LG 34GN850b [ 10 ] ** [38.46%]
Total Votes: 26
Guests cannot vote 
views

TSJedi
post Jul 27 2020, 03:57 PM, updated 4y ago

Pax Et Bonum
2,239 posts

Nvidia GPU, planned to upgrade RTX 3080TI later.

For ultra wide ascension.
https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=4983589&hl=

Initially wanted 4K monitor but after lowyat expert advise, I have narrowed down my options to these 2 (which should be better than LG 34 GK950F/G)

Is g sync alienware better than g sync compatible LG?
Are the 120 vs 160 Hz obvious?

I want this monitor to last me at least another next 6 years
TSJedi
post Jul 27 2020, 03:58 PM

Pax Et Bonum
2,239 posts

Both costs about RM5K. (4.9K ish)
olak329
post Jul 27 2020, 04:05 PM

Getting Started
106 posts

i vote for LG since lg is the best ips gaming monitor.

planning to buy one in q2 2021.
slaveone
post Jul 27 2020, 04:26 PM

Regular
1,180 posts

both 120hz for Dell and 160hz for LG are overclocked but wouldnt be noticable difference between 120 and 160hz. if you're from 144hz, would need at least 200hz to notice the difference.

in term of aftersales support, im more confident with Dell. But i would be interested to test LG monitors especially the 38GL950G-B. but that a few thousands ringgit more.

katavatar
post Jul 29 2020, 12:11 AM

17 posts

As a guy who just bought a 32 inch Samsung Odyssey G7, in my opinion if you really want to future proof, wait until next year.

Monitors are on the verge of a jump in tech specs. TN panels are as good as dead. The new Samsung VA panels are offering 240 hz 1440p with superfast response times, and I think 240hz 1440p fast IPS panels are on the way. We might even see HDR600 become the norm with more manufacturers releasing high end monitors with HDR1000.

I don't like the 34GN850-B because its already outdated. 240hz 1440p VA monitors with HDR600+ already on the market and IPS monitors with similar specs are in the pipeline. I think spending 4k+ on an already outdated monitor is a mistake.

The Alienware is even worse. It was cutting edge 2 years ago, but not in 2020. As soon as the new panels hit the market I'm almost certain Alienware will refresh that model.

For this much money I'd rather top up a bit and buy a Samsung G9 after they fix the production issues. It's a super ultrawide 1440p VA monior with 240hz, low response times, and HDR1000. It's also got up to date DP 1.4 ports. Also, we should be seeing HDMI 2.1 become more widespread next year, which means even higher refresh rates and better resolution. If we look at the direction monitors are moving in, 1440p 240hz and 4k 120hz are the next big things and I think a 3080 TI will be able to comfortably drive those monitors in the future. If you buy now, I think your 3080TI will be bottle-necked by your monitor choice.

If you absolutely want to buy now, get the LG. The nano ips tech is proven, and the Alienware is outdated badly. DP 1.2 is yuck in 2020.

Just a few more tips for monitor buying if you want to do more research:

1. HDR400 is a meme. In fact, unless a monitor has a lot of local dimming zones I don't think anything less than HDR1000 should factor in your decision making when buying a monitor.

2. LG is the king of fast IPS right now and their prices are fairer than their competitors. Their LG 27GL850 is the best in class for 27 inch fast IPS gaming monitors. Asus, Gigabyte, and Acer might sell monitors with similar specs, but none of them can beat LG in performance and they are often more expensive. Avoid them.

3. Samsung's new Odyssey G7 line are currently cutting edge. They are the first to 240hz 1440p, and their new VA panels are outstanding in terms of response times. The G7 line also comes with HDR600 (Which still isn't great tbh), and the G9 has HDR1000. The G9 also is offering something really unique: The form factor. That 49 inch super wide display is really something special. I don't think the pricing is too bad when you take into account that nobody else has those specs right now.

The cons? The entire G7 line sucks if you can't stand curved monitors. There are also some early production issues which will probably be fixed going forwards. If you buy one of these you need to stay up to date with monitor firmware.

4. Don't forget to check what DP version the monitor has. Personally, I feel a modern monitor should be on at least 1.4 to avoid bandwidth issues. If you see a monitor with HDMI 2.1 support in the future, that's even better.

5. Refer to https://www.displayninja.com/new-monitors/ when planning your purchases. That list has all the upcoming monitors along with their panels and specs.

This post has been edited by katavatar: Jul 29 2020, 12:46 AM
TSJedi
post Jul 29 2020, 02:49 AM

Pax Et Bonum
2,239 posts

QUOTE(katavatar @ Jul 29 2020, 12:11 AM)
As a guy who just bought a 32 inch Samsung Odyssey G7, in my opinion if you really want to future proof, wait until next year.

Monitors are on the verge of a jump in tech specs. TN panels are as good as dead. The new Samsung VA panels are offering 240 hz 1440p with superfast response times, and I think 240hz 1440p fast IPS panels are on the way. We might even see HDR600 become the norm with more manufacturers releasing high end monitors with HDR1000.

I don't like the 34GN850-B because its already outdated. 240hz 1440p VA monitors with HDR600+ already on the market and IPS monitors with similar specs are in the pipeline. I think spending 4k+ on an already outdated monitor is a mistake.

The Alienware is even worse. It was cutting edge 2 years ago, but not in 2020. As soon as the new panels hit the market I'm almost certain Alienware will refresh that model.

For this much money I'd rather top up a bit and buy a Samsung G9 after they fix the production issues. It's a super ultrawide 1440p VA monior with 240hz, low response times, and HDR1000. It's also got up to date DP 1.4 ports. Also, we should be seeing HDMI 2.1 become more widespread next year, which means even higher refresh rates and better resolution. If we look at the direction monitors are moving in, 1440p 240hz and 4k 120hz are the next big things and I think a 3080 TI will be able to comfortably drive those monitors in the future. If you buy now, I think your 3080TI will be bottle-necked by your monitor choice.

If you absolutely want to buy now, get the LG. The nano ips tech is proven, and the Alienware is outdated badly. DP 1.2 is yuck in 2020.

Just a few more tips for monitor buying if you want to do more research:

1. HDR400 is a meme. In fact, unless a monitor has a lot of local dimming zones I don't think anything less than HDR1000 should factor in your decision making when buying a monitor.

2. LG is the king of fast IPS right now and their prices are fairer than their competitors. Their LG 27GL850 is the best in class for 27 inch fast IPS gaming monitors. Asus, Gigabyte, and Acer might sell monitors with similar specs, but none of them can beat LG in performance and they are often more expensive. Avoid them.

3. Samsung's new Odyssey G7 line are currently cutting edge. They are the first to 240hz 1440p, and their new VA panels are outstanding in terms of response times. The G7 line also comes with HDR600 (Which still isn't great tbh), and the G9 has HDR1000. The G9 also is offering something really unique: The form factor. That 49 inch super wide display is really something special. I don't think the pricing is too bad when you take into account that nobody else has those specs right now.

The cons? The entire G7 line sucks if you can't stand curved monitors. There are also some early production issues which will probably be fixed going forwards. If you buy one of these you need to stay up to date with monitor firmware.

4. Don't forget to check what DP version the monitor has. Personally, I feel a modern monitor should be on at least 1.4 to avoid bandwidth issues. If you see a monitor with HDMI 2.1 support in the future, that's even better.

5. Refer to https://www.displayninja.com/new-monitors/ when planning your purchases. That list has all the upcoming monitors along with their panels and specs.
Very in depth. I wish I could give you an award like reddit lol. As I am coming from a 8 year old 21.5 inch ACER s221HQL 1080p 60Hz, I have bought the LG monitor and awaiting its arrival in anticipation.

I couldnt justify getting the G9/chg90, it is just too much ultrawide and will be an eyesore considering I am using a standard office desk and I am not willing to sit far enough to utilise the retina angle. Ergonomically they were not in my consideration. + the Games I play dont utilise that resolution, theres alot of waste there.

katavatar
post Jul 29 2020, 02:55 PM

17 posts

That's fair. Enjoy your new monitor!

TSJedi
post Jul 31 2020, 01:41 AM

Pax Et Bonum
2,239 posts

user posted image

Item arrived.

Guess what? Manufactured this month too lol

0 dead pixels. I am very satisfied

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
chocobo7779
post Jul 31 2020, 01:18 PM

Power is nothing without control
All Stars
14,368 posts

QUOTE(Jedi @ Jul 31 2020, 01:41 AM)
user posted image

Item arrived.

Guess what? Manufactured this month too lol

0 dead pixels. I am very satisfied
Nice, but that keyboard though sweat.gif
TSJedi
post Jul 31 2020, 02:10 PM

Pax Et Bonum
2,239 posts

QUOTE(chocobo7779 @ Jul 31 2020, 01:18 PM)
Nice, but that keyboard though sweat.gif
I am looking for a change.

I need a keyboard that has less noise. For office gaming usage. Otherwise wife nag me kacau.

U have recommendation?
chocobo7779
post Jul 31 2020, 03:10 PM

Power is nothing without control
All Stars
14,368 posts

QUOTE(Jedi @ Jul 31 2020, 02:10 PM)

I need a keyboard that has less noise. For office gaming usage. Otherwise wife nag me kacau.

U have recommendation?
Would you be OK with mechanical ones? hmm.gif

horns
myway1985
post Jul 31 2020, 03:36 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,471 posts

alienware 1 i selling Rm4950 ppl say me crazy expensive de.. haha
TSJedi
post Jul 31 2020, 03:49 PM

Pax Et Bonum
2,239 posts

QUOTE(myway1985 @ Jul 31 2020, 03:36 PM)
alienware 1 i selling Rm4950 ppl say me crazy expensive de.. haha
I think this price is fair considering Dell official sells 5.2K and a dozen shops sell at close to 5k also

However these two monitors are really close.

Overall for future references for LYN Forumers who will read this thread:

I find that this is the best quote from reddit by user jaykresge in this link: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrac...awhile_3_month/ that sums up this thread

The LG is the better monitor for MOST users. I would advise getting that for a variety of reasons. But the Alienware does have its advantages. I'll try to compare them:

First, they use the same panel. While LG and Alienware will "tune" them somewhat differently, most reviews I've seen plus my own measurements confirm that their out-of-box settings fall within the same general range. On average, you'll get the same picture quality from both.

The LG has a nice trick with wide-gamut support. It supports UP TO 98% P3 coverage with HDR (though extremely basic). With Windows HD color enabled, it will auto switch back to sRGB for standard-gamut content. This prevents over-saturation in games that lack wide-gamut support. I've been wanting this for awhile.

The Alienware, despite advertising the same 98% P3 support, is actually an sRGB monitor. It does not have a default wide-gamut mode, but the wider gamut is accessible by any app that requests it. I've found a hilarious bug with it (not the monitor, just the way some programs use color profiles). Most web browsers are color aware, so if I open MS Edge (Chromium version) to a colorful homepage (such as Bing), it will look over-saturated for 1-3 seconds until the browser realizes I'm using an sRGB color profile, at which point the image corrects itself. This only happens when launching the browser, not when opening new tabs. But thankfully, for non-color-aware programs (IE, most games), it reports itself as sRGB so no over-saturation. Basically, both LG and Alienware have working solutions to the over-saturation problem that many recent gaming monitors have had.

So, no wide-gamut application support (unless the program can force it), and no HDR in the Alienware. LG wins there just for having the option. If you force sRGB, they behave identically.

Next up is refresh rate. The LG is 144hz with a 48-144hz range. It's both G-Sync Compatible and Freesync certified. The Alienware uses a G-Sync module with a 30-120hz range, or a 24-60hz range when set to 60hz. Also, this is a newer module that supports VESA Displayport Adaptive Sync, so Freesync is supported, but not certified. That means an AMD GPU can benefit from this range and variable overdrive.

Why does all that matter? For those who want to play at above 120fps, the LG wins. But for those who want to max out their settings for non-competitive games for the best picture quality possible, the LG runs into some potential issues. If you have a game that forces exclusive full-screen and 60fps (some shoddy console ports), that means your range is 24-60hz on the Alienware (with LFC). It's 48-60hz on the LG with no LFC. And even if you maintain your native refresh rate (120hz and 144hz, respectively), if you're bouncing around in the 45-60fps range, you MAY experience some flickering or pacing issues with the LG due to the higher minimum range. You won't on the Alienware.

If you want HDR support, get the LG.

If you want to experience higher refresh rates (144hz native, 160hz OC), get the LG.

If you tend to play your games at higher settings and lower framerates (below 60), AND you have no use for the DisplayHDR400 support, get the Alienware.

For me, it came down to aesthetics. As you can see HERE, I really wanted the matching white monitor. Had they both been the same color, it would have been a tough call. On one hand, I tend to play at lower frame rates. On the other, I wouldn't mind the basic HDR support even if I'd almost never use it. And the issues with LG's monitor below 60fps are truly trivial and not noticeable by almost anyone except in very specific cases.

Get the LG for your needs, unless you're that last bullet point. I hope this helps and I hope that you enjoy whatever you get.

Reddit users are at 50:50, but mostly only bec mat salleh countries only offer LG warranty of 1 year.

I got my LG 34GN850 from https://web.facebook.com/CGIOnlineStore/?_rdc=1&_rdr. Inside the package is a warranty card by local LG Sdn Bhd for 3 years so you are basically covered well in Malaysia even if you get a lemon unit, 14 days return guarantee to shop as well.
horns
post Jul 31 2020, 08:20 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(Jedi @ Jul 31 2020, 02:10 PM)

U have recommendation?
you can start with tecware phantom elite with gateron red or brown switches. at stock it's bad. however, because it supports switch hot-swapping, you can tune it to make it much better than stock configurations.

if you have good budget, you can look at options from ikbc, ducky, or leopold. these are soldered oem boards.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0406sec    0.39    8 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:54 AM