Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Solution to block certain websites

views

TSkenviro
post Aug 13 2020, 01:44 PM, updated 4y ago

Getting Started
134 posts

I am asking a question on behalf of a friend...

He would like to know whether there is any solution (probably a software; think it is a firewall in my opinion) to block certain websites that he visits I think you can figure out that those websites that he visits are not good websites so he wants to be blocked from accessing them. The thing is that he doesn't want anyone to do it for him so that others will know the bad websites that he visits. On the other hand, if he does it himself by using a firewall and enter the list of websites to be blocked in it, he can easily unblock later.

This means that he wants a solution where he can enter the list of websites to be blocked from his computer and will find it very hard (if not impossible) to unblock them.
Does anyone know of such a solution?

Thank you in advance for your answers.
waghyu
post Aug 13 2020, 01:51 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,389 posts

QUOTE(kenviro @ Aug 13 2020, 01:44 PM)
I am asking a question on behalf of a friend...

He would like to know whether there is any solution (probably a software; think it is a firewall in my opinion) to block certain websites that he visits I think you can figure out that those websites that he visits are not good websites so he wants to be blocked from accessing them. The thing is that he doesn't want anyone to do it for him so that others will know the bad websites that he visits. On the other hand, if he does it himself by using a firewall and enter the list of websites to be blocked in it, he can easily unblock later.

This means that he wants a solution where he can enter the list of websites to be blocked from his computer and will find it very hard (if not impossible) to unblock them.
Does anyone know of such a solution? 

Thank you in advance for your answers.
block at network level at home/office, or block only at specific laptop / pc ? Two way to implement this.
l4nunm4l4y4
post Aug 13 2020, 02:02 PM

Enthusiast
749 posts

Just use browser addon, look for "BlockSite" addon.
Ewww!
post Aug 14 2020, 12:14 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,010 posts

QUOTE(l4nunm4l4y4 @ Aug 13 2020, 02:02 PM)
Just use browser addon, look for "BlockSite" addon.
Wow! I didn't know about BlockSite, until now.
Thanks, man.
l4nunm4l4y4
post Aug 14 2020, 08:15 AM

Enthusiast
749 posts

QUOTE(Ewww! @ Aug 14 2020, 12:14 AM)
Wow! I didn't know about BlockSite, until now.
Thanks, man.
No worries mate, enjoy!
daisiesdontdoit92
post Aug 19 2020, 05:56 AM

On my way
574 posts

The app/add-on could be great for keeping other ppl away from some websites and content, but it too easy for your friend to pause the block when he really want to see those sites again (late on sleepless night). I think he can just put his password in and see any website he want.
Maybe a good method is to set up the app/add-on, create desired filter, then lose the password. Maybe even better is for his friend - you - to decide password so he can't see those site unless you give him password. It often take a good friend to overcome temptation.
Loubader
post Feb 16 2021, 10:15 PM

3 posts

There are search engines backed by hijackers blocking such add-ons, they are very persistent, both in mac and Windows and I assume in Linux as well... https://bitadvisors.com/education/search-baron-virus-mac

user posted image
Peter_APIIT
post Oct 15 2021, 02:13 PM

Casual
364 posts

Squid software from Linux.
JLA
post Nov 4 2021, 07:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,299 posts

block at DNS router setting
block using hosts file