> Asking about Malaysia engineering career path

views

Human Nature
post Yesterday, 03:54 PM

- student of human nature -
All Stars
18,969 posts

QUOTE(PV boy @ Aug 12 2020, 02:21 PM)
The Registration of Engineers Act (Revised) has been in forced in year 2015, those engineers registered are bound to the Act. Anyway, those in practise but without registration may not be “legally” called themselves as an engineer, however I never heard that the Board (BEM) landed anybody in court for abusing the engineer title. There was one case that one guy carry the “Ir” in front of his name, the Board just officially declare that the fellow is not registered with them, I don’t think there was any legal action taken against the guy.

So far 3 major branches of engineering required PEPC (profession engineer with practising certificate) for submitting purposes, i.e. Civil, Mechanical, and Electrical. Be carefully that Electronic is not as same as Electrical, I saw many graduates with majoring in electronic, struggling to get their registration in Electrical.
If you are not in these 3 branches, personally the registration is not a must. Since the registration is not mandatory in force, so the number of registrations in the Board is very small, that’s why on the paper always claims the country has not enough engineers etc.

The minimum qualification for registering is 4 years undergraduate degree, to in line with international recognition. To get the standard equally, many country has changed their system, like UK 3 years B.Eng degree, extended one more year to M.Eng, other countries like France, Germany also adjusted accordingly. But only engineering degree is affected, other like B.A, BSc still 3 years in UK. Therefore many questions raised later, how come in UK can get Master degree after 4 years, but in other countries only Bachelor, are they in same level of standard? Sorry I also cannot comment but in fact M.Eng is really attractive as the title seems higher than a Bachelor, don’t you think so?

If those with UK B.Eng degree want to get himself/herself recognised, one and only way is to do a Master degree, be careful that must be a Taught Master degree, cannot be a M.Phil by research, the Board only accept the engineer is “trained” by a taught course, not by research, so if an UK B.Eng first class honours degree holder further study straight away get his/her PhD due to his/her excellent result and talent, sorry the Board will still reject their application.

By the way, the Board has introduced 2 tier system for professional engineers, one is PEPC (professional engineer with practising certificate), PE another (professional engineer). The major difference between PEPC and PE is, PEPC can sign and do submission, PE cannot. An engineer needs to get PE first before his can proceed for PEPC, so you need to take exam twice, too bad huh? But one good news is, if you already got other country PE qualification, like UK C.Eng, then you can apply for Malaysia PE with only taking the Ethic exam.

Good luck to all future engineers, we need you so please do not give up.
Good info. For those going to Route No. 2 (Route for a Professional Engineer from an overseas Regulatory Body), he/she is also required to provide a summary of practical experience not less than 3 years using company letterhead certified by a PE in same branch of engineering at which the applicant did his practical experience.

As a reference for everyone, more info here: http://bem.org.my/professional-engineer

This post has been edited by Human Nature: Yesterday, 03:58 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0158sec    0.57    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 13th August 2020 - 08:12 AM