181 posts

closed

This post has been edited by tiggywombat: Nov 5 2021, 09:43 PM
TOMEI-R
post Aug 1 2020, 02:02 PM

Extraordinaire
All Stars
23,590 posts

10000km or 1 year. Whichever comes first.
ngohieng
post Aug 1 2020, 02:17 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

I’m curious also. Some of my cars barely reach 5000km per year.
fireballs
post Aug 1 2020, 02:23 PM

5,627 posts

10k or 1 year
zeng
post Aug 1 2020, 02:33 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

For umpteen years, my Avanza has been doing fine with 10,000 plus km up to 16,600 km with semisyn Total Energy 10W40 .

Refer to Post #1 in my thread for 10,000 km plus km oil change intervals of a wide range of engine oils and wide range of engines .

I'm sure your Honda 2.0L whatever age is not inferior in quality to my 2007 Avanza 1.3L engine right ??

Edit: Some oil analyses are available at Post #1 too .

This post has been edited by zeng: Aug 1 2020, 02:38 PM
6UE5T
post Aug 1 2020, 02:34 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(tiggywombat @ Aug 1 2020, 01:55 PM)
Hi folks,

I seldom drive my car, every year around 7000KM driven only. It's a Honda Accord 2.0 VTi, using Shell Helix HX7 10w-40.

How often do you change your oil? 6 months or 1 year? My owner's manual say if you always drive in weather above 32C (which is Malaysian weather) you should change every 6 months, but my mileage so low...
If like that then for you better just change every 7500km using semi synth oil like what you use now. No need to change following time period.
Eurobeater
post Aug 1 2020, 08:45 PM

Kancil Dorifto!
1,184 posts

I just follow my manufacturer recommendation, every 10k km or 6 months, whichever comes first.

Use a synthetic blend recommended by Proton. I forgot the spec, probs 10W-40 as well.
zeng
post Aug 1 2020, 09:11 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(Eurobeater @ Aug 1 2020, 08:45 PM)
I just follow my manufacturer recommendation, every 10k km or 6 months, whichever comes first.

Use a synthetic blend recommended by Proton. I forgot the spec, probs 10W-40 as well.
Proton recommends 10k km for semisyn 10W40 ?
Very honest and consumer-friendly OEM/Sc !
TStiggywombat
post Aug 1 2020, 09:36 PM

Getting Started
181 posts

OK thanks for input.. I'll just change every year then, regardless of mileage
SleeplessEyes
post Aug 2 2020, 07:52 AM

I'm me bro, let me be me
2,390 posts

If you rarely change like my Exora, go for fully synthetic. These days you can get fully synthetic for around Rm 100 . Genuine full synthetic.
Zephyral
post Aug 2 2020, 11:19 AM

43 posts

once a year will do. the 6 months schedule could be a relic from the past when engine oil are of lower quality or simply because fleet owners and company cars typically follow schedule at official SC and this means more profit for them if they list the OCI to be more frequent.

but just think about it, the engine oil that can last 10,000km in the punishing environment of an ICE cannot sit in the engine at 35°C for a couple of months? that just doesn't make much sense does it.
niiwG P
post Aug 2 2020, 11:54 AM

Probation
17 posts

I'm using fully synthetic and I change once a year.

I think if using fully synthetic oil, change once a year is good enough.

And change the oil filter half yearly.
GamersFamilia
post Aug 2 2020, 05:36 PM

Videogames Enthusiast , An Avid Gamer and Videogames Collector
All Stars
13,071 posts

fully synthetic change every 10 000km or 6 month which ever come first
abubin
post Aug 3 2020, 04:03 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

QUOTE(niiwG @ Aug 2 2020, 11:54 AM)
I'm using fully synthetic and I change once a year.

I think if using fully synthetic oil, change once a year is good enough.

And change the oil filter half yearly.
How to change the oil filter (half year) without changing the oil (yearly)?

In any case, try to change it 6month. If you stretch it to one year also should be fine. It all depends on the oil you get when you drain it. Look at the oil whether it is dark or not. Use fully synthetic cause it will not oxidize as fast as semi or mineral. Mineral will oxidize faster and recommended for high mileage users that change oil very frequently. For your low mileage and tahan longer oil, use fully syn.
Zephyral
post Aug 3 2020, 05:11 PM

43 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Aug 3 2020, 04:03 PM)

In any case, try to change it 6month. If you stretch it to one year also should be fine. It all depends on the oil you get when you drain it. Look at the oil whether it is dark or not. Use fully synthetic cause it will not oxidize as fast as semi or mineral. Mineral will oxidize faster and recommended for high mileage users that change oil very frequently. For your low mileage and tahan longer oil, use fully syn.
depends on the make, on some cars such as many VW models you can actually remove the filter without the oil draining away, you probably still have some drips due to oil in the filter but not going to cause a massive waterfall. but i don't really know why the need to change the filter every 6 months....
niiwG P
post Aug 3 2020, 09:24 PM

Probation
17 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Aug 3 2020, 05:03 PM)

I usually change my engine oil once mileage reach 10k km.

But in between 5 or 6k km I will change the oil filter.

Its my usual practice and I'm using fully synthetic.

Not much oil is lost when I change only the filter and I will top up the oil level after each filter change.

Zephyral
post Aug 3 2020, 10:19 PM

43 posts

QUOTE(niiwG @ Aug 3 2020, 09:24 PM)
I usually change my engine oil once mileage reach 10k km.

But in between 5 or 6k km I will change the oil filter.

Its my usual practice and I'm using fully synthetic.

Not much oil is lost when I change only the filter and I will top up the oil level after each filter change.
but why do you do this? i have seen manufacturers recommend changing filter once every other oil change (2 x oil, 1 x filter) and also manufacturers recommending filter change at every oil change. I don't remember ever seeing 2 filter change for every oil change. you driving some kind of super exotic car?

i am genuinely curious about your rationale.
littlefire
post Aug 4 2020, 09:02 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,146 posts

There are reasons why a lot of car manufacturer recommend to change every 6 months or 10000km. It is because oil can degrade due to expose to our high humid air.

In term of engine oil, not all engine oil can last 1 year only certain oil with high TBN designed for long mileage, long lasting can only last a year. (Amsoil Signature, Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage, Etc.. )

I have seen a Kelisa with almost 5 years with only 20k mileage (Real 1 no edited), the owner only like change 2 or 3 times of oil only and when my mechanic open up the valve cover & oil pan it is fill with sludge on the bottom and also got some water vapor in the cover. The engine is no issue, but due to long time no drive, the contamination that should hold on by the engine oil would drop down to the bottom forming up the sludge. The water in the other hand is also due to engine did not really heated long enough to burn off the water vapor! FYI, for every pound of fuel burned in an engine, the combustion process also generates a pound of water! Water did not mix well with oil and will even faster degrade the oil..

This post has been edited by littlefire: Aug 4 2020, 09:06 AM
Zephyral
post Aug 4 2020, 10:38 AM

43 posts

QUOTE(littlefire @ Aug 4 2020, 09:02 AM)
1. It is because oil can degrade due to expose to our high humid air.

2. I have seen a Kelisa with almost 5 years with only 20k mileage (Real 1 no edited), the owner only like change 2 or 3 times of oil only and when my mechanic open up the valve cover & oil pan it is fill with sludge on the bottom and also got some water vapor in the cover. The engine is no issue, but due to long time no drive, the contamination that should hold on by the engine oil would drop down to the bottom forming up the sludge.

3.The water in the other hand is also due to engine did not really heated long enough to burn off the water vapor! FYI, for every pound of fuel burned in an engine, the combustion process also generates a pound of water! Water did not mix well with oil and will even faster degrade the oil..
1. while the engine oil system is not airtight, its not like the oil is just sitting there exposed to the environment.

2. your example doesn't matter here since in your own words that car is changing oil less than once a year. also driving low mileage is different from a car that just sits there abandoned for months at a time. the issues you highlighted is probably due to the oil not circulating for months at a time as well as general neglect.

3. the stoichiometry is the same whether the car is driving 100km or 10,000km so in your example driving less means less
water available to degrade the oil then?

the point is, everyone knows by know that the car left sitting for months on end are going to be problematic. perhaps my previous reply wasn't clear, i meant couple of months cumulatively. car is still driven frequently, just clocking low mileage.

littlefire
post Aug 4 2020, 11:06 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,146 posts

QUOTE(Zephyral @ Aug 4 2020, 11:38 AM)
1. while the engine oil system is not airtight, its not like the oil is just sitting there exposed to the environment. - You can sent for lab test for your oil. A lot of oil are not design for long lasting with expose environment. If not why all the oil bottle are sealed.

2. your example doesn't matter here since in your own words that car is changing oil less than once a year. also driving low mileage is different from a car that just sits there abandoned for months at a time. the issues you highlighted is probably due to the oil not circulating for months at a time as well as general neglect.

3. the stoichiometry is the same whether the car is driving 100km or 10,000km so in your example driving less means less
water available to degrade the oil then? even 

the point is, everyone knows by know that the car left sitting for months on end are going to be problematic. perhaps my previous reply wasn't clear, i meant couple of months cumulatively. car is still driven frequently, just clocking low mileage.
https://www.motorverso.com/does-motor-oil-expire/
https://10carbest.com/how-long-does-synthetic-oil-last

You can read & google your self.
Even if you make short trip, the engine oil itself will still degrade once expose to environment.
Our Malaysian weather is high humid and hot climate will put the engine oil at higher strain.

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0243sec    0.13    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:22 AM