Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Should i study arts or psychology?

views

TSUnstableguy P
post Jul 5 2020, 07:20 PM, updated 4y ago

Probation
11 posts

Hi everyone, I am currently studying arts in the one academy and I find that the workload is too heavy which is causing me to stress out, not enough rest and I'm starting to doubt whether should I continue to study arts. Don't get me wrong, I really love drawing and hopes to be an animator but at the same time I'm also interested in psychology. I can see myself doing both in the future. Any advices for me? Should I continue to study in the one academy or change my course to psychology? Can you share your experiences with me in psychology and arts, it will really help out alot ☺️
Yenactiet
post Jul 5 2020, 08:43 PM

Getting Started
281 posts

Personally, I think it's weird to study drawing in tertiary education because you can pretty much study it in a more relaxed environment and get the same result with a cheaper cost by paying a professional to teach you. Comparing to an arts degree, a psychology degree undoubtedly has better value and higher ROI since it's a degree that can bring you into both healthcare and corporate worlds.

P/S: This is strictly my opinion without any actual knowledge in them.
singleguy
post Jul 5 2020, 09:00 PM

relax lah!
1,090 posts

QUOTE(Unstableguy @ Jul 5 2020, 07:20 PM)
Hi everyone, I am currently studying arts in the one academy and I find that the workload is too heavy which is causing me to stress out, not enough rest and I'm starting to doubt whether should I continue to study arts. Don't get me wrong, I really love drawing and hopes to be an animator but at the same time I'm also interested in psychology. I can see myself doing both in the future. Any advices for me? Should I continue to study in the one academy or change my course to psychology? Can you share your experiences with me in psychology and arts, it will really help out alot ☺️
Some might disagree with me, if i could turn back, i would chose a money making career than a passion first career biggrin.gif biggrin.gif . As @Yenactiet mentioned, ROI for a physcology could be faster. Whatever your workload in TOA now is nothing compares to what you will face in the real world. I lost my interest during final term project, but luckily i have good teamates and lecturer to bring me back on track. Fast forward 25 years later, im doing pretty ok now, but could be better. (probably im the few lucky ones compared to some of my peers.

What i am trying to say is, if you know what you want, and doing.. by all means push through TOA, theres a lot of good work opportunity in Malaysia nowdays unlike my time, you'll be fine down the road if you're persistent.
Otherwise just move and and don't drag. I have no experience in psychology courses, but i guess for the first few years could be the same like what my cousins doing during medical years? Study like no tomorrow smile.gif He is doing well, very well.

Good luck and all the best!

This post has been edited by singleguy: Jul 5 2020, 09:01 PM
TSUnstableguy P
post Jul 5 2020, 09:07 PM

Probation
11 posts

QUOTE(singleguy @ Jul 5 2020, 09:00 PM)
Some might disagree with me, if i could turn back, i would chose a money making career than a passion first career biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  .  As @Yenactiet mentioned,  ROI for a physcology could be faster.  Whatever your workload in TOA now is nothing compares to what you  will face in  the real world.  I lost my interest during final term project, but luckily i have good teamates and lecturer to bring me back on track.  Fast forward 25 years later, im doing pretty ok now, but could be better. (probably im the few lucky ones compared to some of my peers.

What i am trying to say is, if you know what you want, and doing.. by all means push through TOA, theres a lot of good work opportunity in Malaysia nowdays unlike my time, you'll be fine down the road if you're persistent.
Otherwise just move and and don't drag.  I have no experience in psychology courses, but i guess for the first few years could be the same like what my cousins doing during medical years? Study like no tomorrow smile.gif He is doing well, very well.
Good luck and all the best!
Alright, thank you so much for your reply, it really helps a lot, thank you 😁!
TSUnstableguy P
post Jul 5 2020, 09:09 PM

Probation
11 posts

QUOTE(Yenactiet @ Jul 5 2020, 08:43 PM)
Personally, I think it's weird to study drawing in tertiary education because you can pretty much study it in a more relaxed environment and get the same result with a cheaper cost by paying a professional to teach you. Comparing to an arts degree, a psychology degree undoubtedly has better value and higher ROI since it's a degree that can bring you into both healthcare and corporate worlds.

P/S: This is strictly my opinion without any actual knowledge in them.
Yeah, but in order to have a career related to art we have no choice but to study it in a higher level right? But anyways, thank you so much for your reply!! 😊
Yenactiet
post Jul 5 2020, 09:13 PM

Getting Started
281 posts

QUOTE(Unstableguy @ Jul 5 2020, 09:09 PM)
Yeah, but in order to have a career related to art we have no choice but to study it in a higher level right? But anyways, thank you so much for your reply!! 😊
I'm not quite sure, but usually, a portfolio is needed isn't it? That's the part where you can prove to your employers that you truly have the skills, you can take part in competitions too to make your name known to the employers. Just my 2 cents.
singleguy
post Jul 5 2020, 09:28 PM

relax lah!
1,090 posts

QUOTE(Unstableguy @ Jul 5 2020, 09:09 PM)
Locally no you don't. Degree only adds value if you would like to pursue higher level work. ** Personal opinion **
scgoh123
post Jul 8 2020, 05:38 PM

【鬼の隠し拳:天地ガエシ】
846 posts

QUOTE(Unstableguy @ Jul 5 2020, 08:20 PM)
Being a psychologist doesn't mean that you are more relaxed and will be having adequate rest. Plus psychology is totally a different playing field compared to arts.

Since your passion is in drawing and animation, you should pull yourself through it as you are currently building up your fundamental skills to be employable. Yes, there will be stress and restless nights along the way, but your passion and interests will drive you to do better. If you think that such challenge overwhelms you a lot until you are mentally unstable to make decisions... then it's time to doubt yourself whether this path is right for you or not.

Being an animator/illustrator in industry is way harder than being a student in a college. You are creating artworks not for yourself, but to satisfy your clients.
hirano
post Jul 10 2020, 12:31 AM

凸(`△´#)
3,260 posts

For psychology, better u study until masters level
Blofeld
post Jul 10 2020, 09:32 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,457 posts

If u want to get into psychology, get ready to further your studies up to PhD level. Only then you will see vast opportunities.

If u stop at the undergrad level, then you will just end up like any business admin graduate.
scilover
post Jul 13 2020, 12:44 PM

Getting Started
66 posts

Well, it depends on the college actually. One of my friend used to study in one academy but it was too stressful for him so he changed to inti and now he's all good. If your passion is animating, then continue it still. Just find another college. But at the of the day, its your life and choice, dont feel pressured!
MarkVV P
post Jul 16 2020, 06:19 PM

Probation
1 posts

QUOTE(scilover @ Jul 13 2020, 12:44 PM)
Well, it depends on the college actually. One of my friend used to study in one academy but it was too stressful for him so he changed to inti and now he's all good. If your passion is animating, then continue it still. Just find another college. But at the of the day, its your life and choice, dont feel pressured!
Yeah, it is really depends on college.
If you can't manage already, so what are you gonna do in future?
You can take an academic vacation as well.
myo
post Jul 17 2020, 08:12 AM

Getting Started
89 posts

whatever you interested.. never force to do anything that you didn´t like..
terryble
post Jul 17 2020, 08:25 AM

On my way
527 posts

why do you think studying psychology is relaxing?

i think you started from a wrong reason to switch courses if you are suffering now and would like an imaginatively easier way out...and what kind of ROI are u referring to? how do you calculate it?

i have tonnes of friend in psychology studies...except for one who had continuous development in the field ....NONE of them end up in work in the psychology field...not even close...
most of them ended up in sales...is that what u want?

in the world of IT and tech boom...content creator will have a really bright future....i suggest that you hang in there...im sure what they teach u in the One is not drawing classes...but how to create better content in various way...focus and finish your course...

This post has been edited by terryble: Jul 17 2020, 08:26 AM
riyad2020 P
post Jul 18 2020, 07:19 AM

Probation
4 posts

If you’re pursuing psychology, do it by all means but you need to remember that Malaysia offers rather limited work options for this field. It’s best you complete your Masters and move overseas opportunities.

Maybe after years of practicing, you can opt to come back with better contacts and maybe setup a private practice here.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0146sec    0.60    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:32 PM