, but quarts is fine as well since he does not wear often so no need to keep setting time
Brand: Trying to avoid brands like Seiko, Tissot, and the like
kevinlim001
post Sep 17 2020, 02:06 PM

Ethical Hacker
6,118 posts

QUOTE(sun downer @ Sep 17 2020, 01:41 PM)
Need some recommendations on what watch to get as a gift for my dad. He does not wear watches often, and does not really have any branded watches.

Budget: I'm looking for something about RM3.5k; but would also like to know what can be had for a budget up to RM6k.
Type: Automatic is best, but quarts is fine as well since he does not wear often so no need to keep setting time
if he doesnt wear watch often, quartz would be a better deal. If automatic is preferable you can invest on a automatic watch winder also.

Any reason you are avoiding brand like Seiko/Tissot? those might be best of buck that your penny can get.

Orient/Citizen not ok also? Is your dad a sport person? Sport smart watch? Even with 6k on hand you cant get decent watch for mature man. If not you can invest on a used Tag Heuer for your dad.

I wouldnt recommend something that is fashioned linked Brands.. it just doesnt fit a matured man...

does this work for you?
user posted image

This post has been edited by kevinlim001: Sep 17 2020, 02:16 PM
TSsun downer
post Sep 17 2020, 03:48 PM

23 posts

QUOTE(kevinlim001 @ Sep 17 2020, 02:06 PM)
if he doesnt wear watch often, quartz would be a better deal. If automatic is preferable you can invest on a automatic watch winder also.

Any reason you are avoiding brand like Seiko/Tissot? those might be best of buck that your penny can get.

Orient/Citizen not ok also? Is your dad a sport person? Sport smart watch? Even with 6k on hand you cant get decent watch for mature man. If not you can invest on a used Tag Heuer for your dad. 

I wouldnt recommend something that is fashioned linked Brands.. it just doesnt fit a matured man...

does this work for you?
user posted image
Avoiding those brands purely because they are quite common (not dissing those brands I wear a Seiko myself).

Was thinking of brands like Oris, Longines, Hamilton etc. Can these be had at that budget? It's his birthday so thought of giving him a decent watch but at the same time he doesn't take care (judging from his existing watch) or wear it often.
fuzzy
post Sep 17 2020, 03:52 PM

*pew pew pew*
6,659 posts

QUOTE(sun downer @ Sep 17 2020, 03:48 PM)
Avoiding those brands purely because they are quite common (not dissing those brands I wear a Seiko myself).

Was thinking of brands like Oris, Longines, Hamilton etc. Can these be had at that budget? It's his birthday so thought of giving him a decent watch but at the same time he doesn't take care (judging from his existing watch) or wear it often.
Can, I'd recommend Oris myself.
kevinlim001
post Sep 17 2020, 04:01 PM

Ethical Hacker
6,118 posts

QUOTE(sun downer @ Sep 17 2020, 03:48 PM)

yea maybe hamilton. Oris and Longines are expensive, even for the second hand unit are close to 10k cheapest.
the problem here is there's a vacuum area between 5k to 10k for decent watch. that is the area which the top teir japanese watch are comfortable-ly sitting / smaller swiss brand like tissot. Another brand like Bell & Ross is good but its around at 10k mark and its more to youngster.

I wont be recommending fashion brand like cK, boss, fossil, bonia etc etc as that doesn't looks well on mature men. If 20-30, those brand will work.

If you are looking after brands like Tag, Oris, Longines, Omega, Rado, you might want to invest more even for a second hand unit.

If you are in budget, look for Seiko premier/orient star mechanical, the brands are common but these watches are not. They look elegant also.
fuzzy
post Sep 17 2020, 04:12 PM

*pew pew pew*
6,659 posts

QUOTE(kevinlim001 @ Sep 17 2020, 04:01 PM)
yea maybe hamilton. Oris and Longines are expensive, even for the second hand unit are close to 10k cheapest.
the problem here is there's a vacuum area between 5k to 10k for decent watch. that is the area which the top teir japanese watch are comfortable-ly sitting / smaller swiss brand like tissot. Another brand like Bell & Ross is good but its around at 10k mark and its more to youngster. 

I wont be recommending fashion brand like cK, boss, fossil, bonia etc etc as that doesn't looks well on mature men. If 20-30, those brand will work.

If you are looking after brands like Tag, Oris, Longines, Omega, Rado, you might want to invest more even for a second hand unit.

If you are in budget, look for Seiko premier/orient star mechanical, the brands are common but these watches are not. They look elegant also.
Erm, Oris and Longines are not 10k bro.
rx330
post Sep 17 2020, 04:48 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,586 posts

QUOTE(kevinlim001 @ Sep 17 2020, 04:01 PM)

I think older ppl would wanna look younger nowadays, no need wear something their age hahaha

my dad told me he would prefer the yellow dial for the new OP
subliminal_dreams
post Sep 17 2020, 05:12 PM

Getting Started
65 posts

QUOTE(sun downer @ Sep 17 2020, 01:41 PM)

I think you can find something from Frederique Constant or Hamilton with your budget.. they do make some nice watches with lots of choices, from classic date only to chronos and moonphase also.
RA_2366
post Sep 21 2020, 09:07 PM

27 posts

If your dad (and you) don't really care about brands, I would suggest looking at Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro 600. The build quality is great and has a lot of cool features (ie: swiss movement, quick release bracelet, luminous bezel, etc). They are priced at US$965 on their official website, but there is a £100 discount if you apply a code (valid until 31 oct).

Otherwise, you can also look at pre-owned watches as suggested above
TSsun downer
post Sep 23 2020, 04:03 PM

23 posts

I decided to go for Longines l2-919-4-78-3. Any comments on this watch?

Anyone got suggestions on where to pick this up at a good price? Usually shops offer like 25-30% off retail, right?

This post has been edited by sun downer: Sep 23 2020, 04:04 PM
yvliew
post Sep 26 2020, 01:20 AM

Listening to IU - Strawberry Moon
3,517 posts

QUOTE(sun downer @ Sep 23 2020, 04:03 PM)
I decided to go for Longines l2-919-4-78-3.  Any comments on this watch?

Anyone got suggestions on where to pick this up at a good price? Usually shops offer like 25-30% off retail, right?
Why not try Oris? Oris Aquis diver 73377304124LS. Automatic.

user posted image

Or even Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY111A.BA0928. Quartz

user posted image

Both better looking than longines.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0131sec    0.41    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:00 PM