Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> TV Antenna Strike by Lightning, Advice needed on indoor antenna

kelvinyam
post Aug 5 2007, 10:16 AM

May beauty be everywhere around me
Group: Senior Member

This is not audio related stuff, but since it's video related, so I posted my question here.

Two days ago my antenna on top of the roof was strike by lightning. Not only it burnt the antenna and signal booster, the antenna cable which is
concealed behind my wall was fried too. The solution provided by the electrician is to replace all the equipment, and run an external visible cable along my wall, which I don't want because it will be ugly.

I see indoor antenna available in shopping mall, has anyone has any experience with those? Which brand is good and how much? I would like to receive TV8 and TV9 too.

Please don't suggest Astro because I've terminated it since the price increased months ago. And that will not be my option, besides, the Astro wire (concealed) is burnt too.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bsl555
post Aug 5 2007, 11:15 AM

Defunct

Kelvin: In most cases, nothing beats an outdoor antenna (better still with booster installed). Its of course unless folks may live close to the transmitting station (if not mistaken, like near the hill with a transmitter at Cheras), reception using indoor antenna can be anything from good to very bad, having to readjust the direction for some channels. Not all channels are transmitted from Cheras as far as I know. Some are transmitted from KL Tower.
Anyway, terrestial TV reception requires the least obstruction (the higher the better, assuming there's tall buildings in one's vincinty causing obstruction) for best reception. The 2 types of common antenna's (VHF & UHF) are tuned for optimum reception and signal strength depending the amount of fins or reflectors.
To summarize, indoor antennas will not likely get you equal reception as an outdoor one. The quality of cable from the outdoor antenna should also be best quality (thick gauge preferred) to minimize signal loss over distance. Many contractors or developers who install concealed coaxial cable for TV more often use the cheapest kind.
As much as I myself do not like hacking walls again for concealed wiring, you could settle for the wiring in PVC trunking? Discuss with your contractor on various possibilities and a lot depends on how much you're willing to spend.
At Pasar Rd, I suggest you look out for antenna brands such as DX or Maspro from Japan. These ARE quality antenna that'll perform to expectation (if properly installed) and can last for years...trust me on this!. Those "farnie brand" antennas going for a song are a no-no!. They'll not last long in our weather where it'll just go brittle and breakup in a short time, making you going back to square one.

This post has been edited by bsl555: Aug 5 2007, 11:23 AM
+Quote Post
kelvinyam
post Aug 5 2007, 01:23 PM

The fact is this is the second time lightning strike my house. The first time has killed my auto gate IC board and house alarm (phone cord connected). Now it has killed the antenna, booster and cables.

Definitely no wall hacking. PVC trunking... it still looks ugly. If I install a new set of out door antenna, the probability of it getting strike again is pretty high, is there any prevention method?

No good indoor antenna meh?
+Quote Post
crazyconsumer
post Aug 5 2007, 09:53 PM

Big Spender

There are many lightning prevention options out there eg. lightning rod, isolator, etc., which you can consider.
+Quote Post
bsl555
post Aug 5 2007, 09:53 PM

Defunct

Happened to come across the same topic here:
http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/499398

This post has been edited by bsl555: Aug 6 2007, 12:42 AM
+Quote Post
kelvinyam
post Aug 6 2007, 07:49 AM

QUOTE(bsl555 @ Aug 5 2007, 09:53 PM)
Happened to come across the same topic here:
http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/499398
Yes. I posted in Kopitiam so get some general advice. Posting in audiophile section is to get some professional advice. Same problem, different advice.
+Quote Post
saiga
post Aug 6 2007, 08:21 AM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

why don't you install lightning conductor for your house?

next time lightning strike, it will strike the conductor not the antenna thumbup.gif
+Quote Post
Ngto
post Aug 6 2007, 10:44 AM

Look at all my stars!!

Kelvin, don't waste time with indoor antenna. Signals are obstructed by your House walls and does not give a good or stable signal. Sometimes you may get a satisfactory signal for one or two stations, but the others may be bad. At other times the signals won't remain stable, good for a period of time and then changes at other times.
+Quote Post
mengsuan
post Aug 6 2007, 12:02 PM

Dare to Venture? ©
Group Icon
Networking
Group: Moderator

I've used indoor antennas years ago when my outdoor antenna collapsed. One simple comment- bad. The reception is fairly poor and the antenna requires relocation everytime I change the channel. And if you think that PVC trunking is ugly, I personally feel that the indoor antenna is uglier, with a pinch of cheapskate look. tongue.gif

If you don't mind spending a little more money, I will suggest you to hack the walls so that you can put another cable into it, and then get a professional contractor to seal and paint the wall. It's troublesome for once, but neat. laugh.gif
+Quote Post
kelvinyam
post Aug 6 2007, 02:43 PM

QUOTE(saiga @ Aug 6 2007, 08:21 AM)
why don't you install lightning conductor for your house?

next time lightning strike, it will strike the conductor not the antenna  thumbup.gif
Yesterday I have checked out the lightning conductor (lightning rod), and you know what, it cost RM20k. Usually no one staying in double story house will install it. It's only for those who's staying in bungalow on top of the hill (read: Rich man).

Base on the feedback from you guys, I guess PVC ducting is the only way.
+Quote Post
accs_centre
post Aug 7 2007, 04:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!

Your house only have one wall socket for antenna? No wall socket built-in for ASTRO wiring?
+Quote Post
kancheong
post Aug 7 2007, 06:52 PM

Getting Started

Lighning does strike twice and may be more to come ! Sad but its true. No need to spend 20k on the lightning rod just get yourself something like the belkin or cal-lab lightning protectors. Not really expensive but effective cos they give lifetime warranty.

www.cal-lab.com or www.belkin.com.
Actually saw someone selling in lyn but dunno which thread.

+Quote Post
lj0000
post Aug 7 2007, 10:09 PM

Regular

i suggest the belkin one.. more expensive but it include equipment insurance as well.

about ur antenna, the direct sales tv one, got a indoor antenna using powerline. can try that, but no garantee.

indoor antenna is not all bad.. i am using this prostar ar 454a tat cost arn 30-40 and yet i can receive all channels crystal clear. thats after trying out a few brands and this one sticks.

lightining.. u r lucky it dint burn ur house. do consider some protection for urself. dun forget to insure ur house against lightning as well.

contrary to public believe, the lightning rod actually 'attract' lightning. so if u have lighting rod, u r more likely to get stuck.
survey ur surrounding to see if there are any tall trees or building that attract the lighitning. instaling a lightning rod will attract the lightning, then channel it down to earth. but this will also rise the earth voltage, destrying everything that is connected to earth. so... u still need a lightning arrestor.
get a type 1 that is able to handle high current.

Added on August 7, 2007, 10:49 pmhttp://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=451965&hl=belkin

This post has been edited by lj0000: Aug 7 2007, 10:49 PM
+Quote Post
saiga
post Aug 8 2007, 12:10 AM

Casual

QUOTE(kelvinyam @ Aug 6 2007, 02:43 PM)
Yesterday I have checked out the lightning conductor (lightning rod), and you know what, it cost RM20k. Usually no one staying in double story house will install it. It's only for those who's staying in bungalow on top of the hill (read: Rich man).

wah, never thought cost that much sweat.gif
+Quote Post
xordMeztGeR
post Aug 8 2007, 12:47 AM

satu bintang 5 ringgit!! murah murah!

QUOTE(kancheong @ Aug 7 2007, 06:52 PM)
Lighning does strike twice and may be more to come ! Sad but its true. No need to spend 20k on the lightning rod just get yourself something like the belkin or cal-lab lightning protectors. Not really expensive but effective cos they give lifetime warranty.

this kind of thing only protect the peripherals, but not the cable.
+Quote Post
mengsuan
post Aug 8 2007, 03:25 PM

Dare to Venture? ©
Group Icon
Networking
Group: Moderator

QUOTE(lj0000 @ Aug 7 2007, 10:09 PM)
about ur antenna, the direct sales tv one, got a indoor antenna using powerline. can try that, but no garantee.
I have that too. If anyone wants to buy that indoor antenna, you can buy from me. Of course, no guarantee that it will give cystal clear pics, as I myself find it lousy. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by mengsuan: Aug 8 2007, 03:26 PM
+Quote Post
driftmeister
post Aug 8 2007, 03:37 PM

Penggadai Rakyat®

QUOTE(kelvinyam @ Aug 6 2007, 02:43 PM)

20k ?
sure bo ?
sweat.gif sweat.gif sweat.gif
i am staying at low cost detached house area
a neighbor of mine (few lots away, corner) did install a conductor
i dun think he could afford to pay 20k though
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bsl555
post Aug 8 2007, 04:37 PM

Defunct

I honestly don't know how a sum of RM20k can be estimated or justified. I think its always best to get a quote from various electrical contractors..not from hearsay. The amount of materials required varies according to the build of the house...just as in the case of whatever else M & E installation.
+Quote Post
sunauto
post Aug 8 2007, 07:43 PM

<< Blu-Ray Rocks >>

QUOTE(xordMeztGeR @ Aug 8 2007, 12:47 AM)
this kind of thing only protect the peripherals, but not the cable.
Well, I believe your peripherals or equipments are more costly that the cable itself. It's good to get a surge protector. As for indoor antennas, the one from Quantum Showcase / Smartshop do work if your area has good reception, I bought it last time at around RM90 plus but I guess it's a lot cheaper now, maybe they will lelong it since very few people go for indoor antennas nowadays especially at this price.
+Quote Post
grandspy
post Aug 11 2007, 10:10 PM

The Mothership is here!

It's the conductor cable that's expensive. But RM20K is way to much! RM2K sounds more reasonable.
+Quote Post
kelvinyam
post Aug 12 2007, 07:51 PM

QUOTE(accs_centre @ Aug 7 2007, 04:15 PM)
Your house only have one wall socket for antenna? No wall socket built-in for ASTRO wiring?
Got. And I guess Astro cable is fried too b'cos the dish is cooked. Since i had terminated Astro 2 months ago, so can't verify.

QUOTE(kancheong @ Aug 7 2007, 06:52 PM)

I'm aware of those, but my current concern is on the cable protection, not equipment.

QUOTE(lj0000 @ Aug 7 2007, 10:09 PM)
lightining.. u r lucky it dint burn ur house. do consider some protection for urself. dun forget to insure ur house against lightning as well.

Added on August 7, 2007, 10:49 pmhttp://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=451965&hl=belkin
You don't make me sweat leh.

QUOTE(bsl555 @ Aug 8 2007, 04:37 PM)
I honestly don't know how a sum of RM20k can be estimated or justified. I think its always best to get a quote from various electrical contractors..not from hearsay. The amount of materials required varies according to the build of the house...just as in the case of whatever else M & E installation.
Nope, it's not the actual price nor a quote from electrician. It's just an estimated told by my brother in law. He's doing electrical cable pulling for a living.

QUOTE(grandspy @ Aug 11 2007, 10:10 PM)
It's the conductor cable that's expensive. But RM20K is way to much! RM2K sounds more reasonable.
Copper is damn expensive now a days. So pulling something from a first floor roof top down to the ground definitely cost more than RM2k.
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1189sec    3.61    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 11:53 PM