Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Home Networking Two separate services and modem in a house?, Inquiry

views

SUSCandy12
post Aug 15 2020, 09:27 PM

Regular
1,878 posts

QUOTE(YoungMan @ Aug 15 2020, 03:11 PM)
Bufferfloat is one of many issue that is holding some people switching to Maxis, unless their taman infra is by Maxis. There ought to be another fibre infra provider, or maxis should invest more in providing infra rather than renting from the landlord ISP.
What TM Wholesale is implementing with this double level throttling method with other retail ISPS/RSPs other than their own Unifi is an act of UNEQUAL access and UNFAIR competition for being awarded by the government to be the nation's HSBB/national fiberization buildout initiative. A wholesale provider CANNOT favor its own in-house retail ISP over other players because EVERYONE pays the same rate for wholesale port pricing.

If this is allowed then the Malaysian government MUST pull back this award from them and ALLOW a 2nd fixed fibre infrastructure provider to access areas which they already cover to provide equal access opportunity for other ISPs gain fair grounds.

QUOTE(YoungMan @ Aug 15 2020, 03:11 PM)
Well you cannot do that anymore starting March or April this year. At least that is what I get to know for TM's line. You need to register with new provider and submit transfer ID to existing provider. The existing provider will then terminate your line when new provider come to install. However if your new provider do not come on time to install, you risk having no internet if your current provider terminate the connection before new provider complete their installation. This is what happen switching between UniFi to Maxis and vice versa. Don't know how it goes for Allo and the rest.
So it means that only 1 ISP is allowed by DEFAULT per home address?
This opens up further questioning about TM Wholesale's purpose of providing a 4-port fibre modem/BTU(ONT) to home customers with phone ports when you're now implicitly saying that only 1 ISP is allowed per home address.

Why the need to reserve Unifi subscription specifically for port 1 with no Bufferfloat restrictions but other ISPs are forced to use port 2 instead with ONT speed throttling? Why only Unifi gets to use the phone ports on the ONT while other ISPs need to provide their voice call service on their routers instead?

It seems like they want to give their own Unifi brand "Bumi" privileges while stiffling the competition by restricting other competing ISPS on their HSBB network with the BUFFERFLOAT double level throttling.

This is already a PROOF of ANTI-COMPETITION PRACTICE and UNEQUAL ACCESS for shared national fibre initiative. Only the previous BN government allowed such practices to take place. Surely other ISPs are now compiling reports and file COMPLAINTS against TM Wholesale to MCMC in the near future.

In the case of TNB Allo, by default they offer all home subscribers a 1-port MINI fibre modem(ONT) which provides NEUTRAL/EQUAL 1Gbps access to all partner ISPs without 2-level Bufferfloat throttling. Meaning the SINGLE port has FULL access to symmetrical 1Gbps speed to all ISPs and the subscriber is throttled only by the account they're assigned. Should the business customers need additional requests such as needing to have more than 1 ISP or wants to provide their own transceiver sticks for their own enterprise grade routers, it can be arranged.

For example today you are using Maxis 300Mbps account with their supplied router, tomorrow you decide switch to another ISP such as CityBB/DiGi with a 500Mbps account.All you need to do is swap the ISP supplied router and instantaneously attain 500Mbps speed increase with the neutral 1Gbps port provided by the wholesale fibre provider, Allo. No additional ONT profile updating is needed since by default, all provisioned ONTs to home address is not throttled.

This post has been edited by Candy12: Aug 15 2020, 09:30 PM
YoungMan
post Aug 15 2020, 09:57 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,394 posts

QUOTE(Candy12 @ Aug 15 2020, 10:27 PM)
What TM Wholesale is implementing with this double level throttling method with other retail ISPS/RSPs other than their own Unifi is an act of UNEQUAL access and UNFAIR competition for being awarded by the government to be the nation's HSBB/national fiberization buildout initiative. A wholesale provider CANNOT favor its own in-house retail ISP over other players because EVERYONE pays the same rate for wholesale port pricing.

If this is allowed then the Malaysian government MUST pull back this award from them and ALLOW a 2nd fixed fibre infrastructure provider to access areas which they already cover to provide equal access opportunity for other ISPs gain fair grounds.
So it means that only 1 ISP is allowed by DEFAULT per home address?
This opens up further questioning about TM Wholesale's purpose of providing a 4-port fibre modem/BTU(ONT) to home customers with phone ports when you're now implicitly saying that only 1 ISP is allowed per home address.

Why the need to reserve Unifi subscription specifically for port 1 with no Bufferfloat restrictions but other ISPs are forced to use port 2 instead with ONT speed throttling? Why only Unifi gets to use the phone ports on the ONT while other ISPs need to provide their voice call service on their routers instead?

It seems like they want to give their own Unifi brand "Bumi" privileges while stiffling the competition by restricting other competing ISPS on their HSBB network with the BUFFERFLOAT double level throttling.

This is already a PROOF of ANTI-COMPETITION PRACTICE and UNEQUAL ACCESS for shared national fibre initiative. Only the previous BN government allowed such practices to take place. Surely other ISPs are now compiling reports and file COMPLAINTS against TM Wholesale to MCMC in the near future.

In the case of TNB Allo, by default they offer all home subscribers a 1-port MINI fibre modem(ONT) which provides NEUTRAL/EQUAL 1Gbps access to all partner ISPs without 2-level Bufferfloat throttling. Meaning the SINGLE port has FULL access to symmetrical 1Gbps speed to all ISPs and the subscriber is throttled only by the account they're assigned. Should the business customers need additional requests such as needing to have more than 1 ISP or wants to provide their own transceiver sticks for their own enterprise grade routers, it can be arranged.

For example today you are using Maxis 300Mbps account with their supplied router, tomorrow you decide switch to another ISP such as CityBB/DiGi with a 500Mbps account.All you need to do is swap the ISP supplied router and instantaneously attain 500Mbps speed increase with the neutral 1Gbps port provided by the wholesale fibre provider, Allo. No additional ONT profile updating is needed since by default, all provisioned ONTs to home address is not throttled.
No matter how you debate this, we can't change anything. Actually I think the biggest mistake is to award HSBB infra to a broadband provider. There should be a company taking charge on infra development and not an ISP.
SUSCandy12
post Aug 15 2020, 10:11 PM

Regular
1,878 posts

QUOTE(YoungMan @ Aug 15 2020, 09:57 PM)
No matter how you debate this, we can't change anything. Actually I think the biggest mistake is to award HSBB infra to a broadband provider. There should be a company taking charge on infra development and not an ISP.
In Singapore they appointed a neutral company called Netlink Trust to build the passive dark fibre build-out across the city. This neutral company is NOT involved in ISP business or Layer 3 active wholesale switching.

Their role is just to lay dark fiber and lease spare strands to interested bidding wholesale active companies such as Nucleus Connect, Singtel, StarHub,M1,SuperInternet..etc as backbone/backhaul/ which also sells bandwidth to retail ISPs similar to MVNOs in the mobile telco business.
Anime4000
post Aug 19 2020, 08:49 PM

Regular
1,918 posts

QUOTE(Candy12 @ Aug 15 2020, 09:27 PM)

TM supplied Huawei ONT is all LAN port is equal,
TM using configure OLT to Provisioning all ONT according to TM configuration, so making other ISP looks bad, I trying to hack this by buying 3rd party ONT that support Huawei Provisioning and override TM Provisioning.

I wonder if buy 1 Port ONT and plug into Unifi, what happen to Provisioning for LAN 2 since non-existing?
SUSCandy12
post Aug 19 2020, 09:42 PM

Regular
1,878 posts

QUOTE(Anime4000 @ Aug 19 2020, 08:49 PM)
TM supplied Huawei ONT is all LAN port is equal,
TM using configure OLT to Provisioning all ONT according to TM configuration, so making other ISP looks bad, I trying to hack this by buying 3rd party ONT that support Huawei Provisioning and override TM Provisioning.

I wonder if buy 1 Port ONT and plug into Unifi, what happen to Provisioning for LAN 2 since non-existing?
Yes, double standard provisioning on their wholesale part for other ISPs riding on their HSBB network.

Compared to TNB's Allo which provides single port mini Huawei ONT, all different ISP that plugs their router into it is given fair FULL 1Gbps symmetrical port access. Your speed will only be limited to the ISP's account profile, so no double level throttling/BUFFERFLOAT issues.

boxsystem
post Aug 20 2020, 07:55 AM

Legend
1,573 posts

QUOTE(Candy12 @ Aug 19 2020, 09:42 PM)
Yes, double standard provisioning on their wholesale part for other ISPs riding on their HSBB network.

Compared to TNB's Allo which provides single port mini Huawei ONT, all different ISP that plugs their router into it is given fair FULL 1Gbps symmetrical port access. Your speed will only be limited to the ISP's account profile, so no double level throttling/BUFFERFLOAT issues.
Allo allows subscribing to 2 different ISPs?
SUSCandy12
post Aug 20 2020, 01:31 PM

Regular
1,878 posts

QUOTE(boxsystem @ Aug 20 2020, 07:55 AM)
Allo allows subscribing to 2 different ISPs?
With special request and customized ordering.

Customer can also provide their own optical stick transceiver and enterprise grade routers by consulting with Allo for compatibility.

johnsonxray
post Feb 7 2021, 02:15 PM

Getting Started
115 posts

Hello guys..tumpang ask here, I am renting a room with other tenants in the house, and the house currently has Maxis Home Fibre installed, so the TM Modem Port 2 is occupied..
Read from other posts that Port 1 is only for Unifi..but I myself I want to sign up Celcom Home Fibre, can it use other Ports because if im not wrong, Maxis/Celcom/Digi can only use Port 2?
Anime4000
post Feb 9 2021, 11:30 PM

Regular
1,918 posts

QUOTE(johnsonxray @ Feb 7 2021, 02:15 PM)
Hello guys..tumpang ask here, I am renting a room with other tenants in the house, and the house currently has Maxis Home Fibre installed, so the TM Modem Port 2 is occupied..
Read from other posts that Port 1 is only for Unifi..but I myself I want to sign up Celcom Home Fibre, can it use other Ports because if im not wrong, Maxis/Celcom/Digi can only use Port 2?
Today I learn something new:
Once TM OLT perform OMCI, ONT receive a OTA update (update to locked firmware). not from TR069

Thing is,
1. LAN 1 only for Unifi, LAN 2 for other ISP.
2. Every service have own VLAN ID, I saw TM Home Fiber line connect Cell Tower Backbone, share Home and 4G Tower under single cable.

So,
You may need ask TM and Celcom, tell them that home have Maxis, Either:
1. Share same LAN 2 Port, using dumb switch or smart switch to bridge.
Sharing same port is bad, if Maxis using 800Mbps, you also register Celcom 800Mbps, it cause bandwidth problem

2. Special OMCI, LAN 3 for Extra ISP
This is good each LAN have own dedicated port and bandwidth, GPON has 2.4Gbps downstream: LAN 2 and 3 can achieve 800Mbps each

This post has been edited by Anime4000: Feb 9 2021, 11:30 PM
hddexpreso
post May 24 2023, 03:04 AM

19 posts

QUOTE(Anime4000 @ Feb 9 2021, 11:30 PM)
Today I learn something new:
Once TM OLT perform OMCI, ONT receive a OTA update (update to locked firmware). not from TR069

Thing is,
1. LAN 1 only for Unifi, LAN 2 for other ISP.
2. Every service have own VLAN ID, I saw TM Home Fiber line connect Cell Tower Backbone, share Home and 4G Tower under single cable.

So,
You may need ask TM and Celcom, tell them that home have Maxis, Either:
1. Share same LAN 2 Port, using dumb switch or smart switch to bridge.
Sharing same port is bad, if Maxis using 800Mbps, you also register Celcom 800Mbps, it cause bandwidth problem

2. Special OMCI, LAN 3 for Extra ISP
This is good each LAN have own dedicated port and bandwidth, GPON has 2.4Gbps downstream: LAN 2 and 3 can achieve 800Mbps each
Are we still able to apply for two ISP under same address? Example unifi 100Mbps and maxis 800Mbps under one home address?
Oltromen Ripot
post May 24 2023, 10:24 AM

👍 999999 person Likes this member
3,796 posts

QUOTE(hddexpreso @ May 24 2023, 03:04 AM)
Are we still able to apply for two ISP under same address? Example unifi 100Mbps and maxis 800Mbps under one home address?
I asked TM before Aidilfitri on the premise of "if I have to vacate current residence with contracted Unifi to another residence with contracted Maxis; both under my name".

The conditions to have more than 1 subscription in same residence:
  • subscriptions of same ISP
  • subscriptions are of different owners, cannot be same person

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0124sec    0.64    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:25 PM