Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> I would Emigrate if I could, Would you? (Social Issues)

views

Rand
post Yesterday, 11:49 AM

Getting Started
290 posts

QUOTE(lurkingaround @ May 5 2021, 10:21 AM)
Got atheists here say I am a dupe of sylar111 The Christian Anti-atheist Activist, and got /kopitards say I am a dupe of menj The Muslim Apologist. Go figure.

Afaik, Australia and NZ were British colonies populated by mostly exiled British criminals who were mostly nominal Christians. They did not have the war-problems with the mostly Chinese Maoist communist terrorists like Malaya had.  Being Christianized like Britain, NZ welcomes skilled foreign migrants and treats them OK, ie tolerably. I believe unspoken racism against Chinese still exist in NZ.
....... In comparison, Christianized but Communized Russia is quite the opposite, ie do not welcome foreign migrants = very few Chinese immigrants in Russia. Even Communist CCP China does not welcome "impure" overseas Chinese as immigrants.
Can you please elaborate on your point in the 2nd paragraph and how it relates to the post you quoted?

mikehuan
post Yesterday, 12:51 PM

terrorhoof!
4,300 posts

QUOTE(Accord2018 @ May 4 2021, 05:19 PM)
Now covid your studio business how? no body building anymore?
what studio? LOL. what kind of fail is this? you cant think of an appropriate reply you then look into my post history, which is available to public anyways to change the topic? If you are really interested you're welcome to PM me about my personal stuff otherwise stop with the salesman tactics yah. Makes you look stupid. Be like your bro alhelmy, cant think of anything he just shuts up.
martianunlimited
post Yesterday, 12:59 PM

The original Martian
1,313 posts

QUOTE(Rand @ May 5 2021, 04:49 PM)
Can you please elaborate on your point in the 2nd paragraph and how it relates to the post you quoted?
He is thinking of SpikeMarlene/Spear2 smile.gif

https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?act=Sear...1+lurkingaround

Otherwise his grip on reality is more tenuous than what we initially assumed.

Attached Image

Edit: oh sorry, you meant just the second paragraph...
well.. his grip on reality is tenuous... and he has had something against me (and probably everything i am associated with) after i reported him for flooding + quadruple posting + posting multiple threads in RWI... seriously dude.. there is an ignore function.. block me and move on...

This post has been edited by martianunlimited: Yesterday, 01:06 PM
Rand
post Yesterday, 01:33 PM

Getting Started
290 posts

QUOTE(martianunlimited @ May 5 2021, 12:59 PM)
He is thinking of SpikeMarlene/Spear2 smile.gif

https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?act=Sear...1+lurkingaround

Otherwise his grip on reality is more tenuous than what we initially assumed.

Attached Image

Edit: oh sorry, you meant just the second paragraph...
well.. his grip on reality is tenuous... and he has had something against me (and probably everything i am associated with) after i reported him for flooding + quadruple posting + posting multiple threads in RWI... seriously dude.. there is an ignore function.. block me and move on...
Wow you all seem to know each other pretty well here.

I remember a SpikeMarlene back from when I used to debate about religion here in like 2014.

Gave that up as a lost cause, people will believe what they want to believe.

I just get annoyed when I see people saying that prices are higher in other countries without taking into account the salaries earned there.
martianunlimited
post Yesterday, 01:42 PM

The original Martian
1,313 posts

QUOTE(Rand @ May 5 2021, 06:33 PM)
Wow you all seem to know each other pretty well here.

I remember a SpikeMarlene back from when I used to debate about religion here in like 2014.

Gave that up as a lost cause, people will believe what they want to believe.

I just get annoyed when I see people saying that prices are higher in other countries without taking into account the salaries earned there.
Ya exactly,... even when i was a TA, i could support myself on 15 hours of work (and live very comfortably.... but i was earning close to 30 per hour as a TA )

My city is not the cheapest city in NZ (it's probably 4th after Auckland, Wellington and Tauranga) but it's definitely livable even for minimum wage earners...
For the record, a 1-bedroom apartment rent is NZD ~250 , and ~350 for 2 bedroom and ~400 for 3 bedroom..
Utilities (Electricity + broadband) are about NZD 70 per week
Dining out is ~10NZD per person/per meal.. and groceries for cooking yourself costs about 5NZD per portion..

now divide that by 20 NZD and that will give you an indication of how many hours of work you need at minimum wage to support yourself and your family...
alhelmy
post Yesterday, 01:42 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,370 posts

QUOTE(kmarc @ May 4 2021, 03:22 PM)
Lam86, lamtin and accord2018 is the same person. His continual denial proves it, among other qualities I don't want to mention.

For lurking, highly unlikely because his delusional ideas are too.......... <insert your own words here>  biggrin.gif
Ha ha I'm amused with your theory that Lam86, lamtin and accord2018 is the same person. Pehaps kmarc, spear and mikehuan the same person?

mikehuan
post Yesterday, 01:57 PM

terrorhoof!
4,300 posts

QUOTE(alhelmy @ May 5 2021, 01:42 PM)
Ha ha I'm amused with your theory that Lam86, lamtin and accord2018 is the same person. Pehaps kmarc, spear and mikehuan the same person?
you are absolutely right.
lurkingaround
post Yesterday, 02:30 PM

Rule of Law
2,868 posts

QUOTE(kmarc @ May 4 2021 @ 03:22 PM)
Lam86, lamtin and accord2018 is the same person. His continual denial proves it, among other qualities I don't want to mention.

For lurking, highly unlikely because his delusional ideas are too.......... <insert your own words here>  biggrin.gif
QUOTE(alhelmy @ May 5 2021, 01:42 PM)
Instead of focusing on the OP/topic "I would emigrate if I could", the mostly Chinese and atheist anti-SP gang here have a preponderance to resort to personal ad hominem attacks and false accusations of duplicate accounts against their debate-opponents, especially when they are losing the debate. No wonder Accord2018 wanted to sue them for defamation and most of them are on my Ignore list, especially the very vocal/noisy atheists.

mikehuan
post Yesterday, 02:50 PM

terrorhoof!
4,300 posts

QUOTE(lurkingaround @ May 5 2021, 02:30 PM)
Instead of focusing on the OP/topic "I would emigrate if I could", the mostly Chinese and atheist anti-SP gang here have a preponderance to resort to personal ad hominem attacks and false accusations of duplicate accounts against their debate-opponents, especially when they are losing the debate. No wonder Accord2018 wanted to sue them for defamation and most of them are on my Ignore list, especially the very vocal/noisy atheists.
and you are racist, and proud of it.
lurkingaround
post Yesterday, 03:16 PM

Rule of Law
2,868 posts

In 1957, the Chinese and Indian political leaders in MCA and MIC(= Founding Uncles) fought hard politically and signed up to the Malayan Social Contract = the non-Malays got Easy Citizenship Grants as per Article 14-18 in the 1957 Federal Constitution of Malaya and the Malays got Special Position Grants (= more Federal government aid) as per Article 153 = Quid Pro Quo = a Fair and Equitable Deal.

The 1957 Easy Citizenship Grants allow the non-Malays to remain in Malaya/Malaysia and enjoy various citizenship rights, eg can vote, drive, fly overseas, buy house, buy land, open shops, do business, etc, compared to the less fortunate citizenshipless Chinese immigrants in Brunei in 1984 and citizenshipless Rohingya immigrants in Burma in 1948.

With little aid from the Federal government, the non-Malays would have to adapt accordingly, eg by studying harder (for those whose families are not rich = can't go to overseas Uni), working harder in the private sector, spending prudently, having fewer kids, etc = no real need to emigrate overseas just because the Malays got Special Position Grants in 1957. Most of the richest men in Malaysia are unemigrated non-Malays who got successful in the private sector after working hard for years with little help from the Federal government.

Those non-Malays who do not appreciate or accept the 1957 Social Contract by seeking to abolish or amend/"improve" the 1957 SP of the Malays are truly the unfair ones. Failing which, ie failing to achieve their "Malaysian Malaysia" or "Malaysian Dream"(= campaign slogan by DAP's LKS), they become disillusioned, angry and dissatisfied = some of the mostly non-Malay anti-SP "gangsters" then seek to emigrate overseas = forsake their Malaysian citizenship. Of course, they are free to do so, unlike in communist NKorea.

Worst are those non-Malays who made RM millions from Malaysia and then emigrate overseas with their "loot", eg GRAB's Anthony Tan from the wealthy Tan Chong Motor family. They are like economic saboteurs, similar to the mostly Chinese Maoist communist terrorist saboteurs during the 1948-1960 & 1968-1989 Malayan Emergency or Insurgency.

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise, ie more non-Malays emigrating overseas because of their anger with the Malay's SP = the non-Malay population in the Peninsula will dwindle faster towards 10% when the 90% Malay quota of the SP would become quite meaningless.
....... Note that in 1957, the non-Malay population in the Peninsula was about 50%. In 2020, it's about 30%. It should be about 10% in 2070.

This post has been edited by lurkingaround: Yesterday, 03:36 PM
Spear2
post Yesterday, 04:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
7,973 posts

QUOTE(lurkingaround @ May 5 2021, 03:16 PM)
In 1957, the Chinese and Indian political leaders in MCA and MIC(= Founding Uncles) fought hard politically and signed up to the Malayan Social Contract = the non-Malays got Easy Citizenship Grants as per Article 14-18 in the 1957 Federal Constitution of Malaya and the Malays got Special Position Grants (= more Federal government aid) as per Article 153 = Quid Pro Quo = a Fair and Equitable Deal.

The 1957 Easy Citizenship Grants allow the non-Malays to remain in Malaya/Malaysia and enjoy various citizenship rights, eg can vote, drive, fly overseas, buy house, buy land, open shops, do business, etc, compared to the less fortunate citizenshipless Chinese immigrants in Brunei in 1984 and citizenshipless Rohingya immigrants in Burma in 1948.

With little aid from the Federal government, the non-Malays would have to adapt accordingly, eg by studying harder (for those whose families are not rich = can't go to overseas Uni), working harder in the private sector, spending prudently, having fewer kids, etc = no real need to emigrate overseas just because the Malays got Special Position Grants in 1957. Most of the richest men in Malaysia are unemigrated non-Malays who got successful in the private sector after working hard for years with little help from the Federal government.

Those non-Malays who do not appreciate or accept the 1957 Social Contract by seeking to abolish or amend/"improve" the 1957 SP of the Malays are truly the unfair ones. Failing which, ie failing to achieve their "Malaysian Malaysia" or "Malaysian Dream"(= campaign slogan by DAP's LKS), they become disillusioned, angry and dissatisfied = some of the mostly non-Malay anti-SP "gangsters" then seek to emigrate overseas = forsake their Malaysian citizenship. Of course, they are free to do so, unlike in communist NKorea.

Worst are those non-Malays who made RM millions from Malaysia and then emigrate overseas with their "loot", eg GRAB's Anthony Tan from the wealthy Tan Chong Motor family. They are like economic saboteurs, similar to the mostly Chinese Maoist communist terrorist saboteurs during the 1948-1960 & 1968-1989 Malayan Emergency or Insurgency.

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise, ie more non-Malays emigrating overseas because of their anger with the Malay's SP = the non-Malay population in the Peninsula will dwindle faster towards 10% when the 90% Malay quota of the SP would become quite meaningless.
....... Note that in 1957, the non-Malay population in the Peninsula was about 50%. In 2020, it's about 30%. It should be about 10% in 2070.
You are telling us this projection of yours because ... ?
Rand
post Yesterday, 04:29 PM

Getting Started
290 posts

QUOTE(martianunlimited @ May 5 2021, 01:42 PM)
Ya exactly,... even when i was a TA, i could support myself on 15 hours of work (and live very comfortably.... but i was earning close to 30 per hour as a TA )

My city is not the cheapest city in NZ (it's probably 4th after Auckland, Wellington and Tauranga) but it's definitely livable even for minimum wage earners...
For the record, a 1-bedroom apartment rent is  NZD ~250 , and ~350 for 2 bedroom and ~400 for 3 bedroom..
Utilities (Electricity + broadband) are about NZD 70 per week
Dining out is ~10NZD per person/per meal.. and groceries for cooking yourself costs about 5NZD per portion..

now divide that by 20 NZD and that will give you an indication of how many hours of work you need at minimum wage to support yourself and your family...
I have to say that living in NZ seems pretty cheap. The accommodation especially is lower than in Melbourne anyway. Is it the same in Auckland? I hear that the property prices are going gangbusters there.
kmarc
post Yesterday, 07:11 PM

The future is here - Cryptocurrencies!
Group Icon
Elite
12,458 posts

QUOTE(Accord2018 @ May 5 2021, 08:49 AM)
I no receive anything but can guarantee you will receive karma from the skies for constantly accusing people without evidence.
See, you can't even answer clearly. What is "I no receive"? Your English suddenly gone to England?

Here, try again.

Are you or have you been receiving financial, monetary or other benefits for being here and posting in this real-world issues subforum of lowyat.net?

Just answer "Yes I am or have received it" or "No, I am not or have not received it". Cut and paste. Easy.
martianunlimited
post Yesterday, 07:34 PM

The original Martian
1,313 posts

QUOTE(Rand @ May 5 2021, 09:29 PM)
I have to say that living in NZ seems pretty cheap. The accommodation especially is lower than in Melbourne anyway. Is it the same in Auckland? I hear that the property prices are going gangbusters there.
Property prices in NZ has overheated in the last 5 years... (going up ~20% annually), median property prices in Auckland is about 1.1million and in Hamilton about 700k... (Wellington is at about 800k)... Thankfully rentals are somewhat controlled... landlords are not allowed to raise rents unreasonably... and there is a whole slew of renter's rights that are enforced.

Auckland rents are about 40-50% more than Hamilton.. (when I was considering doing my doctorate in Auckland, i knew that my rent would be about 300 p/w which was 50% more than what i paid in Hamilton... Stipends and TA pays are higher though (35 p/h), so it kinda makes up the difference ) which is why I have to preface that it is possible to support a family of 4 on minimum wage... OUTSIDE of Auckland... (and maybe Wellington, unless you are willing to live in the Hutt and train into the city) )

Edit: Yikes.. the numbers I have are outdated.. one of my mates just posted this
Attached Image

Side note: It is cute how lurkingaround tried to use the word "preponderance" but use it incorrectly... for the record saying "preponderance" without saying what is it "of" is meaningless... "preponderance" means "to be in greater quantity/quality of something"... People should not just copy words without knowing how to use them .... but i guess just as Oscar Wilde puts is.... "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".. smile.gif... the word you are looking for is "tendency" btw smile.gif

This post has been edited by martianunlimited: Yesterday, 07:51 PM
Accord2018
post Yesterday, 10:04 PM

On my way
585 posts

edit

This post has been edited by Accord2018: Today, 09:46 AM
Rand
post Today, 07:58 AM

Getting Started
290 posts

QUOTE(martianunlimited @ May 5 2021, 07:34 PM)
Property prices in NZ has overheated in the last 5 years... (going up ~20% annually), median property prices in Auckland is about 1.1million and in Hamilton about 700k... (Wellington is at about 800k)... Thankfully rentals are somewhat controlled... landlords are not allowed to raise rents unreasonably... and there is a whole slew of renter's rights that are enforced.

Auckland rents are about 40-50% more than Hamilton.. (when I was considering doing my doctorate in Auckland, i knew that my rent would be about 300 p/w which was 50% more than what i paid in Hamilton... Stipends and TA pays are higher though (35 p/h), so it kinda makes up the difference ) which is why I have to preface that it is possible to support a family of 4 on minimum wage... OUTSIDE of Auckland... (and maybe Wellington, unless you are willing to live in the Hutt and train into the city) )

Edit: Yikes.. the numbers I have are outdated.. one of my mates just posted this
Attached Image

Side note: It is cute how lurkingaround tried to use the word "preponderance" but use it incorrectly... for the record saying "preponderance" without saying what is it "of" is meaningless... "preponderance" means "to be in greater quantity/quality of something"... People should not just copy words without knowing how to use them .... but i guess just as Oscar Wilde puts is.... "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".. smile.gif... the word you are looking for is "tendency" btw smile.gif
If nothing else, I'd say that the property prices are a valid reason to not migrate (if owning property is a must). I know that tenancy laws are probably pretty robust but you know the arguments some people will bring up about property ownership.

I can't imagine that the average New Zealander would have an easy time purchasing a $1mil + property. What is the median income in New Zealand? like $50 to $60k?

Even $700k in Hamilton is pretty high. I remember driving through a couple of years back, and it seemed like a satellite city of Auckland of sorts, from a tourist's perspective. Christchurch is probably the lowest because of the earthquake? I had friends who moved to Auckland to get away from that.

martianunlimited
post Today, 11:09 AM

The original Martian
1,313 posts

QUOTE(Rand @ May 6 2021, 12:58 PM)
If nothing else, I'd say that the property prices are a valid reason to not migrate (if owning property is a must). I know that tenancy laws are probably pretty robust but you know the arguments some people will bring up about property ownership.

I can't imagine that the average New Zealander would have an easy time purchasing a $1mil + property. What is the median income in New Zealand? like $50 to $60k?

Even $700k in Hamilton is pretty high. I remember driving through a couple of years back, and it seemed like a satellite city of Auckland of sorts, from a tourist's perspective. Christchurch is probably the lowest because of the earthquake? I had friends who moved to Auckland to get away from that.
Ya, median income is ~55k... It was something that the govt has dropped the ball on, because they let foreign buyers (*cough* buyers from China *cough*) buy up property even though they don't live in NZ, (there are talks on limiting buying to only citizens and residents... but cynically, I think all that accomplishes is to create a market for proxy buyers buying property on behalf of foreign buyers) plus there wasn't a RPGT until recently... It is a problem the NZ Govt recognize, and they just recently introduced measures to "cool" the housing market, but I don't think we will be seeing any effects of that any time soon.... Like I say, NZ is not perfect... (govt inefficiency is my biggest complaint... (also sometimes the policies are just dumb...)), but coming from Penang I think I have a better shot of buying a house in NZ than I do back in Malaysia given my earning potential...

Accord2018
post Today, 12:23 PM

On my way
585 posts

QUOTE(martianunlimited @ May 5 2021, 03:57 AM)
Ya, i think it's kinda established (or at least there is a preponderance of evidence that accord2018 is lamtin's dupe) https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...ost&p=100356285

Lurkingaround is someone else, he has been around enough... and is just nuts...

Back to the topic,
I am a migrant, I have been in New Zealand for 8+ years now, and while I was initially planning to return after a short stint post my graduate studies, I don't anymore. It is not to say my love for Malaysia has diminished, quite the contrary actually, we have a very sizable community of Malaysians (which btw, does include Malays) that occasionally gather, and talk shit about the flaws of how things are run in Malaysia while reminiscing about the things we miss in Malaysia, but regardless we call New Zealand home now and most of us are not planning to go back anytime soon. We do however see ourselves as representatives of Malaysia trying to project the best Malaysia has to offer despite and in spite of what Malaysians back home think about us.

Was the migrant experience good for everyone? No, I have to say not... It is not easy being a migrant, and anyone thinking about taking that decision have to count the cost before taking it, however in spite of the cost, and the difficulties, very few of us regret being migrants.
that is why people like you are hopeless. Only to milk the benefits from Malaysia but not contribute anything back. You should just stay in other countries since 1 year age and replace with someone that willing to contribute and sacrifice for Malaysia till old. When there is a benefit only you will come and grab it like the fun and satisfaction from playing Malaysia forum and you cannot get any fun from playing in new zealand forum.

20 Pages « < 18 19 20Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0225sec    0.72    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 6th May 2021 - 01:49 PM