Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Standard ] · Linear+

> Gaming on Linux, Anyone?

views

TSchilskater
post Jul 7 2020, 02:27 PM

Enthusiast
775 posts

QUOTE(agamemnon70 @ Jul 2 2020, 12:52 PM)
TLDR; Steam, native games and Proton. Plus WINE if you really need a specific title.

Long version:

There are plenty of native games on Steam, you should be fine as long as you don't steer too much from main distributions.
That being said, there's absolutely nothing preventing you from running them on *any* distribution, it's just that you might need to deal with satisfying dependencies by hand, preloading libraries and so on.
For beginners i would recommend staying with one of the *Ubuntu flavours such as Lubuntu or Xubuntu.
Avoid GNOME desktop like the plague. It's bloated, takes a huge amount of CPU and GPU power, even more so than KDE.
If you're interested in good performance, a minimalistic low footprint desktop or even WM only solution would give you the biggest benefits.

Lubuntu relies on LXQT desktop, Qt based. Not exactly light, Qt, but for quite some time now it far far surpasses anything the Gnome and GTK idiots can come up with it.

Xubuntu is light too, and a slightly friendlier experience than Lubuntu, but it relies on GTK, so you're guaranteed to have breakage any time any of those "developers" decide to do a minor point release that breaks everything and blame it on the users.

In case you're wondering about the rant, yes, i've been here since the beginning, when were swapping floppies to build kernels and there were no forums and the internet was the wild west.

Kubuntu will give you the most user friendly experience if you're coming from Mac or heaven forbid, Windows.
Avoid Fedora. It's a rolling release, which means every 6 months they dump support, and any tickets in their support pages are left in limbo while they recommend you to upgrade to the next Fedora flavour. Rinse and repeat ad eternum.
Been doing that since Redhat 6.2. Not CentOS 6.2 mind you. RedHat Linux 6.2, and still have Loki Games Quake3 around.

If you're feeling adventurous, learn how to start X, configure your .xinitrc file and install and use FluxBox (www.fluxbox.org).

The lightest  thing possible, which means if you are CPU or GPU constrained this will squeeze every last bit of performance out of your system, at the cost of a true mid 90s UI/UX experience.
Then again, considering the UI/UX abominations done these days (see GNOME3, i rest my case), it's a win:win proposition.

Steam has plenty of native games, some are AAA ports, mostly from Feral Interactive (Tomb Raider series, MadMax and so on).
If you want to run any non-native games, there's something called "Proton", which is basically a rebranded WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator), a translation layer between windows calls and Linux calls, not an emulator.
Go to your advanced options, choose enable compatibility layer, specific version, and try the latest version always. Ensure you have the latest NVIDIA drivers (or AMD), since most of the latest Proton versions require good Vulkan support (an graphics API, think of OpenGL or DirectX).

You can check https://www.protondb.com/ for the games supported and their state. Most of them these days run fine since development for consoles requires a pretty standard development architecture, and studios are not going to spend millions of USD re-engineering their games with different APIs for different consoles, they'll try to unify anything as much as possible.

If you want to run a game not listed there, check the actual WINE database, https://appdb.winehq.org/
If you're a beginner, avoid it, but then again, you'll never learn if you won't put some time into it.
Have fun, and rest assured that you guys have it easy these days.

Finally, if you want to run some of the old Loki Games titles, you'll need a considerable amount of effort. Building kernel from source, disabling address space randomization, enabling compatibility with old glibc binaries, getting old libstdc++ libraries, dealing with old linker (LD), preloading libraries and so on.
You might be more sucessful just getting a old distribution such as RedHat 7.3 and installing it on a VM with hardware virtualization (i.e, KVM/QEMU, with VT-d, and so on).

Have fun
thanks..i am about to take the plunge...now install Pop Os dual boot...i want to 100% install Pop Os and use Virtual Box or VMware for Windows 10 use

KCY3701
post Jul 7 2020, 04:45 PM

33 posts

QUOTE(chilskater @ Jul 7 2020, 02:27 PM)
thanks..i am about to take the plunge...now install Pop Os dual boot...i want to 100% install Pop Os and use Virtual Box or VMware for Windows 10 use
Is your HDD/SSD storage large enough? You can leave the Windows 10 as a backup OS, just in case if you mess something up. For example, I installed a custom kernel for my Linux but after reboot, cannot boot Linux at all. Luckily I still have Windows and boot that up instead to finish my work.
TSchilskater
post Jul 7 2020, 04:59 PM

Enthusiast
775 posts

QUOTE(KCY3701 @ Jul 7 2020, 05:45 PM)
Is your HDD/SSD storage large enough? You can leave the Windows 10 as a backup OS, just in case if you mess something up. For example, I installed a custom kernel for my Linux but after reboot, cannot boot Linux at all. Luckily I still have Windows and boot that up instead to finish my work.
I have 1 240GB SSD and 500GB HDD.. I gave linux only 50GB...download some games on Steam & already full... Hahhha
KCY3701
post Jul 7 2020, 05:53 PM

33 posts

QUOTE(chilskater @ Jul 7 2020, 04:59 PM)
I have 1 240GB SSD and 500GB HDD.. I gave linux only 50GB...download some games on Steam & already full... Hahhha
I gave Linux 250GB. Another 250GB for Windows.
TSchilskater
post Jul 7 2020, 06:06 PM

Enthusiast
775 posts

QUOTE(KCY3701 @ Jul 7 2020, 06:53 PM)
I gave Linux 250GB. Another 250GB for Windows.
Ya, like tht la i want to do now.. I try to resize to HDD but failed...
GameSky
post Jul 8 2020, 12:49 PM

Nyancat too much
6,043 posts

I'm using this build instead of lutri's wine
https://github.com/Kron4ek/Wine-Builds

Just copy into /home/[username]/.local/share/lutris/wine/
And inside game properties->runner and choose the build. Should performs much better.

Also for steam currently using ProtonGE .
For performance stats, use mangohud

My current setup is via 2 m2 ssd, 1 for windows, 1 for linux (mint flavour atm) .. and bootloader set on 2nd m2 ssd

This post has been edited by GameSky: Jul 8 2020, 12:50 PM
agamemnon70
post Jul 8 2020, 07:31 PM

6 posts

QUOTE(Two5Kid @ Jul 7 2020, 03:19 PM)
Thanks! This is a good summary. My research also led me to Lutris and hopefully, once I take this plunge, I would still be able to game like before. Though nowadays might just stick to some titles only and not downloading a new game every day. Worse comes to worst, just have to buy the game on Steam.
Lutris, good point, thanks for the heads up. I haven't tried it yet, but the other day i was trying to run some mods and cheats on Skyrim (no Linux native binaries), and Lutris seems to have somewhat good support for the Nexus mod managers. Better than Steam.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0188sec    0.94    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 11th July 2020 - 10:44 PM