views

TSkurosaki0103
post Jun 14 2020, 11:17 AM, updated 4y ago

Getting Started
110 posts

Hi everyone,

I'm needing a bike advice for

1. Monthly 500km/5 hour highway trip
2. Daily 40km highway work commute (x2 morning and afternoon)

Tbf its probably not gonna be used that often but these are what I'm planning to use it for

My budget is around 15k, +1k for gear(enough?)
Hopefully can get a box for ~500

As I understand the maintenance are all roughly the same
Which one do you think is the best for my use and budget?
For reference I'm familiar with fz150 but i remember it wasn't very pleasant for a 2 hour 200km trip (felt like I had to full throttle to keep up with the traffic)

Does abs makes a lot of difference in 250cc bikes?
Do you feel unsafe in er6?
Is r25 comfortable enough for long trips?

Edited to add modenas elegan 250 as well
Seems to be a good price but don't know if maintenance cost is comparable to other bikes here or significantly more??

Thanks!

This post has been edited by kurosaki0103: Jun 14 2020, 04:43 PM
Dreadlock13
post Jun 14 2020, 12:04 PM

Casual
480 posts

ABS is safety. so if you can afford it do invest in it,

from what you pick above, they all a good bike,

so in the end its come down to your preference,
go to the showroom and sat on the bike and see how you feel,

if you want speed, z250 and r25 is the top choice,
if im not mistaken Dominar achievable speed is at 140km ish,
you need B full for er6 tho

hope its help,
ThE DaReDeViL
post Jun 14 2020, 01:23 PM

2 posts

ER6
- Best seating position
- Best power (especially useful for highway 155kmh = 7k rpm)

Z250
- Easier to "cilok" between traffic jam
- Better torque for 250
- ABS included for new model

R25
- Gives more sporty feel due to lower seating position and higher rev
- Higher HP for 250

*Opinion given is based on my opinion these 3 bikes ya* I tried these 3 and I end up buying er6 coz my daily ride is 100km/day mostly highway, and I like to travel far up north.. Hehe.. At the end, it's all up to your priority on functionality.. Best to go for test ride and decide yourself...

This post has been edited by ThE DaReDeViL: Jun 14 2020, 01:33 PM
SUSskyblu3
post Jun 14 2020, 04:54 PM

Getting Started
157 posts

QUOTE(kurosaki0103 @ Jun 14 2020, 11:17 AM)
Hi everyone,

Tbf its probably not gonna be used that often but these are what I'm planning to use it for

My budget is around 15k, +1k for gear(enough?)
Hopefully can get a box for ~500
As I understand the maintenance are all roughly the same
Which one do you think is the best for my use and budget?
For reference I'm familiar with fz150 but i remember it wasn't very pleasant for a 2 hour 200km trip (felt like I had to full throttle to keep up with the traffic)

Does abs makes a lot of difference in 250cc bikes?
Do you feel unsafe in er6?
Is r25 comfortable enough for long trips?
Edited to add modenas elegan 250 as well
Seems to be a good price but don't know if maintenance cost is comparable to other bikes here or significantly more??

Thanks!
Inb4 some bikers advise you which bike to get based on top speed.
TSkurosaki0103
post Jun 14 2020, 05:05 PM

Getting Started
110 posts

QUOTE(skyblu3 @ Jun 14 2020, 04:54 PM)
Haha a good comfortable cruising speed is a plus

As long as faster than the average traffic pun ok. I feel unsafe driving/riding slow, feels like putting your life at the mercy of other road users (you know someone might bang you).

So for me speed is more so I feel in control rather than for adrenaline haha
ThE DaReDeViL
post Jun 14 2020, 05:50 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(skyblu3 @ Jun 14 2020, 04:54 PM)
The point of which bike is faster is a never ending stories.. There's different bike for different needs of everybody.. Just make sure the bike suits user criteria is enough.. Just as if getting a ZX10r to go past buy vege... mega_shok.gif
mADmAN
post Jun 15 2020, 02:24 AM

10k Club
All Stars
10,515 posts

no replacement for displacement.

so ER6. works well for all ur needs. especially the 5 hour highway ride. and if i remember correctly, fuel consumption is pretty good as well on long rides.

only slightly more expensive when it comes to the roadtax/ insurance, bigger tires and chain/sprocket.

i used to own a z250 and did long highway runs every now n then. though bearable, upgrading to a bigger bike made those highway runs much easier and less exhausting.....n more fun.

another option considering ur long rides, Versys 650... better wind protection, more comfortable for long distance and can probably get a bike with all the boxes installed within ur budget.

dont worry about the morning commute.. ull get used to it and probably learn some tricks along the way
alexei
post Jun 15 2020, 09:59 AM

Biker Mice from Mars
1,709 posts

On your gear budget, what you plan to get? Jacket, pants, gloves, boots, helmet? Rain gear? Protection? Genuine or Shopee?

This post has been edited by alexei: Jun 25 2020, 03:07 PM
e-lite
post Jun 15 2020, 12:51 PM

On my way
665 posts

If you always ride in the rain / road has some sand (every rider almost died before because the road sandy smile.gif ), then ABS is important.

I would say go sit sit and try it out at the shop first. Seating position and motorcycle weight more important for me. A small sized person cannot pick up ER6 because it's heavy. But my friend who is 120kg and 5'11", will feel like a giant on a Z250.

This post has been edited by e-lite: Jun 16 2020, 10:56 AM
TSkurosaki0103
post Jun 15 2020, 05:52 PM

Getting Started
110 posts

QUOTE(alexei @ Jun 15 2020, 09:59 AM)
ER6 CBU with bags. (120kmh @ 5.6k RPM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

On your gear budget, what you plan to get? Jacket, pants, gloves, boots, helmet? Rain gear? Protection? Genuine or Shopee?
This is another big topic haha.

With 1k I plan to

1. Flip full face helmet try in shop - had bad fitting helmet before which was a waste of money
2. Ideally a perforated leather jacket. Will it be hot? I plan to buy used or just online from China lol. I might just perforate them myself as I've got a leather punch but not sure if this is advisable. Any suggestions on where to get this cheap and good?
3. Those two are my main concern, next will be gloves then trousers, not sure if boots are necessary? Since from my bike list you can see im more of a chill biker haha. My work shoes would do I think (leather shoes). If I can't get quality gloves I'll just used Mr DIY riding gloves first. Any savings from the bike will go here, but I really want quality helmet and jacket.

What is the minimum fair budget you think is right?
TSkurosaki0103
post Jun 15 2020, 06:09 PM

Getting Started
110 posts

QUOTE(e-lite @ Jun 15 2020, 12:51 PM)
If you always ride in the rain / road has some sand (every rider almost died before because the road sandy smile.gif ), then ABS is important.

I would say go sit sit and try it out at the shop first. Seating position and motorcycle weight more important for me. As I am short and small sized, I would never pick ER6 because too heavy for me. But my friend who is 120kg and 5'11", will feel like a giant on a Z250.
Yah the more I think about it the more I find abs to be important haha
But I wonder why people are not voting for Dominar 😅

I might go and ask for a test ride of Dominar (and whilst I'm there probably elegan as well) this weekend. Hopefully I'm happy enough with the power and vibration 😬

Got no bfull license so I doubt they will let me test drive too far so everyone please still share your thoughts haha
mADmAN
post Jun 15 2020, 09:25 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,515 posts

QUOTE(kurosaki0103 @ Jun 15 2020, 05:52 PM)

With 1k I plan to

1. Flip full face helmet try in shop - had bad fitting helmet before which was a waste of money
2. Ideally a perforated leather jacket. Will it be hot? I plan to buy used or just online from China lol. I might just perforate them myself as I've got a leather punch but not sure if this is advisable. Any suggestions on where to get this cheap and good?
3. Those two are my main concern, next will be gloves then trousers, not sure if boots are necessary? Since from my bike list you can see im more of a chill biker haha. My work shoes would do I think (leather shoes). If I can't get quality gloves I'll just used Mr DIY riding gloves first. Any savings from the bike will go here, but I really want quality helmet and jacket.

1/ yes u should test... flip up is a good idea...but considering ur 1k budget, expect cheap helmets...as cheap as the x-dot flip up (which i think is quite bang for buck)...otherwise the laser MH5 flip up is around 500 iinm.

2/ yes it will be hot.. and it will be expensive. would not recommend buying from china and DIY either. a mesh jacket would be sufficient since u said u chill rider. a decent original jacket can cost u around RM300-400. those Alpinestars fakies around 180. alternatively u can go pertama complex and checkout the custom jackets there. just not sure if they are real leather or not but i still wouldnt recommend leather mainly due to the heat. heatstroke and dehydration will be an issue unless ur able to tolerate the heat... but since u asked about heat.. i have doubts u can hahahah

3/ gloves can get RM200 or below...even lower depending on sales. bike quest is having a sale on some leather shorty gloves for RM100...i think Clover brand. limited size available though.. and only red color available.
i personally think boots are more important than trousers.... as trousers i feel mainly protects u from a slide but boots will reduce the risk of ur ankles turning the wrong way. u can get original boots for around 2-300 depending on sales (like one of the Forma boots from LSH). unfortunately riding pants are expensive. even fakie riding jeans are expensive.

i would concentrate on helmet, jacket and gloves first (as most people do).
Dreadlock13
post Jun 15 2020, 09:58 PM

Casual
480 posts

QUOTE(kurosaki0103 @ Jun 15 2020, 06:09 PM)

I might go and ask for a test ride of Dominar (and whilst I'm there probably elegan as well) this weekend. Hopefully I'm happy enough with the power and vibration 😬

Well dominar still need a b full license tho.

The reason why no one vote for dominar is because the competition is a crowd favourite.

2 piston vs a single. Pretty hard to match.

How about look at KTM duke 390. A powerful single and less vibrations.
RalphRatedR
post Jun 16 2020, 08:41 AM

Getting Started
267 posts

Ninja 300 got both ABS & slipper clutch. And afaik newer Ninja 250 (2018 onwards I think) is the only 250cc twin sportbike to have both ABS & slipper clutch.

I won't bother considering R25 at all after nearly crashed one (why Hong Leong so stingy to bring ABS model).

This post has been edited by RalphRatedR: Jun 16 2020, 08:46 AM
mdziaf
post Jun 16 2020, 09:10 AM

Getting Started
78 posts

QUOTE(RalphRatedR @ Jun 16 2020, 08:41 AM)
Ninja 300 got both ABS & slipper clutch. And afaik newer Ninja 250 (2018 onwards I think) is the only 250cc twin sportbike to have both ABS & slipper clutch.
But Ninja 250 is about 24k no? Would be outside TS range..

QUOTE(kurosaki0103 @ Jun 15 2020, 06:09 PM)

Got no bfull license so I doubt they will let me test drive too far so everyone please still share your thoughts haha
Dominar in Malaysia currently is the old model compared to Indian's. Expecting to get this new model some time this year. But that depends if covid pushed back things or not. So that could be why it's low on the voting list.

If you are looking at the range between 250 and 500 cc bikes, there's not a lot of options.. A used BMW g310r is slightly above the price range that you mentioned (18k) but at that price the Chinese zontes bikes pack more features compared to the g310r and the reviews are good.

But all these kena lesen b full.. So get that sorted out soon..
eqmal197
post Jun 16 2020, 10:17 AM

Getting Started
110 posts

hello

I'm Dominar rider. Since there's no review here, let me tell you my experience. then you can make decision either you want to go other model or not.

why i pick :
- price. cheaper than japanese 250
- ergonomics. sit on it feel nice
- abs is standard
- come with good basic accessories. rear hugger, tank pad and crash slider (like police bike)

after 6 month ownership, this is what i like :
- fit my riding style. good accelerate with nice comfort speed at 120 km per hour
- good fuel consumption. travel to work 40 km daily with 10 litre petrol for a week. (full tank 13. reserve 3 litre). got around 270 km before indicator start blinking
- good ergonomic means good comfort. never feel exhausted even after long ride
- nimble although heavy (184 kg). even MT 09 heavier than this
- super accelerate. 0 to 100 at 7 second. 373 cc single cylinder at size of adult fist piston combo with 3 spark plug. yeah. grenade level combustion. haha

and what i didn't like :
- vibration. normal for single cylinder
- because of vibration, need to check all screw if got loosen after long time period. tighten it back
- acceleration good but top speed not good. got some friend from Dominar says top max 164 km. almost same as Duke 390
- handle bar really wide so you would stuck between cars in traffic jam
- long wheel base with short turning radius. a bit difficulties on small parking area

something to take note :
- common Dominar problem is 2 thing that went kaput after more than 1 year is front absorber which is prone to leak and crash slider broke (screw patah dalam)
- nowadays more accessories available. i get my self a Givi box with Givi designed rack and windshield. my next item is newly design crash slider as I'm afraid standard one will break one day
- servicing cost ok. mine have done 2 service. 2 bottle 20w50 Bajaj engine oil plus oil filter cost RM 110 belum tolak coupon
- Dominar using KTM Duke 390 engine so parts easily get

some got asked if Duke and Dominar used same engine, why Dominar HP lower and slower. Here's why :
- Dominar is detuned engine build for comfort. it more to touring style bike. same piston same rod same crank but different head. Dominar 35 HP is SOHC with 3 digital spark (ignite in order for fuel efficiency, not 3 ignite at once) while Duke 40 HP is DOHC 1 spark
- Dominar is heavy 184 kg. Duke is lighter 140 kg as it use Trellis chassis
- Because of light body, Duke is really wild bike. Handle with care
- And because of engine power (high compression type), Duke can only use specific engine oil (Motorex and another one that i can't remember)

Lastly, choice is yours. Peace

This post has been edited by eqmal197: Jun 16 2020, 10:25 AM
alexei
post Jun 16 2020, 10:40 AM

Biker Mice from Mars
1,709 posts

QUOTE(kurosaki0103 @ Jun 15 2020, 05:52 PM)

With 1k I plan to

I like perforated leather. Good under hot sun and you won't feel its heat reaching your skin like fabric and mesh.
But, leather is heavy, needs care and should avoid getting wet. What leather punch you have? Can show show?

If you're a chill rider, definitely should consider the cruising speed for each of the bikes.
D400, if using Duke 390 gearing, at 120kmh revs at 7k RPM. That bike most likely not comfortable at highway speed.

1k for gear is a bit stretch, so need to shop around. Maybe you'll get a helmet and jacket, and then plan for more later.
Used items with plastics or glue are not advisable, as from experience they're not worth it in the long run. Please don't buy China safety gears and expect a lot.

Helmet rating important to you? 3~400 kua. Work shoes may not have ankle protection? Similarly, short gloves vs gauntlets. These are some choices that you can consider.
RalphRatedR
post Jun 17 2020, 02:17 AM

Getting Started
267 posts

QUOTE(mdziaf @ Jun 16 2020, 09:10 AM)
But Ninja 250 is about 24k no? Would be outside TS range..
There's 2nd hand options if TS is patient enough.
ZZR-Pilot
post Jun 17 2020, 02:55 AM

Regular
1,049 posts

QUOTE(kurosaki0103 @ Jun 14 2020, 12:17 PM)
Hi everyone,

If every month you're going to rack up 200km x 4 plus another 500km, you're going to hit the 5000km oil change interval roughly every 4 months. Which also means new tyres just about every year, new sprockets and chains every 2 years. Don't forget the cost of changing the air filter, fuel filter. Insurance.

Well you know the drill.

If you want to go second-hand, the maintenance costs go up. Depending on the mileage and condition, you'll be looking at all the above plus new battery, shock absorber & a valve clearance job maybe within 2 years.

Now... which of these bikes allow you to absorb these costs without racking up a giant debt on your credit card?

That's where your bike search should start.
leon898
post Jun 17 2020, 08:44 AM

Enthusiast
733 posts

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
I am putting my vote towards ER6N....reliable engine, better suited towards 500km trip

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0383sec    0.67    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:03 PM