Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Error : Reboot & Select Proper Boot Devices, After converting 2nd 4TB HDD to GPT

views

TSuniquexme
post Jul 11 2020, 11:04 AM, updated 4y ago

Enthusiast
836 posts

Need some advise from all pro bro here. It’s my first time building a gaming pc. Windows 10 is installed on the M.2 SSD and I have another 4TB HDD connected to SATA1 port. Everything was working fine until I tried to make the 4TB HDD usable as by default the HDD is in MBR and I need to convert it to GPT in order to use the full 4TB. I copied data over to the HDD and I shut the pc off last nite. This morning when I restart I have this problem as captioned above. I think it’s the BIOS setting problem but I tried to turn off booting from the HDD and even put back the default BIOS booting sequence and everything is still the same. Wondering if anyone have this knowledge to assist. The BIOS setting is as photo attached.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

BIOS setting if I change it to only UEFI, it will reboot back directly into BIOS, if change to Legacy + UEFI, it will show the above error. The last pic if I disable HDD also same error msg.

I also change the boot sequence so that boot #1 is the Adata SX8200 Pro with all the rest disabled and problem still the same.

This post has been edited by uniquexme: Jul 11 2020, 11:20 AM
waghyu
post Jul 11 2020, 11:10 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,389 posts

Do fresh reinstallation.
Acid_RuleZz
post Jul 11 2020, 11:12 AM

ミウ ❤
6,610 posts

You need to create an EFI boot partition and probably need to run BCDboot/Bootrec command as well.
TSuniquexme
post Jul 11 2020, 11:25 AM

Enthusiast
836 posts

QUOTE(Acid_RuleZz @ Jul 11 2020, 11:12 AM)
You need to create an EFI boot partition and probably need to run BCDboot/Bootrec command as well.
I assume u are saying to create a UEFI partition on the SSD? If so may I know how to create and will it loose everything that I installed? So it has nothing to do with BIOS setting? Actually I got this problem earlier when I change the MBR to GPT the first time with the Aomei partition assistance without paying attention it says that it will boot into preinstallation stage and I format everything and reinstall windows all over again yesterday.
TSuniquexme
post Jul 11 2020, 08:54 PM

Enthusiast
836 posts

Tried the whole day to fix as per recommended even change to UEFI but all failed end up remove the HDD and reinstall on the M.2. I think my M.2 boot is corrupted that’s the reason for the problem. Admin can close this thread. Thanks
Acid_RuleZz
post Jul 11 2020, 10:12 PM

ミウ ❤
6,610 posts

QUOTE(uniquexme @ Jul 11 2020, 11:25 AM)
I assume u are saying to create a UEFI partition on the SSD? If so may I know how to create and will it loose everything that I installed? So it has nothing to do with BIOS setting? Actually I got this problem earlier when I change the MBR to GPT the first time with the Aomei partition assistance without paying attention it says that it will boot into preinstallation stage and I format everything and reinstall windows all over again yesterday.
Seem like i was too late to reply but i'll answer it anyway.

If you change your boot drive from MBR to GPT, you need to re-create the boot partition and set BIOS to boot via UEFI instead of legacy/CSM. You won't lose your data unless you fakap while recreating the EFI boot partition.
TSuniquexme
post Jul 11 2020, 10:55 PM

Enthusiast
836 posts

QUOTE(Acid_RuleZz @ Jul 11 2020, 10:12 PM)
Seem like i was too late to reply but i'll answer it anyway.

If you change your boot drive from MBR to GPT, you need to re-create the boot partition and set BIOS to boot via UEFI instead of legacy/CSM. You won't lose your data unless you fakap while recreating the EFI boot partition.
Windows 10 is installed on M.2 SSD 1TB, I just change the other storage 4TB HDD from MBR to GPT, so boot drive is still SSD. I tried to set to UEFI in BIOS and reboot but it brings me back to BiOS. I googled and they said UEFI is faster than CMS but I can’t get it to install so I switch back to CSM windows OS configuration and boot legacy+UEFI. Anyway thanks for the reply. Till now I still dunno what went wrong 😂
sHawTY
post Jul 12 2020, 03:45 AM

Frequent Reporter
All Stars
14,629 posts

QUOTE(uniquexme @ Jul 11 2020, 10:55 PM)
they said UEFI is faster than CMS but I can’t get it to install
In order to install Windows in UEFI, your USB installer also needs to be UEFI compatible
Refer to my signature on how to prepare UEFI Windows 10 installer
TSuniquexme
post Jul 12 2020, 11:27 AM

Enthusiast
836 posts

QUOTE(burbigo3 @ Jul 12 2020, 01:06 AM)
Hey, have you figures out how to solve ?
I remove the 4TB and did another new install of windows to the SSD. Thereafter plug it back in it’s ok for now. Now when computer reboot I still have a phobia of the error msg. Windows really is total different from Mac. Bad experience with windows even though about 10+ yrs no use. But now installing windows is way faster than ever
TSuniquexme
post Jul 12 2020, 11:28 AM

Enthusiast
836 posts

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Jul 12 2020, 03:45 AM)
In order to install Windows in UEFI, your USB installer also needs to be UEFI compatible
Refer to my signature on how to prepare UEFI Windows 10 installer
Ah ok ok. Maybe I will create another UEFI USB installer just in case. Thanks.
Acid_RuleZz
post Jul 12 2020, 04:19 PM

ミウ ❤
6,610 posts

Did window originally on your 4TB drive before you installed it on your M2 SSD?
TSuniquexme
post Jul 12 2020, 09:52 PM

Enthusiast
836 posts

QUOTE(Acid_RuleZz @ Jul 12 2020, 04:19 PM)
Did window originally on your 4TB drive before you installed it on your M2 SSD?
Yup it’s recognize by windows when I have the options to choose where to install

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0154sec    0.45    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:05 PM