Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

is clothing face mask allowed?, or surgical mask is a must?

views

hksgmy
post Aug 4 2020, 07:33 PM

Doraemon!
4,359 posts

Cloth-material masks are useful against droplet transmission eg from sneezing etc but virtually useless against viral particles - it simply doesn’t have the barrier capabilities of the 3-ply or N95 type masks.

It’s better than nothing - and don’t forget, if everyone wears a mask, the protection is essentially doubled.
mushigen
post Aug 4 2020, 08:16 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,502 posts

QUOTE(Ngto @ Aug 4 2020, 07:28 PM)
And I am saying doesn't mean it absorbs saliva it can prevent it from escaping. It needs a waterproof layer to prevent saliva from escaping.

That's the different between absorption and waterproof .
And I already said that's the function of the outer layer.
jesserider223
post Aug 4 2020, 08:42 PM

Getting Started
173 posts

still no one answer if cloth mask will cause 1k fine

i was curiously too and just hoping to learn from this thread

honestly i did google search including sabri name but didnt get an answer too

i just really like cloth mask compared to surgical one bcos it's just sturdier

Human Nature
post Aug 4 2020, 08:52 PM

- student of human nature -
All Stars
25,132 posts

QUOTE(jesserider223 @ Aug 4 2020, 08:42 PM)

Don't think so there is any fine. The SMS from MKN so far is 'digalakkan'
yourinfohere
post Aug 4 2020, 08:53 PM

Getting Started
189 posts

RM1K fine I don't know but below maybe you can consider.

If you DIY cloth mask and only because sturdier, not wish wear 3 ply surgical mask, just cut the surgical mask, take the center layer place in your center DIY cloth mask, this is better than just wear DIY cloth mask. If can at least wear 3 ply mask.

This post has been edited by yourinfohere: Aug 4 2020, 08:54 PM
Ngto
post Aug 4 2020, 09:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,268 posts

QUOTE(mushigen @ Aug 4 2020, 08:16 PM)
And I already said that's the function of the outer layer.
Of course. That's what I am saying. I didn't say the inner layer is the waterproof layer.

I just said if you want to proof that 3 ply surgical mask is waterproof just hold mask like a cup shape, and pour a bit of water on top the inside layer ( to demonstrate saliva flowing from inside mask to outer ) and if the water won't pass through (because of the waterproof outer ply) then it is authentic.

This post has been edited by Ngto: Aug 4 2020, 09:40 PM
Ewww!
post Aug 4 2020, 11:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,010 posts

QUOTE(jaycee1 @ Aug 4 2020, 07:10 PM)
I usually order in bulk online. Because we use it at work.

I use the n95 and kn95 in conjuction to my 3M 3200 depending on my site conditions.

But shopee has some kn95 masks going for cheap now. Price slowly adjusting to pre covid. Just received 100 for rm169 with 10% cashback from shopee. Local seller. Yes they are not as good as the 3m n95 but it's good enough. Seller sells even more cheap at higher quantities. Screen shot below.

If want small quantities, just buy from pharmacy.

user posted image
Ahh, thanks for this, brah. Gonna get some from shoppe too.

This post has been edited by Ewww!: Aug 4 2020, 11:26 PM
GamersFamilia
post Aug 5 2020, 11:38 AM

Videogames Enthusiast , An Avid Gamer and Videogames Collector
All Stars
13,071 posts

go for surgical mask , im wearing a surgical mask .. definitely better then cloth type of face mask
hirano
post Aug 5 2020, 03:05 PM

凸(`△´#)
3,260 posts

QUOTE(jesserider223 @ Aug 4 2020, 08:42 PM)

Perhaps you should search first.
Refer post #45
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4947007/+40

It is allowed, but only certain fabric mask type. Not all. Refer attachment inside there
cassian948
post Aug 5 2020, 03:07 PM

Enthusiast
889 posts

Malaysia care more not to get fine by officer vs
buy a mask that really follows specifications.
Zot
post Aug 5 2020, 03:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(Ngto @ Aug 4 2020, 09:38 PM)
Of course. That's what I am saying. I didn't say the inner layer is the waterproof layer.

I just said if you want to proof that 3 ply surgical mask is waterproof just hold mask like a cup shape, and pour a bit of water on top the inside layer ( to demonstrate saliva flowing from inside mask to outer ) and if  the water won't pass through (because of the waterproof outer ply) then it is authentic.
No need to argue. The specification for surgical mask is resist liquid penetration, not necessarily mean waterproof. The material structure, surface tension and viscosity of the liquid itself determine if the liquid can penetrate through material and the test was conducted using a liquid with same property as blood, not water, since it is meant for surgery.

The test also include splash within certain velocity. If the velocity is much higher, the liquid will also pass through. So, it is not classified as waterproof. smile.gif
bee88
post Aug 5 2020, 03:35 PM

Getting Started
270 posts

Very simple. Fabric is not viable because it will get wet no matter what u put in between. As simple as that.

But they do stop /slow down the spread because when u sneeze, it trap most of them from goingaround the air.
bee88
post Aug 5 2020, 03:37 PM

Getting Started
270 posts

As for face mask, as long it's 3 ply with meltblown in the middle, it's okay Dy. Two ply definitely no meltblown.

DiRecToRofSaTaN
post Aug 5 2020, 03:58 PM

Regular
1,113 posts

QUOTE(bee88 @ Aug 5 2020, 03:35 PM)
Very simple. Fabric is not viable because it will get wet no matter what u put in between.  As simple as that. 

But they do stop /slow down the spread because when u sneeze, it trap most of them from goingaround the air.
Cloth is not as fine as N95 Surgical Mask. Do you see any surgical doctor using cloth fabric while performing heart transplant ?
bee88
post Aug 5 2020, 04:02 PM

Getting Started
270 posts

QUOTE(DiRecToRofSaTaN @ Aug 5 2020, 03:58 PM)
Cloth is not as fine as N95 Surgical Mask.  Do you see any surgical doctor using cloth fabric while performing  heart transplant ?
Nope. Definitely no. I also prefer if they ban all those cloth mask. Any 3 ply will be better than cloth version no matter how many ply. Once wet bacteria grow. As simple as that.
DiRecToRofSaTaN
post Aug 5 2020, 05:13 PM

Regular
1,113 posts

QUOTE(bee88 @ Aug 5 2020, 04:02 PM)
Nope. Definitely no. I also prefer if they ban all those cloth mask.  Any 3 ply will be better than cloth version no matter how many ply.  Once wet bacteria grow. As simple as that.
Lets put it this way ... You cant be cheap when your life depends on it . I dont know about anyone else 3 or 5 ply cloth mask is a big no n for me. If you are going for a masquerade party well maybe thats a different story but out in the streets in public crowds with those cloth mask is just exposing your self .
Ngto
post Aug 5 2020, 07:25 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,268 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Aug 5 2020, 03:24 PM)
No need to argue. The specification for surgical mask is resist liquid penetration, not necessarily mean waterproof. The material structure, surface tension and viscosity of the liquid itself determine if the liquid can penetrate through material and the test was conducted using a liquid with same property as blood, not water, since it is meant for surgery.

The test also include splash within certain velocity. If the velocity is much higher, the liquid will also pass through. So, it is not classified as waterproof.  smile.gif
Ok la. Maybe water resistant is more appropriate word. Whatever the description, it was just to compare differences between cloth and surgical mask.

Ewww!
post Aug 6 2020, 12:00 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,010 posts

-wrong post-

This post has been edited by Ewww!: Aug 6 2020, 12:02 AM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0143sec    0.56    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:40 PM