Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Career advice/coaching, Been working for 2.5 years, but got lost

views

TSIJustWantToAsk
post Jul 13 2020, 03:43 PM, updated 4y ago

Getting Started
215 posts

Hi all, I had felt lost of a while and need some advice for the better.

I am working as part of tax automation process (which automate some excel sheet by using Alteryx) and I had always been fascinated by automation work, like how a 3 days job can be turned into just one hour with a click.

I had worked here got 3 months ++, colleagues was nice but its a contract role so I am thinking what type of job should I be going next once this one ends (if they do not take me in as a permanent staff)

My previous job is a data analyst which mainly to cleanse data and so on, which i worked for about 2 years++.

I had grown an interest in data science and was learning a bit of python(since it was famous) but realize that programming is not meant for everyone. I learned a bit of algo and give up because that is too hard for me.

Planned to take Masters program 3 months ago, but ended up rethinking my decision as i do not have a strong financial background (to take masters and own a car at the moment).

I had yet found for a part-time data analyst job since a month ago but didn't seems to have the luck, most of the people who want to recruit is programmers but I'm clearly not one of them.

Am learning how to use Tableau as was once rejected from a job for not having experience in using tableau software.

My background is major in finance field, attended courses (LSS green belt) in office, and a certified Alteryx user.

Am I having a low chance of succeed in data science field? Should I change course and move to learning another set of skills?
waghyu
post Jul 13 2020, 03:47 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,389 posts

QUOTE(IJustWantToAsk @ Jul 13 2020, 03:43 PM)
Hi all, I had felt lost of a while and need some advice for the better.
I am working as part of tax automation process (which automate some excel sheet by using Alteryx) and I had always been fascinated by automation work, like how a 3 days job can be turned into just one hour with a click.

I had worked here got 3 months ++, colleagues was nice but its a contract role so I am thinking what type of job should I be going next once this one ends (if they do not take me in as a permanent staff)

My previous job is a data analyst which mainly to cleanse data and so on, which i worked for about 2 years++.
I had grown an interest in data science and was learning a bit of python(since it was famous) but realize that programming is not meant for everyone. I learned a bit of algo and give up because that is too hard for me.

Planned to take Masters program 3 months ago, but ended up rethinking my decision as i do not have a strong financial background (to take masters and own a car at the moment).
I had yet found for a part-time data analyst job since a month ago but didn't seems to have the luck, most of the people who want to recruit is programmers but I'm clearly not one of them.
Am learning how to use Tableau as was once rejected from a job for not having experience in using tableau software.
My background is major in finance field, attended courses (LSS green belt) in office, and a certified Alteryx user.
Am I having a low chance of succeed in data science field? Should I change course and move to learning another set of skills?
Your job is killing other people job. So a job that need 10 person over 1 month period can be done by yourself alone in a day over few hours time. You will succeed and 10 person will lost their job.
TSIJustWantToAsk
post Jul 13 2020, 03:51 PM

Getting Started
215 posts

QUOTE(waghyu @ Jul 13 2020, 03:47 PM)
Your job is killing other people job. So a job that need 10 person over 1 month period can be done by yourself alone in a day over few hours time. You will succeed and 10 person will lost their job.
but they can focus on other things which generate more revenue for the company, most of the process I did is low value process (which is necessary to do, but generate low to non income revenue for my company)
waghyu
post Jul 13 2020, 03:57 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,389 posts

QUOTE(IJustWantToAsk @ Jul 13 2020, 03:51 PM)
but they can focus on other things which generate more revenue for the company, most of the process I did is low value process (which is necessary to do, but generate low to non income revenue for my company)
I see, I suspect pay also not that huge for this position?
mini orchard
post Jul 13 2020, 04:59 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,913 posts

QUOTE(waghyu @ Jul 13 2020, 03:47 PM)
Which bosses in their right frame of mind wants to employed 10 instead of 1 ?
waghyu
post Jul 13 2020, 05:01 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,389 posts

QUOTE(mini orchard @ Jul 13 2020, 04:59 PM)
Which bosses in their right frame of mind wants to employed 10 instead of 1 ?
True, new norm means trim position and squeeze renaining few. And employ as cheap as possible workforce.
aVexRikuu
post Jul 13 2020, 05:53 PM

Getting Started
231 posts

i think automation is the future and you will have a bright future in this field.

For now i think you might want to join/explore a well known company and be part of their tax automation transformation team (if there is one) - (or be sort of like their pioneer in their tax automation process)

and then after which move on to an automation transformation service provider / consultant when you have enough experience.
TSIJustWantToAsk
post Jul 14 2020, 01:24 PM

Getting Started
215 posts

QUOTE(aVexRikuu @ Jul 13 2020, 05:53 PM)
i think automation is the future and you will have a bright future in this field.

For now i think you might want to join/explore a well known company and be part of their tax automation transformation team (if there is one) - (or be sort of like their pioneer in their tax automation process)
and then after which move on to an automation transformation service provider / consultant when you have enough experience.
just curious, is there any consultant firm in KL/Selangor that specializes in automation?
aVexRikuu
post Jul 14 2020, 02:34 PM

Getting Started
231 posts

QUOTE(IJustWantToAsk @ Jul 14 2020, 01:24 PM)
just curious, is there any consultant firm in KL/Selangor that specializes in automation?
i dont know but i google and seems like big4 has it

https://www.pwc.com/my/en/services/tax/tax-technology.html

https://home.kpmg/my/en/home/services/advis...ation/rpa1.html

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0115sec    0.56    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:08 PM