Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Learning German

views

TSA+Ve P
post Aug 2 2020, 10:31 AM, updated 4y ago

Probation
4 posts

Dear All,

I am international tax consultant and is considering gaining some international exposure. Since this thread had lots of discussion about working abroad. Just wanted to ask of anyone's experience working in Germany? I understand that there is a language requirement and was wondering if there are any other requirements in order to get an upper hand in obtaining a job in Germany.

Also in Malaysia, i understand that there are a few centers that provide tutoring on foreign languages. Even so, will there be other avenues for us learning foreign language to practice on a daily basis? For example people who are learning German and are living in Germany are able to practice it easily due to their surroundings but in Malaysia, do the centers have like forums or study partners for this? Learning a language works better when you start conversing other than theoretical practice.

If you have suggestions of language centers that are good Please fee free to respond to the thread. Really appreciate your help!

Stay safe!

cirrusxx P
post Oct 15 2020, 09:50 AM

Probation
15 posts

Hi,
first things first, regarding working in Germany.
1. you are not allowed to just obtain an employment as a Malaysian (unlike foreigners from the EU). Therefore, your employer has to apply a migration and work permit for you. There is a fast track called Blue Card for tech related employments (engineering, IT, etc) which require a minimum gross salary of EUR 43.000 (~200k RM) p.a. I can't say for sure if being a tax consultant qualifies for that.
2. You are not allowed to work as a tax consultant. At least not for German tax laws, as the job of a tax consultant is a so called restricted job that requires a specific license. That test is known as one of the most difficult professional tests you can do in Germany at all, as the tax law is way more difficult compared to Malaysia or the UK. Second of all, you have to take it in German and with mandatory studies and apprenticeship, we are looking for at least 5 years before you would be eligible to work as a registered tax consultant. BUT, you can work as a consultant on foreign taxation (sounds similar, but it isn't) under the umbrella of a registered tax consulting company.
3. Even practicing German in Germany as a foreigner isn't that easy. As you would tend to move to one of the larger cities (Berlin, Hamburg, Frankfurt, Munich), English is pretty common nowadays. I can't refer to a language center, but I would recommend to join expat groups on facebook and ask for any tutoring by one of the expat wives. Most of them aren't working and often have a professional background.

TSA+Ve P
post Oct 26 2020, 10:42 PM

Probation
4 posts

QUOTE(cirrusxx @ Oct 15 2020, 09:50 AM)
Hi,
first things first, regarding working in Germany.
1. you are not allowed to just obtain an employment as a Malaysian (unlike foreigners from the EU). Therefore, your employer has to apply a migration and work permit for you. There is a fast track called Blue Card for tech related employments (engineering, IT, etc) which require a minimum gross salary of EUR 43.000 (~200k RM) p.a. I can't say for sure if being a tax consultant qualifies for that.
2. You are not allowed to work as a tax consultant. At least not for German tax laws, as the job of a tax consultant is a so called restricted job that requires a specific license. That test is known as one of the most difficult professional tests you can do in Germany at all, as the tax law is way more difficult compared to Malaysia or the UK. Second of all, you have to take it in German and with mandatory studies and apprenticeship, we are looking for at least 5 years before you would be eligible to work as a registered tax consultant. BUT, you can work as a consultant on foreign taxation (sounds similar, but it isn't) under the umbrella of a registered tax consulting company.
3. Even practicing German in Germany as a foreigner isn't that easy. As you would tend to move to one of the larger cities (Berlin, Hamburg, Frankfurt, Munich), English is pretty common nowadays. I can't refer to a language center, but I would recommend to  join expat groups on facebook and ask for any tutoring by one of the expat wives. Most of them aren't working and often have a professional background.
thank you! Honestly appreciate the thorough and detailed response.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0204sec    0.21    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:08 AM