Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

OS Partitioning external SSD to APFS & NTFS, on MacOS & Win 10 bootcamp

views

TSLego Warfare
post Jul 30 2020, 03:22 PM, updated 4y ago

Look at all my stars!!
4,302 posts

Hi, would like to know if it is possible to partition on a single external SSD to 50-50 (APFS & NTFS). And will there be any issues running it on both MacOS & Win 10 bootcamp?
APFS will be my storage data for MacOS while i'm planning to install & run games in the NTFS section on Win 10 bootcamp.

This post has been edited by Lego Warfare: Jul 30 2020, 03:23 PM
dcheah
post Aug 7 2020, 02:33 PM

OldSkool
1,233 posts

QUOTE(Lego Warfare @ Jul 30 2020, 03:22 PM)
Hi, would like to know if it is possible to partition on a single external SSD to 50-50 (APFS & NTFS). And will there be any issues running it on both MacOS & Win 10 bootcamp?
APFS will be my storage data for MacOS while i'm planning to install & run games in the NTFS section on Win 10 bootcamp.
It is not advisable to have 2 types of partition table in a single hard drive (irregardless its SSD or HDD). This will cause the OS to misinterpret the partition table and will causes data corruptions or loss.

APFS & NTFS have their own partition table and its not compatible as both have their own R/W technology.

If running FAT32 & NTFS together on a single HDD/SSD, then it is possible because both are using the same partition table.

You really need to understand that APFS is from Apple while the other is from Microsoft (NTFS).
TSLego Warfare
post Aug 7 2020, 03:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,302 posts

QUOTE(dcheah @ Aug 7 2020, 02:33 PM)
It is not advisable to have 2 types of partition table in a single hard drive (irregardless its SSD or HDD). This will cause the OS to misinterpret the partition table and will causes data corruptions or loss.

APFS & NTFS have their own partition table and its not compatible as both have their own R/W technology.

If running FAT32 & NTFS together on a single HDD/SSD, then it is possible because both are using the same partition table.

You really need to understand that APFS is from Apple while the other is from Microsoft (NTFS).
But Macs have been supporting 2 partitions with separate OS via boot camp for years. APFS with MacOS and NTFS with Windows installed.

In MacOS the external drive detects both APFS & NTFS, with NTFS only being readable not writable.
Similarly in Windows boot camp, only NTFS is accessible. As NTFS is not writable and APFS not detectable, how would the OS cause data corruption/data loss when no changes can be made for the respective partitions?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0115sec    0.37    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:07 PM