Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

price for changing car engine bearing, Iswara 1.3 manual, labor and parts

views

TSlihongmint
post Aug 9 2020, 08:40 AM, updated 4y ago

Getting Started
164 posts

I'm in KL Setapak area.
My car engine has rattling noise in 2000 rpm.
The mechanic has two solution
1. Try change con rod bearing in engine. Part and labor is 300 to 400.
2. Take out the engine and see which part is worn out. Parts and labor is 2000

The iswara car is 20 yrs old. Car value is low so I think to try on first solution first. But is the labor need to be so expensive? Con rod bearing is just 50 ringgit but I don't know if there is a lot of work.
Please advise sifu
SleeplessEyes
post Aug 9 2020, 08:53 AM

I'm me bro, let me be me
2,390 posts

Well if you say Rm 50 bearing is expensive you have forgotten that most of the cost goes to workmanship. Unless you have very good automotive mechanic skills and the necessary tools at home to dismantle the con rod bearing , it's best to leave it to the experience mech.

If u find the price is too high, hunt another one.
zeng
post Aug 9 2020, 09:12 AM

Regular
1,760 posts

Why not use 20W50 to try tide over the problem for a 20 yo ?
TSlihongmint
post Aug 9 2020, 10:05 AM

Getting Started
164 posts

QUOTE(SleeplessEyes @ Aug 9 2020, 08:53 AM)
Well if you say Rm 50 bearing is expensive you have forgotten that most of the cost goes to workmanship. Unless you have very good automotive mechanic skills and the necessary tools at home to dismantle the con rod bearing , it's best to leave it to the experience mech.

If u find the price is too high, hunt another one.
I said 50 ringgit for part is not expensive but labour and part cost almost 400
I am asking if it is reasonable
TSlihongmint
post Aug 9 2020, 10:57 AM

Getting Started
164 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Aug 9 2020, 09:12 AM)
Why not use 20W50 to try tide over the problem for a 20 yo ?
Is using 20w50 now
zeng
post Aug 9 2020, 11:57 AM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(lihongmint @ Aug 9 2020, 10:57 AM)
Is using 20w50 now
Do you always drive this car at the same/constant rpm or road speed most of the time (say, >80% of the time ) or have been having too long an oil change intervals (unlikely, IMO) for oil quality in use ? ......
as these could promote stuck piston ring causing rattling noise ...

Also by rattling noise, are you referring to rattling noise grrr..... as you pick up 'slowly' at transmission top gear trying to be gentle in driving ? If yes, that is caused by poor driving habit or technique and it has nothing to do with bearings , be it conrod or main bearings .

This post has been edited by zeng: Aug 9 2020, 11:57 AM
6UE5T
post Aug 9 2020, 01:33 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(lihongmint @ Aug 9 2020, 10:05 AM)
I said 50 ringgit for part is not expensive but labour and part cost almost 400
I am asking if it is reasonable
Very cheap actually.
kdr93
post Aug 9 2020, 03:08 PM

On my way
534 posts

Typically to replace conrod bearing they can open the engine from below...so its not as extensive as complete engine opening and rebuild. I thnk the price they quoted you is reasonable.

TSlihongmint
post Aug 9 2020, 05:37 PM

Getting Started
164 posts

QUOTE(kdr93 @ Aug 9 2020, 03:08 PM)
Typically to replace conrod bearing they can open the engine from below...so its not as extensive as complete engine opening and rebuild. I thnk the price they quoted you is reasonable.
Thanks. Basically a few of other workshop only recommended overhaul and not just changed con rod bearing.
I am not sure as my 20 yrs old car market value only 1.5k worth overhaul that cost more than that
TSlihongmint
post Aug 9 2020, 06:01 PM

Getting Started
164 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Aug 9 2020, 11:57 AM)
Do you always drive this car at the same/constant rpm or road speed most of the time (say, >80% of the time ) or have been having too long an oil change intervals (unlikely, IMO) for oil quality in use ? ......
as these could promote stuck piston ring causing rattling noise ...

Also by rattling noise, are you referring to rattling noise grrr..... as you pick up 'slowly' at transmission top gear trying to be gentle in driving ? If yes, that is caused by poor driving habit or technique and it  has nothing to do with bearings , be it conrod or main bearings .
My 1.3M iswara is equal to 70km/h at 2000 rpm. So I usually at 70 to 90 km/h for my drive from home to office. I don't drive over 100km/h consider it is a 20 yrs old car

The engine noise is trrr. It can happen in first gear if I press petrol harder but noise gone when switch to 2nd gear as rpm will drop below 2000 rpm. It is noticeable at fifth gear at 70km/h above.
I am not sure if my driving habit is bad but it considered I drive gently. Switch gear when engine noise is high or high rpm. But I could be wrong
e-lite
post Aug 9 2020, 09:34 PM

On my way
665 posts

Bro, I think the best long term solution is to scrap your car or full overhaul your engine. Spend RM400 not guarantee with solve your issue. The issue might be something else
lsm1991
post Aug 10 2020, 09:22 AM

Getting Started
297 posts

rod bearings, there are telltale signs
-your minyak sure sparkly as hell (unless you have repeatedly ignored this)
-the rattle will come from the bottom end
-your oil pressure will be low
-IF... the damage is one specific piston, cutting spark on said piston would eliminate or reduce the knocking significantly

This post has been edited by lsm1991: Aug 10 2020, 09:23 AM
Archemedia
post Aug 10 2020, 10:52 AM

Casual
364 posts

Confirm engine problem?

Rattle can come from somewhere else too

If confirm is engine problem, can try to find a good halfcut engine and just transplant... might be cheaper
TSlihongmint
post Aug 10 2020, 11:35 AM

Getting Started
164 posts

QUOTE(Archemedia @ Aug 10 2020, 10:52 AM)
Confirm engine problem?

Rattle can come from somewhere else too

If confirm is engine problem, can try to find a good halfcut engine and just transplant... might be cheaper
I read the comments in Low at long time ago is preferred overhaul than half cut engine as you don't know the condition of the half cut engne.

I am not sure if this is better. half cut engine below 1000? no need go puspakom?
TSlihongmint
post Aug 10 2020, 11:36 AM

Getting Started
164 posts

QUOTE(lsm1991 @ Aug 10 2020, 09:22 AM)
rod bearings, there are telltale signs
-your minyak sure sparkly as hell (unless you have repeatedly ignored this)
-the rattle will come from the bottom end
-your oil pressure will be low
-IF... the damage is one specific piston, cutting spark on said piston would eliminate or reduce the knocking significantly
i check with mechanic, change piston is additional cost of the overhaul price.
piston is 500 to 600 for a second hand one....
lsm1991
post Aug 10 2020, 11:53 AM

Getting Started
297 posts

QUOTE(lihongmint @ Aug 10 2020, 11:36 AM)
i check with mechanic, change piston is additional cost of the overhaul price.
piston is 500 to 600 for a second hand one....
no... im not saying ur pistons ade issue, but cutting spark to the cylinder woth the bad bearing will cause a change...

^ we call this troubleshooting (you do that before you simply start changing parts)
zeng
post Aug 10 2020, 11:58 AM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(lihongmint @ Aug 9 2020, 06:01 PM)
My 1.3M iswara is equal to 70km/h at 2000 rpm. So I usually at 70 to 90 km/h for my drive from home to office.  I don't drive over 100km/h consider it is a  20 yrs old car

The engine noise is trrr. It can happen in first gear if I press petrol harder but noise gone when switch to 2nd gear as  rpm will drop below 2000 rpm.  It is noticeable at fifth gear at 70km/h above.
I am not sure if my driving habit is bad but it considered I drive gently.  Switch gear when engine noise is high or high rpm. But I could be wrong
My hunch is your 'slow and steady' but 'poor' driving habit is causing engine pinging/or knock or engine detonation , which typically happens to long-used engine AND slow and steady fuel-economy conscious driving style among seniors or ladies .

The ringgit-free way to overcome this trrr... noise is ,among others :
a )always engage lower gear (or switch on the 'OFF OD overdrive' button for automatics) during pick up ;
b )avoid engaging top (5th) gear at slow engine rpm below say, 1800 - 2200 rpm ......
instead always drive a bit more aggresively at higher rpm of 3000 or more , if need be switching on the 'OFF OD' button to reduce road speed (if you feel is too fast for you) ;
c )At slow crusing speed in top gear below 2500 engine rpm , always 'tekan minyak' a bit before climbing a hill slope or downshift one gear speed , etc .

I can assure you replacing con-rod and/or main bearings (as recommended by workshops) by itself will not solve your engine pinging/knocking problem as encountered above .

Only after changing your 'slow and steady' , but IMO 'poor' driving habit by driving more 'aggressively' can you overcome the trr....rr... noise problem in typically long-used engine especially during pick up or entering into an uphill slope .

Without changing your 'smooth and baby'ish ' driving style , you will encounter the same problem with brand new engine or brand new car after say 10-15 years of usage .

I don't recommend you spending money now on decarbonising the engine/replacing new spark plugs/ignition system or retune the engine etc etc since you are not really a driving enthusiast (as I find them unnecessary for you , for now) .

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefo...etonation+noise

This post has been edited by zeng: Aug 10 2020, 12:13 PM
TSlihongmint
post Aug 10 2020, 11:58 AM

Getting Started
164 posts

QUOTE(lsm1991 @ Aug 10 2020, 11:53 AM)
no... im not saying ur pistons ade issue, but cutting spark to the cylinder woth the bad bearing will cause a change...

^ we call this troubleshooting (you do that before you simply start changing parts)
you must be boss of workshop...
Need mechanic to check right?

BTW, is overhaul come with quality warranty in Malaysia?
lsm1991
post Aug 10 2020, 12:06 PM

Getting Started
297 posts

QUOTE(lihongmint @ Aug 10 2020, 11:58 AM)
you must be boss of workshop...
Need mechanic to check right?

BTW, is overhaul come with quality warranty in Malaysia?
me... noooo....

minyak when you tukar oil could have seen...
sound you can sendiri dengar where its coming from
oil pressure more difficult
cutting spark is as easy as pulling the plug leds..
TSlihongmint
post Aug 10 2020, 01:09 PM

Getting Started
164 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Aug 10 2020, 11:58 AM)
My hunch is your 'slow and steady' but 'poor' driving habit is causing engine pinging/or knock or engine detonation , which typically happens to long-used engine AND slow and steady fuel-economy conscious driving style among seniors or ladies .

The ringgit-free way to overcome this trrr... noise  is ,among others :
a )always engage lower gear (or switch on the 'OFF OD overdrive' button for automatics) during pick up ;
b )avoid engaging top (5th) gear at slow engine rpm below say, 1800 - 2200 rpm ......
instead always drive a bit more aggresively at higher rpm of 3000 or more , if need be switching on the 'OFF OD' button to reduce road speed (if you feel is too fast for you) ;
c )At slow crusing speed in top gear below 2500 engine rpm , always 'tekan minyak' a bit before climbing a hill slope or downshift one gear speed , etc .

I can assure you replacing con-rod and/or main bearings (as recommended by workshops) by itself will not solve your engine pinging/knocking problem as encountered above .

Only after changing your 'slow and steady' , but IMO 'poor' driving habit by driving more 'aggressively' can you overcome the trr....rr... noise problem in typically long-used engine especially during pick up or entering into an uphill slope .

Without changing your 'smooth and baby'ish ' driving style , you will encounter the same problem with brand new engine or brand new car after say 10-15 years of usage .

I don't recommend you spending money now on decarbonising the engine/replacing new spark plugs/ignition system or retune the engine etc etc since you are not really a driving enthusiast (as I find them unnecessary for you , for now) .

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefo...etonation+noise
I think it is a paradigm shift for the good driving habit and it will be some time to have a new driving habit.

At the meantime, the short term solution is either to scrap this old car or overhaul as I don't think it is safe to drive long distance.

If overhaul is hope it can last me a few more years but the mechanic reluntant to provide any warranty

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0128sec    0.30    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:20 PM