Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Illegear Raven SE swollen battery, Hoops to jump

views

TSYasogami
post Jul 4 2020, 11:51 PM, updated 4y ago

6 posts

Hey guys, I've be a happy owner of an Illegear Raven SE for a little over a year now. It performs, it's sleek, haven't quite gelled with the keyboard yet it does what I need it to all the time. You feel a but incoming right?

Around a week ago I noticed the touchpad bulging from the bottom right corner with Left-click and Right-click becoming very resistant. Didn't think much of it cause I use a mouse most of the time and the same thing happened with my old lenovo laptop (albeit much later down the years). Only 10 hours ago did I decide to do abit more digging about the issue and found it could be swollen battery that's pushing the touchpad, which is a much serious concern. Opened the back panel and there it is, 3 swollen chubby battery packs.

So I checked the order confirmation e-mail, and it states "Warranty: ILLEGEAR Carry-in Warranty with 2 Year Parts and Labor & Lifetime Technical Support" in full. I then contacted them about the issue with pictures to show and mercy to beg for. As it turns out, batteries and chargers are not considered 'parts'! They're considered 'consumables' and are subject to just one year warranty, and wouldn't you know, mine just ran out.

In disbelief, I quickly searched around for 'Illegear battery warranty'. And yeah it is mentioned...in the FAQ section. I'm not sure if I was verbally told about it before, but not even in the the warranty page itself did they define a difference between parts and consumables (please correct me if I'm missing something). So with my seething rage I've made this post to conclude with some questions:

1. Is it normal for batteries, or any other component to be defined separately from the term 'parts'?

2. When a warranty states it covers parts of the laptop, is "well what about the battery?" really such a frequent question that it deserves a spot in the FAQ section and I only have myself to blame for not realizing it sooner?

3. Have any other Raven SE users have run into this same battery problem? It seems weird to me the problem rose around the end of the warranty

I think the warranty clause in any document sent to me should clearly tell me what isn't covered, instead of leaving it in a section that I will likely only see when it becomes an issue. As it stands, I feel slightly bamboozled.

UPDATE: Illegear offered to replace my battery at lower than their usual price
UPDATE: My bad, it is mentioned under clause 3 of the warranty page. My point still stands, it should be in the receipt.

This post has been edited by Yasogami: Jul 9 2020, 05:19 PM
ne0bolimi3rd
post Jul 5 2020, 07:59 AM

40 posts

1. Yes. from automakers, powertools, toys, gadgets almost everything put batteries in a different term.

2. Partly to you, another part is Illegear. they admit that battery has a higher failure rate but did nothing for existing consumer.
they only change it for those who still in their warranty period.

3. Many. they(illegear) said 30% if i'm not mistaken

sorry. my bad they said 1% only for raven se.
but i'm pretty sure those figure is for reported cases only

This post has been edited by ne0bolimi3rd: Jul 5 2020, 08:17 AM
chkwong
post Jul 5 2020, 08:02 AM

Casual
382 posts

Batteries n chargers are normally having shorter warranty period.

However, having said that, yours is just less than 2 years and it happens. That's pretty low quality or high defect rates.

I have been using ThinkPad, HP, Dell, Asus and Acer. Non have issues with batteries issues, except for one. The battery cannot hold full charge after warranty, and they were willing to change it FOC out of courtesy.

Been contemplating about buying illegear, but things like this am holding off purchase first or get another brand.
TSYasogami
post Jul 5 2020, 02:36 PM

6 posts

Update moved to OP my bad

This post has been edited by Yasogami: Jul 5 2020, 02:53 PM
xCryptik
post Jul 7 2020, 03:42 PM

On my way
549 posts

QUOTE(Yasogami @ Jul 5 2020, 03:36 PM)
Update moved to OP my bad
47Wh Battery or 63Wh Battery?
TSYasogami
post Jul 8 2020, 04:31 AM

6 posts

QUOTE(xCryptik @ Jul 7 2020, 04:42 PM)
47Wh Battery or 63Wh Battery?
47Wh
andrekua2
post Jul 8 2020, 08:21 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,490 posts

I think you should not be surprised that battery are not covered under warranty for long. It has been the same practice since long time ago. Usually they will cover between 6-12months despite the laptop being covered under extended warranties.

However, I do think they should change their practice now since battery are being built-in and not easily exchangeable like last time.
slaveone
post Jul 8 2020, 08:25 AM

Regular
1,180 posts

they should explicitly mention that the battery warranty differs from the laptop warranty.
gigigigi99
post Jul 9 2020, 02:45 PM

Getting Started
217 posts

QUOTE(Yasogami @ Jul 8 2020, 04:31 AM)
47Wh
console.gif console.gif
Prince J
post Jul 9 2020, 03:56 PM

Regular
1,272 posts

QUOTE(slaveone @ Jul 8 2020, 08:25 AM)
they should explicitly mention that the battery warranty differs from the laptop warranty.
We do mention. Please refer to here: https://www.illegear.com/warranty/

This post has been edited by Prince J: Mar 19 2021, 02:34 AM
TSYasogami
post Jul 9 2020, 04:17 PM

6 posts

QUOTE(Prince J @ Jul 9 2020, 04:56 PM)

We have contacted TS in illegear thread to have him send in his laptop and we will cover it under warranty this time for him smile.gif
Sorry I didn't notice earlier. I'll send a pm soon.

EDIT It is mentioned in the warranty page

I still think it's better something like this be mentioned in the receipt or order confirmation, users are much likely to see it.

This post has been edited by Yasogami: Jul 9 2020, 05:12 PM
slaveone
post Jul 9 2020, 04:59 PM

Regular
1,180 posts

QUOTE(Prince J @ Jul 9 2020, 03:56 PM)

We have contacted TS in illegear thread to have him send in his laptop and we will cover it under warranty this time for him smile.gif
Good that it was mentioned explicitly thumbsup.gif
Hollo
post Sep 14 2020, 06:11 PM

6 posts

Hello, so your battery got swollen too? Mine also, just realised it, bought last year. The replacement damn expensive too 😐
clon12
post Sep 14 2020, 08:56 PM

let's learn together!
2,874 posts

How much is the replacement and service cost?
megabboy P
post Sep 26 2020, 08:35 PM

Probation
2 posts

Same problem here, but there is only 1 swollen pack for my case. I only realized the problem 2 weeks after the 1-year battery warranty expired. I went to their service center and they said they will provide a 50% offer for my battery replacement (About RM200). But I still think the replacement is expensive as I can find the price of other brands' battery is almost the same. Now I am hesitating whether it is worth paying for that.
dark_axl21
post Sep 26 2020, 08:38 PM

TUKANG
631 posts

QUOTE(megabboy @ Sep 26 2020, 08:35 PM)
Same problem here, but there is only 1 swollen pack for my case. I only realized the problem 2 weeks after the 1-year battery warranty expired. I went to their service center and they said they will provide a 50% offer for my battery replacement (About RM200). But I still think the replacement is expensive as I can find the price of other brands' battery is almost the same. Now I am hesitating whether it is worth paying for that.
About 200 ringgit even after the 50% offer? Gosh blink.gif
megabboy P
post Sep 26 2020, 08:46 PM

Probation
2 posts

Exactly. I don't think RM400 for a 47wh battery is worth the money tbh.
ElvinXM
post Oct 10 2020, 11:29 PM

5 posts

Hi, my Raven SE also have the same problem here. I removed the battery but now my laptop become little bit of slow and less FPS when playing game. Anyone facing it?
TSYasogami
post Oct 12 2020, 03:06 AM

6 posts

QUOTE(ElvinXM @ Oct 11 2020, 12:29 AM)
Hi, my Raven SE also have the same problem here. I removed the battery but now my laptop become little bit of slow and less FPS when playing game. Anyone facing it?
Is your power mode set to best performance?
ElvinXM
post Oct 12 2020, 09:03 AM

5 posts

QUOTE(Yasogami @ Oct 12 2020, 03:06 AM)
Is your power mode set to best performance?

Ya, I try to re-attached the battery again and it just working fine which stable 60fps. Once I removed it the FPS will randomly within 50-60fps.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0183sec    0.64    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:32 PM