Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

NTU singapore or Southampton for EEE?

views

TSDurian158654 P
post Aug 14 2020, 05:15 PM, updated 4y ago

Probation
7 posts

Hello, I would like to ask if is a degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering(EEE)(4 years) in NTU Singapore better or a MEng in EEE in Southampton(4 years) better for future employment and salary in the engineering sector? Is MEng gonna have more benefits and higher salary?
MGM
post Aug 14 2020, 05:33 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,384 posts

QUOTE(Durian158654 @ Aug 14 2020, 05:15 PM)
Hello, I would like to ask if is a degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering(EEE)(4 years) in NTU Singapore better or a MEng in EEE in Southampton(4 years) better for future employment and salary in the engineering sector? Is MEng gonna have more benefits and higher salary?
Can't help much but I would choose NTU for its ranking, facility and proximity. Southampton JB(2+2) is disappointingly unappealing. Self funding? Have u done a cost comaparison?
Sum Ting Wong
post Aug 14 2020, 05:34 PM

Getting Started
52 posts

I would recommend University of Southampton if you want to pursue Engineering. University of Southampton has excellent reputation in Engineering field.

Excerpt from Wikipedia s per below:
"The University of Southampton is cited as being the UK's leading university for engineering. The Guardian ranked the university at number 1 in the UK for Mechanical Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering, Naval Architecture, Electronic and Electrical Engineering in June 2010."

Redeyes33
post Aug 14 2020, 05:59 PM

2 posts

Southampton has an open day tomorrow, maybe you can go there if you're in JB and ask the alumni there about their employent
iSean
post Aug 14 2020, 08:43 PM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

Well I would spend my money on NTU EEE for its large number of students and large campus for its schools of EEE.
Also it is much closer to home, if anything bad goes wrong.

Exams there aren't easy for the first 2 years tho. And most of the time you will question why you learn it blink.gif
Do understand that in Malaysia's Electronics Engineering in Malaysia is kinda based on Factory Settings one lah.
And in Electrical side, if you want to get a Professional Engineer, Ir title, and sign and stamps electrical where is the money at approving documentations.

Also please read about NTU's EEE about "One Degree, Many Opportunities" truly means holding an EEE degree.
Means you might study EEE doesn't mean this really applies to your future, and you might branch off to other routes.

Also please do know the difference between "EEE" and "CS/IT" program. And do some serious thinking why you want to do EEE.

Feel free to PM me, if you want to have to take a look on EEE NTU Materials, as I collected their notes for these past few years. smile.gif

#Side Note : I didn't study EEE at NTU ah.

This post has been edited by iSean: Aug 14 2020, 08:44 PM
Just Visiting By
post Aug 14 2020, 09:58 PM

Regular
1,828 posts

I'm a civil engineer, not sure whether this is the same for E&E, but the general consensus is that the degree does not usually matter. In the eyes of the employers', it probably doesn't matter whether you graduate from NTU or Southampton, as both are reputable. If NTU with, say, SEGI, then the choice becomes more apparent.

Also, MEng would not be advantageous, not for E&E. One downside with MEng is that applicants then tend to ask for a higher pay, which generally is a request that will not be entertained as your pay is dependent more on your working experience and not your qualification.

My advice: go Southampton. It's going to be expensive to spend 4 years in NTU. Maybe save the first two in JB, then spend the last two in UK for Southampton. The total cost for 4 years may be almost equivalent, but perhaps you should research more on this before you take my word on it.

This post has been edited by Just Visiting By: Aug 14 2020, 09:59 PM
hksgmy
post Aug 14 2020, 10:24 PM

Doraemon!
4,359 posts

For comparison,

NTU vs Southampton

If the rankings can be believed, one is ranked 6th in the world, the other 51-100
hellothere131495
post Sep 7 2020, 09:45 PM

Casual
447 posts

Three years of B.Eng and one year of M.Eng are equivalent to four years of B.Eng. If you are planning to work in Malaysia, both pathways will make you qualified to be registered as a graduate engineer recognized by the BEM.
PV boy
post Sep 7 2020, 10:59 PM

Getting Started
157 posts

There is risk if your first 2 years result not up to the requirement may not able to proceed M.Eng at Southampton, in other word you can only go for B.Eng if your first 2 years result not good enough.
MGM
post Sep 13 2020, 08:00 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,384 posts

QUOTE(iSean @ Aug 14 2020, 08:43 PM)
Well I would spend my money on NTU EEE for its large number of students and large campus for its schools of EEE.
Also it is much closer to home, if anything bad goes wrong.

Exams there aren't easy for the first 2 years tho. And most of the time you will question why you learn it  blink.gif
Do understand that in Malaysia's Electronics Engineering in Malaysia is kinda based on Factory Settings one lah.
And in Electrical side, if you want to get a Professional Engineer, Ir title, and sign and stamps electrical where is the money at approving documentations.

Also please read about NTU's EEE about "One Degree, Many Opportunities" truly means holding an EEE degree.
Means you might study EEE doesn't mean this really applies to your future, and you might branch off to other routes.

Also please do know the difference between "EEE" and "CS/IT" program. And do some serious thinking why you want to do EEE.

Feel free to PM me, if you want to have to take a look on EEE NTU Materials, as I collected their notes for these past few years. smile.gif

#Side Note : I didn't study EEE at NTU ah.
If I am an employer I would hire u based on your resourcefulness even u r not studying in a good university. thumbsup.gif Wishing u all the success.

Comparing NTU & Southampton, I think one has to compare with the 4-year prgram in UK, cos the 2-year in Southampton JB is simply not worth it just based on the facility.
xenotzu
post Sep 19 2020, 11:12 PM

Regular
1,484 posts

NTU is ranked higher than Southampton. However, more importantly, look at where you want to work later on. With NTU, you have the network and assistance in finding a job in Singapore after you graduate. Earning SG$ compared to MY$. Pre and hopefully post COVID19 pandemic, many professionals work with international firms which allows for overseas work and training. In Malaysia, you may not have those benefits for your career after you graduate from Southampton. In fact, if you wanted to work in Singapore, most employers tend to pick NUS/NTU/SMU graduates over that of overseas universities.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singap...nities-13124590 You only have to look at this video produced by Channel News Asia (Singapore) which shows that even Singaporeans themselves who graduate from overseas universities or private universities in Singapore, are more disadvantaged in the Singapore job market compared to local public universities graduates.
HappyA_Q
post Sep 24 2020, 06:24 AM

Enthusiast
782 posts

I would choose based on affordability rather than BEng vs MEng.
If you're offered into NTU, congratulations, you are in the Top 10 Univ. There will be lots of challenges when studying in SG, which if you give time you will certainly able to overcome it. Also like what other forumers mentioned, you are likely to be hired in SG given graduate from NTU.

Don't be only book smart, be street smart as well, social networking around while in University, search for opportunity to work as intern or part time in engineering firms. Ask around, apply around, network around, don't just study study study. Nowadays experiences worth more than just paper.

I have interviewed many graduates and I always will choose the ones who are not only having a good degree, but also strive to gain some work experiences while studying. Too many spoil brats out there whom purely living using FAMA funds, and lack of understanding of the real world.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0132sec    0.23    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:52 AM