Check PSU fan running or not?
alexei
post Jun 28 2020, 02:20 AM

Biker Mice from Mars
1,709 posts

QUOTE(Genexil @ Jun 26 2020, 10:53 PM)
Here it is, freshly uploaded:
https://youtu.be/qC3_7jDnshY
you said hot to touch. Please elaborate where is hot?
alexei
post Jun 28 2020, 12:27 PM

Biker Mice from Mars
1,709 posts

QUOTE(Genexil @ Jun 28 2020, 08:13 AM)
Around the mobo area. It gets awfully warm.

Btw, does the psu sound like the usual coil whine?

Right about 3s, you pressed the power button. Then the immediate background noise? Sound like fan or maybe coil whine. Then, followed by spinning up fan.
Around mobo area warm means something may need improvement for ventilation.
- Can you feel the back of PSU during operation, to see if warm air is coming out smoothly?
- What are the fan config of your casing?
- Can you try change SSD cable? Resocket the RAM and GPU as well?
alexei
post Jun 28 2020, 04:34 PM

Biker Mice from Mars
1,709 posts

QUOTE(Genexil @ Jun 28 2020, 01:37 PM)
-Yeah air is coming out of the psu but not much.
-I have 2 fans in front, one in the rear.
-The ssd is pcie nvme, so cannot change cable. Did resit the ram and gpu, still the same problem.

I disabled secondary boot option, leaving only the nvme ssd as the primary boot option. Now it won’t even boot into windows. Tried booting through usb, startup repair and command prompt went straight to black screen.

I am seriously considering to replace the motherboard 🤬
Front fan is intake, and 1 rear exhaust fan, and that area still warm???
How about the GPU fan, is it working properly during gaming?
Weird, seems like it needs the Seagate to boot? What is the boot sequence that works?
What if the Seagate has something wrong with it?
alexei
post Jun 28 2020, 06:33 PM

Biker Mice from Mars
1,709 posts

QUOTE(Genexil @ Jun 28 2020, 05:49 PM)
GPU fan is spinning well during gaming, reaching 80c while gaming.
That's a good question, now in bios trying to switch boot option, but now the seagate hdd is not detected.

Edit: I disabled the hdd in hard drive priorities earlier, and now the hdd is visible after enabling it. I set ssd as boot option 1 and hdd as boot option 2, and now stuck at please wait screen. My plan now is to unplug the hdd cable and fresh install windows on the ssd using usb, then reformat the hdd. So I did just that, but when I tried to boot from usb it just stays in the asrock screen.
Suspect your system was setup with boot partition on the seagate but OS installed in the SSD. System won't boot without either one. Maybe the seagate is about dying, so causing system to crash.

The GPU is too hot, suggest you try custom fan speed or configure the 3 chassis fan to exhaust/intake to improve the situation.

For the USB boot, see if there's some UEFI option to toggle.
alexei
post Jun 29 2020, 08:55 AM

Biker Mice from Mars
1,709 posts

QUOTE(Genexil @ Jun 29 2020, 08:30 AM)
Yeah that might be the case, coz it wouldn’t boot with just the ssd selected. Strange

I hear that 80c during gaming is normal so that’s why I didn’t bother with it 😜 I will change the fan speed once i get the pc up and running again.

Yeah, i have been trying to boot the usb thru uefi, but windows 10 just wouldn’t load, its stuck at the asrock screen.
The seagate hdd is mainly my storage for media and projects. After switching to wd black and reinstalling windows, there was a new recovery partition about 500mb. Not sure where its stored tho. Yeah i have just tried to reinstall windows with the hdd unplugged, but the pc just wouldn’t boot from the bootable usb. And yes, the usb works just fine.
I hope you can sort out the USB booting, try disable UEFI USB booting option and see.
Or, plug in the HDD and boot from USB. I know it sounds odd, but seems like some trial and error is needed to figure out what works.
alexei
post Jun 30 2020, 10:06 AM

Biker Mice from Mars
1,709 posts

QUOTE(Genexil @ Jun 30 2020, 09:43 AM)
Tried it, doesn't work. Went straight to the same blue screen. It did boot into windows when i unplugged the hdd, but after about 2 mins it restarted itself. Then it went to "Please Wait" and stayed there.

I opened up my case and found liquid stains at the back of the mobo, is something melting?

user posted image
How about booting from USB without HDD and the NVME SSD?
What if the SSD is dying?

The stain seems like oil to me. Can't tell what it might be. I would suggest to wipe it off, and monitor again after some time?
alexei
post Jun 30 2020, 12:47 PM

Biker Mice from Mars
1,709 posts

QUOTE(Genexil @ Jun 30 2020, 11:24 AM)
Unlikely a dying ssd, I just installed a new one  hmm.gif 

Just googled it, seems to be from the thermal pads under the vrm heatsink, nothing to be worried about. Probably due to overheating.

Anyway, I have already ordered a new x570 motherboard and psu, as well as extra fans. Can't spend more time troubleshooting it as I need it for work urgently. I was actually planning to upgrade somewhere next year. Guess I have to move it up.  sweat.gif
Alright. Too bad we couldn't figure it out.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0183sec    0.28    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:28 PM