Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

DIY 2 set speaker in one system

views

TSallengancl
post Jun 7 2020, 11:07 AM, updated 4y ago

3 posts

Hello All. I have get a logitech Z625 for my PS4 Pro connected with the Optical port but the Mid and High is very muddy. The bass is extremely good. I am thinking to get another 2.0 bookshelf speaker connect to my monitor 3.5mm jack to compensate the poor performance mid and high from threZ625.

Do you guys have any experience on it? Can the sound improve or the sound will get noisy because 2 set of speaker system run on simultaneously
jemmi
post Jun 7 2020, 11:19 AM

Casual
485 posts

Try using DAC in between.
TSallengancl
post Jun 7 2020, 11:53 AM

3 posts

QUOTE(jemmi @ Jun 7 2020, 11:19 AM)
Try using DAC in between.
I have both optical and 3.5mm jack output. Not really need the DAC. Tks by the way

This post has been edited by allengancl: Jun 7 2020, 11:53 AM
edmund_yung
post Jun 7 2020, 03:01 PM

Regular
1,194 posts

The reason DAC is mentioned is because the DAC from your monitor may not be good and will waste a good bookshelf speaker.

Or you can experiment with optical to a monitor speaker with sub out, which connect to you Z625. I'm not sure if it is worth doing that.
jemmi
post Jun 7 2020, 03:10 PM

Casual
485 posts

DAC solved most of sound card & sound signal problem. Even small USB DAC sometimes settled most of sound problem, last time I had unnatural/uneven sound from optical cable, test my friend DAC settled the problem, now invest good DAC improved sound for my Soundworks speaker. My DAC also had amp to drive all my headphone & earphone. Only my momentum wireless had small benefit with the DAC coz the DAC inside momentum hp already very good.
power911
post Jun 7 2020, 03:37 PM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

I don't think you can separate Z625 sub w satellite.
Running 2 fullrange simultaneously with bookshelf 2.0 will cause phasing and crosstalk issues.
Plus most devices won't support running 2 outputs like in your case optical and monitor headphone out. It'll only output one output.

You can fix this with a 3.5mm headphone splitter but that isn't ideal with volume control.

DAC is recommended here mostly for clean audio reproduction. You can try using Logitech Z625 with 3.5mm out from monitor to see if there's any improvements before buying a DAC since your main use is for PS4 only.
IIRC Logitech Z625 optical isn't very good sounding the last time I tried with LG smart tv. I tried the TV headphone out using HDMI audio and it sounds much tighter without breaking trebles.

How about repositioning your sattelites? Position somewhere higher or near ear level further away from wall? Subwoofer put further away from wall too to prevent loud midbass from mudding your audio? Or maybe room is causing muddy sound from overwhelming midbass? I did fix a muddy vocal issue by positioning my table in the middle of a living room instead of a clean corner and it helps.

Maybe lower down subwoofer and try to adapt to the "less-bass" sound signature for clarity? It's a free upgrade if you end up getting used to less bass

If all fails...
I suggest you keep/sell the Z625 for something else and purchase appropriate speaker + sub for your setup.
I would buy a large 2.0 set to begin then slowly add sub in the future when money allows. Maybe a pair of towers + amp with optical in rather than bookshelves? I'm just assuming your PS4 setup is for TV use if you're going towers. Ignore if for close range PC distance gaming

For all you know you don't even need subwoofer anymore because the 2.0 is good sounding enough
ktek
post Jun 7 2020, 05:49 PM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,545 posts

ps4 can output two sound device at same time meh?
ktek
post Jun 7 2020, 05:51 PM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,545 posts

QUOTE(jemmi @ Jun 7 2020, 03:10 PM)
DAC solved most of sound card & sound signal problem. Even small USB DAC sometimes settled most of sound problem, last time I had unnatural/uneven sound from optical cable, test my friend DAC settled the problem, now invest good DAC improved sound for my Soundworks speaker. My DAC also had amp to drive all my headphone & earphone. Only my momentum wireless had small benefit with the DAC coz the DAC inside momentum hp already very good.
still have to go thru optical port rite. this is ps4 not computer
dayojah
post Jun 7 2020, 06:42 PM

Regular
1,268 posts

Using two outputs can get horrible delay problems. I just connected my TV to my Yamaha amplifier using Toslink and found that the delay between that and the TV speakers means that I have to mute the TV completely. Before I was using the headphone output and there was no noticeable delay
jemmi
post Jun 7 2020, 10:34 PM

Casual
485 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Jun 7 2020, 05:51 PM)
still have to go thru optical port rite. this is ps4 not computer
I'm using PS3 for bluray & cd/dvd, PS3/4 had 3 output for audio digital signal from optical, usb & hdmi. All could be as source for DAC, most DAC support usb & optical, different DAC had different input/output. Like my chord mojo auto detect from optical/usb/hdmi/analog.

Anyway, I prefer using my Senn Momentum to my PS3 with Bluetooth connection. I also using Bluetooth connection from PS3 to my Wireless speaker. PS4 also could connect with Bluetooth via usb or at controller.

This post has been edited by jemmi: Jun 7 2020, 10:44 PM
dayojah
post Jun 7 2020, 11:05 PM

Regular
1,268 posts

Is the PS3/4 Bluetooth audio using the lossy SBC or the original aptX CODECs? If so ouptical or hdmi should give better quality
TSallengancl
post Jun 8 2020, 01:21 AM

3 posts

Thank you all the sifu here. Seems like using the DAC is the best choice. Any DAC recomend?

The Logitech z625 is not gonna split with the satellite.
The satellite is the control for the sub.
The z625 did not have the tweeter.
Hope can sell the Z625

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0128sec    0.23    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:02 AM