Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Help with Noise Cancelling Microphone, My room is beside highway/LRT

views

TSZiet Inv
post Jul 24 2020, 09:42 AM, updated 4y ago

On my way
644 posts

Hi,

As the title depicts, I've recently moved into a new condo room which is right beside a LRT and highway (as you can imagine, plenty of noise).

The reason why im writing this is because I need help to fix this problem to film my YouTube video without much interference.

Current setup is Boya BY-M1 mic + Canon EOS M50.

A few solution that I've discovered:
1. Reducing background noise in Final Cut Pro X (but this will resulting the audio becoming wobbly)
2. Reducing the Audio level (-20 30 dB) on my Canon EOS M50 but my voice ended up too soft
3. Even with my balcony sliding door closed (there are noises sipping through the "cracks"). Not sure if stuffing more clothes help?
4. Buy a new mic - Shot gun mic? I've read they only pick up voices in a particular axis, so "noise" which comes in various axis doesnt get picked up quite much. Considering Rode VideoMicro.
5. Audacity software noise reduction - Never tried, could end up having result like No.1 (but i wouldnt want to do this every time i film 40-50 clips weekly)

Note: I've yet to post new video filmed in this new room. All videos in my youtube channel currently are from my previous condo room.

All in all I'm at a roadblock and would love to seek your kind opinion to fixing this issue.

Thank you very much.

Maniac
post Jul 25 2020, 02:22 PM

That Tech Guy Who Use Nikon For Video
Group Icon
VIP
5,938 posts

Seems like you already discovered quite a variety of options.

I would think option 4 will provide the better results. On shortgun mic, usually the longer it is (with more grill at side), the better it is from rejecting off-axis, unwanted noise.

I have VideoMicro too, and I think they may not be sufficient from what you described. Mic work best when nearer to the source, and with an axis pointing directly to the subject. While depending on what you use, put all unwanted sources in the off-axis zone.

Lastly if you use noise reduction software, some like adobe audition allow you to record or sample using a 'sample clip' and remove them from the main. Do a base record to tell your software what is the 'noise'?

all in all, I am not an expert in sound engineering, but this is what I can think of. Good luck!

This post has been edited by Maniac: Jul 25 2020, 02:22 PM
Yggdrasil
post Aug 20 2020, 02:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,208 posts

QUOTE(Ziet Inv @ Jul 24 2020, 09:42 AM)
As the title depicts, I've recently moved into a new condo room which is right beside a LRT and highway (as you can imagine, plenty of noise).
Perhaps try to time the gap between the trains passing.
If the trains pass every 4 minutes, then make your conversation <4 mins.
You can also split your video into segments. You don't have to keep talking non-stop.

2. Reducing the Audio level (-20 30 dB) on my Canon EOS M50 but my voice ended up too soft
This doesn't work because it's merely reducing the volume.

5. Audacity software noise reduction - Never tried, could end up having result like No.1 (but i wouldnt want to do this every time i film 40-50 clips weekly)
I used Adobe Audition in the past to remove hissing noise and it worked well for me.
You should try it for background noise.

Also, you can try recording an audio as usual and another blank audio just to capture the train noise (without you speaking).
Then, use the train noise sample to offset the train noise in your original audio.

Similar to how people remove sound watermarks from royalty music illegally by obtaining a clear sample of the watermark:

fireballs
post Aug 20 2020, 02:26 PM

5,627 posts

first try to make your window air-tight. can put some rubber seals or foam tape.
then have a heavy window blind. double layer it if you can.
jmas
post Aug 20 2020, 05:10 PM

Enthusiast
755 posts

your computer got nvidia gpu? try https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-rtx-voice-performance/
TSZiet Inv
post Aug 20 2020, 06:00 PM

On my way
644 posts

QUOTE(Yggdrasil @ Aug 20 2020, 02:22 PM)
Perhaps try to time the gap between the trains passing.
If the trains pass every 4 minutes, then make your conversation <4 mins.
You can also split your video into segments. You don't have to keep talking non-stop.
This doesn't work because it's merely reducing the volume.
I used Adobe Audition in the past to remove hissing noise and it worked well for me.
You should try it for background noise.

Also, you can try recording an audio as usual and another blank audio just to capture the train noise (without you speaking).
Then, use the train noise sample to offset the train noise in your original audio.

Similar to how people remove sound watermarks from royalty music illegally by obtaining a clear sample of the watermark:

QUOTE(fireballs @ Aug 20 2020, 02:26 PM)
first try to make your window air-tight. can put some rubber seals or foam tape.
then have a heavy window blind. double layer it if you can.
QUOTE(jmas @ Aug 20 2020, 05:10 PM)
Thanks guys, I've used weather strip (excessively) to reduce the noises, so far so good, about 70% of my problems are solved.

The remaining 30% of the noise is basically if someone on the highway REVS hardly or the train comes by which is around 3-4 minutes interval, those I believe even the thickest soundproof curtain cant help me hahaha!

And yes, I've opted to film each short clip by 45s-1min max, so far it worked decently, but just a pain in the ass to constantly listening for the background noise, oh well...

Thanks for the suggestion on the Adobe Audition, I guess i will just stick to not using it because it would be a very big disruption in my workflow and my efficiency will drop too much (1 video per week is very time consuming already XD moreso editing 50-60 clips for audio optimization), so far not 1 audience complaint to me that the noises are noticeable, so I will just live with it just now.

Again, thank you guys! Have a great day ahead.

Cheers!
mastering89
post Aug 22 2020, 03:00 PM

miao miao
2,545 posts

if you are on desktop ( or pc laptop), and has Nvidia GPU
you can install RTX Voice application (works for GTX cards too).

this helps me alot in noise reduction
mostly during voice chat / discord.
as i have table fan just beside me always as room is too hot.

i tried lavalier mics, blue yeti, shotgun mic.
all of them will capture the fan noise, and even if the table fan is turned off, noise from pc fan is well captured.
RTX voice pretty much cleans up nicely, even my cherry mx blue switch keyboard.

but i do use this on Davinci Resolve as well, it does much better job than most software noise reduction.
you may have to tweak abit your EQs and stuff.
but thats the free option (if you have Nvidia GPU).

This post has been edited by mastering89: Aug 22 2020, 03:04 PM
TSZiet Inv
post Aug 22 2020, 03:51 PM

On my way
644 posts

QUOTE(mastering89 @ Aug 22 2020, 03:00 PM)
if you are on desktop ( or pc laptop), and has Nvidia GPU
you can install RTX Voice application (works for GTX cards too).

this helps me alot in noise reduction
mostly during voice chat / discord.
as i have table fan just beside me always as room is too hot.

i tried lavalier mics, blue yeti, shotgun mic.
all of them will capture the fan noise, and even if the table fan is turned off, noise from pc fan is well captured.
RTX voice pretty much cleans up nicely, even my cherry mx blue switch keyboard.

but i do use this on Davinci Resolve as well, it does much better job than most software noise reduction.
you may have to tweak abit your EQs and stuff.
but thats the free option (if you have Nvidia GPU).
unfortunately i'm on MacBook Air (2020)

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0132sec    0.31    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:22 PM