post May 23 2022, 10:10 PM

On my way
543 posts

I think he meant plate mounted
horns
post Yesterday, 10:25 AM

\m/
3,025 posts

QUOTE(Cloud0890 @ May 23 2022, 08:46 PM)
Owl stabs is all hype no substance. Selling point is being touted as the solution to bent wires, said to be the cause of ticking, by using what they call "liquid metal" wire that reverts back into shape like a memory foam therefore never "bending". Except for when it comes out of the factory "bent" or "not straight", but because it always "reverts back into shape" it will always be "bent" and not fixable.

Cherry clip-in = OG Cherry, always good if you know what you are doing, need to clip legs, cheapest of them all i believe

C3 = Comes in a wide variety of colours to match your build, cheap, widely available, v3 comes with a lot of additional goodies to mod your stabs

Durock/Everglide/JWK = Better than C3 from my experience but more expensive, widely available, could benefit from additional modding (holee mod) but downside is mushiness if not done perfectly, ticking do come back in some cases (without holee mod) after some time

TX clip-in = Stem is made of double shot with TPU mixture (soft material) on the inside to minimise rattle, think of it like a holee mod but built in without the mushy feeling of holee mod, clip-in is easier to install, not as readily available as quite new and still hype so it sells out but I've seen it remain in stock for weeks after restock

Staebies = Tightest tolerance of all, probably the best stab to use without lube, it will be tick free even with just a little lube, due to it's extremely tight tolerance there are reports of cracked keycap stems (very rare) and incompatibility with warped keycaps, bent PCBs and long pole stem switches. Biggest downside is it's almost always never available since it's technically still in beta and is the most expensive.

My go-to right now is TX because it is the best imo among stabs i can actually get my hands on.
right, og cherry is ok. i still keep tuned stabilizers from gmk, kbdfans, and epbt in my existing builds. they work fine.

everglide v2 is not optimal at stock. it needs to be modded to be better. as for holee/epsi mods, i use 0.5mm eva foam with one-side adhesive found at taobao. i compress it manually before application (under heavy objects for a day or two) usually mushiness is minimal or none after that.

i usually get stabilizers that can be obtained easily. they can be fixed easily too. i don't subscribe to cock-teasing-like marketing, even though they are claimed to be the best of the best.
cruzzmz
post Yesterday, 11:10 AM

uh weeee !!!!
4,910 posts

QUOTE(Cloud0890 @ May 23 2022, 09:28 PM)
Only Cherry and TX are clip-ins, the rest are screw-ins, but they are all PCB mounted. I believe there are Cherry screw-ins too but I've never tried them. And for your information clip-ins doesn't necessarily mean worse, plenty of people still prefer clip-ins for its ease of use.
thanks
i think i saw a seller sell cherry screw in somewhere

but to get the clips in need to change the board right ... up until now i am using clip ons keebs whistling.gif

This post has been edited by cruzzmz: Yesterday, 11:24 AM
niakulah
post Yesterday, 11:36 AM

Senior Artisan
1,206 posts

QUOTE(cruzzmz @ May 24 2022, 11:10 AM)
thanks

but to get the clips in need to change the board right ... up until now i am using clip ons keebs  whistling.gif
As long as your PCB has the holes for stabs, they can accept both screw in and clip on type PCB mounted stabs.
niakulah
post Yesterday, 11:40 AM

Senior Artisan
1,206 posts

QUOTE(Cloud0890 @ May 23 2022, 08:46 PM)
Owl stabs is all hype no substance. Selling point is being touted as the solution to bent wires, said to be the cause of ticking, by using what they call "liquid metal" wire that reverts back into shape like a memory foam therefore never "bending". Except for when it comes out of the factory "bent" or "not straight", but because it always "reverts back into shape" it will always be "bent" and not fixable.

Cherry clip-in = OG Cherry, always good if you know what you are doing, need to clip legs, cheapest of them all i believe

C3 = Comes in a wide variety of colours to match your build, cheap, widely available, v3 comes with a lot of additional goodies to mod your stabs

Durock/Everglide/JWK = Better than C3 from my experience but more expensive, widely available, could benefit from additional modding (holee mod) but downside is mushiness if not done perfectly, ticking do come back in some cases (without holee mod) after some time

TX clip-in = Stem is made of double shot with TPU mixture (soft material) on the inside to minimise rattle, think of it like a holee mod but built in without the mushy feeling of holee mod, clip-in is easier to install, not as readily available as quite new and still hype so it sells out but I've seen it remain in stock for weeks after restock

Staebies = Tightest tolerance of all, probably the best stab to use without lube, it will be tick free even with just a little lube, due to it's extremely tight tolerance there are reports of cracked keycap stems (very rare) and incompatibility with warped keycaps, bent PCBs and long pole stem switches. Biggest downside is it's almost always never available since it's technically still in beta and is the most expensive.

My go-to right now is TX because it is the best imo among stabs i can actually get my hands on.
Nice summary. Just want to add a comment for my fave stabs, the Equalz C3. Their initial approach was similar to Staebies - Very tight tolerances to fix all noises and wire popping issues. To the point that there were issues with PBT spacebars and their V1s. I am daily driving their V2s and a few months ago I noticed 1 of the stems on my 2.75U KAT spacebar has cracked....

The current V3s hopefully solved this problem, I already have some for my next build.
horns
post Yesterday, 11:42 AM

\m/
3,025 posts

QUOTE(cruzzmz @ May 24 2022, 11:10 AM)
thanks
kbdfans still sells it.

i'm not sure about now, previously kbdfans included cherry screw-in stabilizers in their kits (it's like their stock stabilizers)

horns
post Yesterday, 01:27 PM

\m/
3,025 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ May 24 2022, 11:40 AM)
Nice summary. Just want to add a comment for my fave stabs, the Equalz C3. Their initial approach was similar to Staebies - Very tight tolerances to fix all noises and wire popping issues. To the point that there were issues with PBT spacebars and their V1s. I am daily driving their V2s and a few months ago I noticed 1 of the stems on my 2.75U KAT spacebar has cracked....

The current V3s hopefully solved this problem, I already have some for my next build.
this loosed/cracked stem issue by c3 and everglide v2 are real. some claimed that everglide v2 is more serious. it's like the case of initial versions of kailh box switches few years ago, but this time involves long key caps that're used with stabilizers only. the over-sized stem is the main reason why you can observe everglide v2 securing spacebar and modifier keys tightly. but, it might cause one of the following:
1. cracked key cap stems. if over-sized stem meets a keycap stem with even tighter tolerance, then boom;
2. loosed key cap stems. after using a keycap set with c3/everglide v2 stabs, it's possible that your space bar, and modifier key caps might have see-saw effects, when you put them in builds that use other stabilizers.

imo, the 'damages' really depend on individual cases. in my case,
1. i use mainly c3/everglide v2, the see-saw effects are none, so far; (i don't have cracked stems);
2. see-saw effects can still be fixed with a layer of soft plastics during key cap installation; (or, just use replacement)
3. if you really liked a particular keycap set, it's good to get an extra set for collection.

i haven't tried this, but i think the over-sized stems can be fixed with a cruciformer, a tool sold in a limited gb few years ago to fix kailh box with over-sized stems. (or, you can do this manually, at your own risks)

some might even treat this as one of the things to consider when they get used key cap sets. for this part, it's really up to your own justifications.

edit: until now, there is nothing perfect in this hobby. it's up to us to find ways to make them relatively better.

This post has been edited by horns: Yesterday, 02:46 PM
Moogle Stiltzkin
post Yesterday, 04:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,935 posts

Logitech’s new MX keyboard brings mechanical switches to the masses
https://www.engadget.com/logitech-mx-mechan...-070109417.html

Logitech has announced the MX Master 3S mouse and two wireless MX Mechanical keyboards. The mouse is the update to the uberpopular MX Master 3, while the MX Mechanical keyboards are totally new products that promise to leverage Logitech’s expertise in gaming keyboards.

The MX Mechanical keyboard comes in a full size and a compact 75% variant known as the MX Mechanical Mini. Both look to combine the strengths of mechanical keyboards with the productivity-focused features of the company’s MX Keys membrane keyboard.

Mechanical keyboards have been a growing trend over the past few years, evolving beyond their roots in PC gaming and DIY keyboard modding cultures. But their arrival in Logitech’s MX line of peripherals feels like a watershed moment for the trend.

“There is a growing community of software developers who fell in love with mechanical keyboards when they started playing games, and now they want the same feeling of precision and control with their professional desktop keyboard,” said Tolya Polyanker, head of creativity and productivity for the MX Series at Logitech. “MX Mechanical combines the best of both — Logitech’s gaming keyboard expertise with MX Master Series signature experiences.”

Both the MX Mechanical and Mechanical Mini feature 19mm low-profile “Tactile Quiet (brown)” switches that Logitech says make them the company’s quietest mechanical keyboard ever. However, for those who prefer clicky (blue) or linear (red) switches, those will be offered in select markets.

Environmentally, the MX Master 3 is made from post-consumer recycled (PCR) plastic (27% for the graphite model and 22% for the gray). Other features are the same as the Master 3, such as Logi Bolt, which allows connectivity to up to three different devices.

Pricing for the MX Master 3S is $99, same as the MX Master 3. The MX Mechanical will go for $170 while the Mini will go for $150. All three devices will be available this month.

Given Logitech’s past success with its productivity-focused MX Master series, the MX Master 3S will likely continue that trend of producing the best mice. The MX Mechanical series will also likely please many who prefer the feel of a mechanical keyboard.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/log...d-mx-master-3s/

seems like a mkb u can use in the office without attracting attention as a gamers mkb hmm.gif

This post has been edited by Moogle Stiltzkin: Yesterday, 09:25 PM
Moogle Stiltzkin
post Yesterday, 04:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,935 posts

on shopee i spotted a mkb for only Rm60 ohmy.gif

Mechanical Keyboard Gaming 87 Key Machanical Keyboard TKL Tenkeyless Ergonomic RGB For Laptop Computer PC K550
user posted image

is that the cheapest available mkb? confused.gif seems to be a noisy clicky switch, but at that price i don't mind as long as u don't require ur mkb to be silent e.g. office setting

in comparison a gaming rubberdome keyboard roughly around RM14.90 So you telling me u can't bump up ur budget to get a mkb over rubberdome at this price point gap? come on sweat.gif Topres are lovely (tried before, no issues with them), but i can't imagine sticking to the old rubber dome now that mkbs are so cheap these days smile.gif

This post has been edited by Moogle Stiltzkin: Yesterday, 04:30 PM
cruzzmz
post Yesterday, 04:56 PM

uh weeee !!!!
4,910 posts

QUOTE(Moogle Stiltzkin @ May 24 2022, 04:08 PM)
on shopee i spotted a mkb for only Rm60 ohmy.gif

Mechanical Keyboard Gaming 87 Key Machanical Keyboard TKL Tenkeyless Ergonomic RGB For Laptop Computer PC K550
user posted image

is that the cheapest available mkb?  confused.gif  seems to be a noisy clicky switch, but at that price i don't mind as long as u don't require ur mkb to be silent e.g. office setting
in comparison a gaming rubberdome keyboard roughly around RM14.90 So you telling me u can't bump up ur budget to get a mkb over rubberdome at this price point gap? come on  sweat.gif Topres are lovely (tried before, no issues with them), but i can't imagine sticking to the old rubber dome now that mkbs are so cheap these days  smile.gif
you can try this for testing how mkb feels like
but once you have tried the mods than it is a diff story ... as for me diff switches make me love the keebs more. Call it a hobby and you will spend a lot on it hahaha sweat.gif

and later i will venture to Q1 .. maybe a bit late but worth it whistling.gif planning some mod also ontop and gonna try my nasi lemak switch also on it ... whistling.gif

This post has been edited by cruzzmz: Yesterday, 05:01 PM
niakulah
post Yesterday, 05:16 PM

Senior Artisan
1,206 posts

QUOTE(cruzzmz @ May 24 2022, 04:56 PM)
but once you have tried the mods than it is a diff story ... as for me diff switches make me love the keebs more. Call it a hobby and you will spend a lot on it hahaha  sweat.gif

and later i will venture to Q1 .. maybe a bit late but worth it  whistling.gif planning some mod also ontop and gonna try my nasi lemak switch also on it ...  whistling.gif
Bro, he started the very first MKB thread.

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1610986

This post has been edited by niakulah: Yesterday, 05:55 PM
horns
post Yesterday, 06:15 PM

\m/
3,025 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ May 24 2022, 05:16 PM)
Bro, he started the very first MKB thread.

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1610986
.. and he's the guy that proposed the moogle kit, https://deskthority.net/wiki/Adapter_kit biggrin.gif

horns
post Yesterday, 07:55 PM

\m/
3,025 posts

QUOTE(Moogle Stiltzkin @ May 24 2022, 04:05 PM)
Logitech’s new MX keyboard brings mechanical switches to the masses
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/log...d-mx-master-3s/
i really hope the day that we can get pcbs with layouts that we want, stabilizers, key caps, etc. for low-profile switches from different brands will come sooner.

Moogle Stiltzkin
post Yesterday, 09:29 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,935 posts

QUOTE(cruzzmz @ May 24 2022, 04:56 PM)
but once you have tried the mods than it is a diff story ... as for me diff switches make me love the keebs more. Call it a hobby and you will spend a lot on it hahaha  sweat.gif

and later i will venture to Q1 .. maybe a bit late but worth it  whistling.gif planning some mod also ontop and gonna try my nasi lemak switch also on it ...  whistling.gif
honestly i spent too much when i started out.

but now... got so many good bargains out there for mkb shocking.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0267sec    0.22    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 25th May 2022 - 06:25 AM