Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

How is the biotechnology industry in Malaysia?

views

TSmyshinyannulus
post Aug 9 2020, 12:05 PM, updated 4y ago

Getting Started
142 posts

I currently just started Foundation in Science with my desired degree being medicine. I am aware of the concerns around the current state of a medical degree in Malaysia. Long housemanship queue, joblessness, student debts... So I do have other options. I just intend to work in the healthcare field because that's an industry I really want to work in. My 2nd choice has always been Pharmacy, but even that has been starting to become saturated in Malaysia.

Lately I've been having a lot of interest in Biotechnology. I've always liked bio, and I've always liked technology, so boom! Biotechnology! Of course, various universities in the country offer a Biotech degree, but I have no idea if there are many job opportunities out there in the country after I graduate, and also how much they pay. To clarify, my degree MUST be studied in Malaysia and I MUST work in Malaysia after graduation for a number of years as I'm bonded to the government via a KPM scholarship. I also prefer working in a lab (ie. research) over academia and entrepreneurship/marketing/sales, and I'd really like to go for Postgrad overseas.

Is there anyone working in the Biotech industry or anyone has a Biotech degree in Malaysia? How's the working life? Also, which Malaysian uni's Biotech degree is more reputable in your opinion?
iSean
post Aug 9 2020, 09:58 PM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

QUOTE(myshinyannulus @ Aug 9 2020, 12:05 PM)
I currently just started Foundation in Science with my desired degree being medicine. I am aware of the concerns around the current state of a medical degree in Malaysia. Long housemanship queue, joblessness, student debts... So I do have other options. I just intend to work in the healthcare field because that's an industry I really want to work in. My 2nd choice has always been Pharmacy, but even that has been starting to become saturated in Malaysia.

Lately I've been having a lot of interest in Biotechnology. I've always liked bio, and I've always liked technology, so boom! Biotechnology! Of course, various universities in the country offer a Biotech degree, but I have no idea if there are many job opportunities out there in the country after I graduate, and also how much they pay. To clarify, my degree MUST be studied in Malaysia and I MUST work in Malaysia after graduation for a number of years as I'm bonded to the government via a KPM scholarship. I also prefer working in a lab (ie. research) over academia and entrepreneurship/marketing/sales, and I'd really like to go for Postgrad overseas.

Is there anyone working in the Biotech industry or anyone has a Biotech degree in Malaysia? How's the working life? Also, which Malaysian uni's Biotech degree is more reputable in your opinion?
hmm.gif Does your Foundation have a Physics included ?

Not sure why you didn't considered the A-Level routes tho, because I remember JPA/KPM Scholarship allows that, despite not listed in their degree. laugh.gif
Not too late for a U-Turn to change Pre-U Program laugh.gif

Because you can go still apply for UPU Online for UM/USM/UKM Medical, for a MBBS, for about less than RM 30k for your entire 5 year degree.

Anyhow, if can get into Pharmacy better than going for Biotech I guess laugh.gif
Just get a quick search about Biotech companies in Malaysia on Jobstreet, you get a general idea on its demand, and see how many companies you can actually recognize from these industries.

This post has been edited by iSean: Aug 9 2020, 10:37 PM
TSmyshinyannulus
post Aug 10 2020, 08:14 PM

Getting Started
142 posts

QUOTE(iSean @ Aug 9 2020, 09:58 PM)
hmm.gif  Does your Foundation have a Physics included ?

Not sure why you didn't considered the A-Level routes tho, because I remember JPA/KPM Scholarship allows that, despite not listed in their degree.  laugh.gif
Not too late for a U-Turn to change Pre-U Program  laugh.gif

Because you can go still apply for UPU Online for UM/USM/UKM Medical, for a MBBS, for about less than RM 30k for your entire 5 year degree.

Anyhow, if can get into Pharmacy better than going for Biotech I guess  laugh.gif
Just get a quick search about Biotech companies in Malaysia on Jobstreet, you get a general idea on its demand, and see how many companies you can actually recognize from these industries.
Yes, my Foundation includes Physics. I took Foundation as it's faster and the grades easier to maintain for scholarship heheh. Yup, Biotech is really scarce on Jobstreet, but I find healthcare jobs in general are scarce.
yolo1990
post Aug 10 2020, 08:18 PM

Getting Started
161 posts

i think biotech industry is growing rapidly in singapore
MGM
post Aug 10 2020, 10:14 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,384 posts

QUOTE(myshinyannulus @ Aug 9 2020, 12:05 PM)

Biotech in Malaysia is one of those that have a lot of noise but no progress, something we r good at. Singapore is a much better place.
Many has gone into biotech degree thinking of becoming a reseacher only to find out that u need Postgrad to do that.
Can see that u r more keen in bio-medical science than bio-medical engineering.
Human Nature
post Aug 10 2020, 10:35 PM

- student of human nature -
All Stars
25,131 posts

Biotech was a seen as a key emerging industry under Pak Lah and 9th Malaysian plan. The was a sharp rise in biotech students intake then. My cousin was one of them. I think the national aspiration died when the was a change (turmoil) in the premiership. My cousin couldn't find a job that fit her skills, so she did her masters and then now doing PhD in Canada. I told her to stay put and work there smile.gif
Sum Ting Wong
post Aug 11 2020, 10:17 AM

Getting Started
52 posts

Biotech is actually a key field in the Western countries.
But sadly in Malaysia, the opportunities to pursue it as a career is limited.
So if u still want to pursue the course, u have to consider to move abroad to get a meaningful career after u graduate.
TSmyshinyannulus
post Aug 11 2020, 12:43 PM

Getting Started
142 posts

QUOTE(MGM @ Aug 10 2020, 10:14 PM)
Biotech in Malaysia is one of those that have a lot of noise but no progress, something we r good at. Singapore is a much better place.
Many has gone into biotech degree thinking of becoming a reseacher only to find out that u need Postgrad to do that.
Can see that  u r more keen in bio-medical science than bio-medical engineering.
What about Pharmacy? Do you think there are more job opportunities for Pharm graduates compared to Medicine?
Lfearlessly
post Oct 28 2020, 10:54 AM

Getting Started
148 posts

Sad to tell you that biotechnology industry in Malaysia is still at Baby-stage.
If you google malaysia biotechnology industry (Including Pharmaceutical and Medical Devices industry), there are very less company or industry invested in this field.
IMO, Penang is the only states that trying very hard to develop biotechnlogy industry (mostly medical devices).
Besides that, the salary for this field is not competitive at all because of low demand and high supply, the basic salary for starter in 2020 (Covid period) around RM2200 only. Most of the biotechnology graduate will involve themselve in Quality Assurance field.

If you're looking for high salary, then can consider Japan (learn Japanese language), US, Europe, or Australia. Malaysia need to invest alot of money to this field, as the equipment or capex for this field is very high.

LostBoy93
post Oct 28 2020, 04:46 PM

Getting Started
71 posts

People who I know that study biotech end up doing something else when they grad.
QBeck37
post Oct 29 2020, 05:14 AM

49 posts

Currently quite limited, unfortunately. But biotech is the subject of the future, so Malaysia will catch up.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0132sec    0.31    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:47 PM