Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Q and A how to migrate Win 10 from HDD to new SSD, without needing to reinstall Win 10

views

TSZaryl
post Jun 14 2020, 07:50 PM

Hardcore Casual Gamer
1,523 posts

Windows 10 Home original from Microsoft malaysia website is RM919 worrr sweat.gif cry.gif

yes, most of the programs that took a lot of space are my Photos (nearly 600GB), Videos (100GB) and other programs like Microsoft office 365 & etc.

I use Autocad 2007.

so i guess if i don't want to spend nearly RM1k for a new Win 10 key, i have to invest in a new 2TB or so external HDD, copy everything inside there & after that, can do system cloning after reducing disk usage to < 120 GB.
quite the long hard route eh? mega_shok.gif rclxub.gif

and my next project to do the same but on my old 2011 hp envy 17" laptop. 1TB HDD transfer to smaller SSD.
managed to find the drive caddy & SATA cable on shopee (order from china).

the reason i bought 120GB is to want to learn on how to do system cloning from large HDD to small SSD on my 2015 dell xps 8700 desktop.
guess experience is the best teacher. icon_rolleyes.gif

appreciate your feedback guys. thumbsup.gif

This post has been edited by Zaryl: Jun 14 2020, 07:50 PM
kyogre
post Jun 14 2020, 07:53 PM

Getting Started
217 posts

QUOTE(Zaryl @ Jun 14 2020, 07:50 PM)
Windows 10 Home original from Microsoft malaysia website is RM919 worrr  sweat.gif  cry.gif

yes, most of the programs that took a lot of space are my Photos (nearly 600GB), Videos (100GB) and other programs like Microsoft office 365 & etc.

I use Autocad 2007.

so i guess if i don't want to spend nearly RM1k for a new Win 10 key, i have to invest in a new 2TB or so external HDD, copy everything inside there & after that, can do system cloning after reducing disk usage to < 120 GB.
quite the long hard route eh?  mega_shok.gif  rclxub.gif

and my next project to do the same but on my old 2011 hp envy 17" laptop. 1TB HDD transfer to smaller SSD.
managed to find the drive caddy & SATA cable on shopee (order from china).

the reason i bought 120GB is to want to learn on how to do system cloning from large HDD to small SSD on my 2015 dell xps 8700 desktop.
guess experience is the best teacher.  icon_rolleyes.gif
appreciate your feedback guys.  thumbsup.gif
err u dont need to buy the key if u have one already, even to install. the installation tool is free on windows website
TSZaryl
post Jun 14 2020, 08:30 PM

Hardcore Casual Gamer
1,523 posts

QUOTE(kyogre @ Jun 14 2020, 07:53 PM)
err u dont need to buy the key if u have one already, even to install. the installation tool is free on windows website
But i thought windows 10 is tied to Mobo & desktop that we bought?

FYI, my old 2015 dell xps 8700 desktop was initially on windows 8.0. Then later upgrade to 8.1. Then got the free upgrade to windows 10 on 2017.

DEz012
post Jun 14 2020, 08:46 PM

On my way
569 posts

QUOTE(Zaryl @ Jun 14 2020, 07:25 PM)
Ok if i want to do a fresh install, i would have to buy a NEW windows 10 key right? or i could use the existing windows 10 key via "key transfer to another system"?
No need new windows 10 key, when installation asking for key do not input key left blank and just install it. After done, just connect online the windows will authenticate itself.

The keys are tied to the motherboard unless you change it.

I'm currently using 120gb SSD already used +50gb, just only install a few programs small size program without any extra data on My Document folder. You might want to get bigger size.

If possible install those software on 1tb HDD and use the SSD for Windows only. So in the future if windows corrupted or SSD spoil no need to reinstall the software, this method will work for PC Games and Steam, Origin.

Just made sure the C: drive is not too bloated with software and data. As SSD wont load fast and it will shorten the life span if u fit 90% data in it.

You might want to get the SSD with D-Ram cache like Crucial MX 500 since u are using the PC everyday.

If you are using the PC like once or twice a week, the A400 will work fine with Windows as I'm using 120gb A400 on one my PC since 2018 and Sandisk SSD plus since 2016 as long your processor is not old Dual core spec will bottleneck.
TSZaryl
post Jun 14 2020, 09:06 PM

Hardcore Casual Gamer
1,523 posts

QUOTE(DEz012 @ Jun 14 2020, 08:46 PM)
No need new windows 10 key, when installation asking for key do not input key left blank and just install it. After done, just connect online the windows will authenticate itself.

I'm currently using 120gb SSD already used +50gb, just only install a few programs small size program without any extra data on My Document folder. You might want to get bigger size.

If possible install those software on 1tb HDD and use the SSD for Windows only. So in the future if windows corrupted or SSD spoil no need to reinstall the software, this method will work for PC Games and Steam, Origin.

Just made sure the C: drive is not too bloated with software and data. As SSD wont load fast and it will shorten the life span if u fit 90% data in it.

You might want to get the SSD with D-Ram cache like Crucial MX 500 since u are using the PC everyday.

If you are using the PC like once or twice a week, the A400 will work fine with Windows as I'm using 120gb A400 on one my PC since 2018 and Sandisk SSD plus since 2016 as long your processor is not old Dual core spec will bottleneck.
This is good news! icon_idea.gif

Ok another n00b question: how do i install new Windows 10 on my A400?
Where do i start?

Do i need to go to BIOS first then change the boot sequence to A400?
Then proceed with the setup as per normal?

chilskater
post Jun 14 2020, 10:27 PM

Regular
1,096 posts

Use bootable USB Windows 10, very easy..enabled to boot from it in BIOS
DEz012
post Jun 15 2020, 12:27 AM

On my way
569 posts

QUOTE(Zaryl @ Jun 14 2020, 09:06 PM)
This is good news!  icon_idea.gif

Ok another n00b question: how do i install new Windows 10 on my A400?
Where do i start?

Do i need to go to BIOS first then change the boot sequence to A400?
Then proceed with the setup as per normal?
QUOTE(chilskater @ Jun 14 2020, 10:27 PM)
Use bootable USB Windows 10, very easy..enabled to boot from it in BIOS
As mention above.

You can download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool from the link below

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

There is instruction on the website. Make sure u have at lease 8gb and above pen drive since latest version Win 10 iso is 5gb.

Just a safe advice, remove all another HDD from the PC by disconnecting the power and sata before installing the windows.

Turn off the PC before disconnect or reconnect the cables, don't be a idiot doing it while the PC in on.

This is just to prevent wrong installation on another HDD, will cause loss data, if this is the first time u are doing windows installation.

After done then reconnect everything back.
TSZaryl
post Jun 15 2020, 12:35 AM

Hardcore Casual Gamer
1,523 posts

QUOTE(DEz012 @ Jun 15 2020, 12:27 AM)
As mention above.

You can download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool from the link below

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

There is instruction on the website. Make sure u have at lease 8gb and above pen drive since latest version Win 10 iso is 5gb.

Just a safe advice, remove all another HDD from the PC by disconnecting the power and sata before installing the windows.

Turn off the PC before disconnect or reconnect the cables, don't be a idiot doing it while the PC in on.

This is just to prevent wrong installation on another HDD, will cause loss data, if this is the first time u are doing windows installation.

After done then reconnect everything back.
thank you & to others too.

i finally did it.
now i am in the process of transferring data from old HDD.

thumbsup.gif
waghyu
post Jun 15 2020, 02:16 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,389 posts

QUOTE(Zaryl @ Jun 6 2020, 12:55 AM)
I am upgrading my old desktop that runs Windows 10 on HDD and wish to use a SSD for it.

I've searched and recommend to use EaseUS backup tool to do SYSTEM CLONE, but that requires me to pay the license of USD29.95 per 1 year  shakehead.gif
any other free backup softwares or other methods that you all could share?

One more thing, is 120GB SSD enough for Windows 10, taking into consideration for future Win 10 updates?

i'm thinking to get Kingston A400 120GB SSD. Is this a good & reliable buy?

thanks sifus!
Buy Samsung, comes with free migration clone software. Works on Samsung SSD from any HDD.
TSZaryl
post Jun 15 2020, 12:55 PM

Hardcore Casual Gamer
1,523 posts

WTF my post was reported??

Must be some butthurt microsoft employee since I didn’t have to buy another win 10 key which costs nearly rm1k.

LEL
TheAmuzer P
post Jun 18 2020, 02:47 PM

Probation
12 posts

QUOTE(Zaryl @ Jun 5 2020, 11:55 AM)
I am upgrading my old desktop that runs Windows 10 on HDD and wish to use a SSD for it.

I've searched and recommend to use EaseUS backup tool to do SYSTEM CLONE, but that requires me to pay the license of USD29.95 per 1 year  shakehead.gif
any other free backup softwares or other methods that you all could share?

One more thing, is 120GB SSD enough for Windows 10, taking into consideration for future Win 10 updates?

i'm thinking to get Kingston A400 120GB SSD. Is this a good & reliable buy?

thanks sifus!
Even I moved from HDD to SSD this month. I bought Kingston 240GB SSD and an external portable cover to use my old HDD.
What I suggest is get an external portable cover and you can use it for both HDD as well as SSD or, as you said you have a desktop, you can have both HDD and SSD installed simultaneously.

Now, if you want to Clone your Data then you can use Macrium Reflect or other free tools mentioned in this article https://devsjournal.com/how-to-transfer-win...-ssd-drive.html.

And, Yes! Kingston is Good for SSD and also it is enough for Windows 10.

TSZaryl
post Jun 18 2020, 03:00 PM

Hardcore Casual Gamer
1,523 posts

QUOTE(TheAmuzer @ Jun 18 2020, 02:47 PM)
Even I moved from HDD to SSD this month. I bought Kingston 240GB SSD and an external portable cover to use my old HDD.
What I suggest is get an external portable cover and you can use it for both HDD as well as SSD or, as you said you have a desktop, you can have both HDD and SSD installed simultaneously.

Now, if you want to Clone your Data then you can use Macrium Reflect or other free tools mentioned in this article https://devsjournal.com/how-to-transfer-win...-ssd-drive.html.

And, Yes! Kingston is Good for SSD and also it is enough for Windows 10.
thanks for the input. thumbsup.gif

my next project is do the same but now for my aging laptop.
i might the same like yours; put SSD then the old HDD put on external caddy.

yes, i pretty like the overall performance of Kingston A400 SSD so far. i don't use my PC everyday and not for extensive read write operations.

some more i feel it's kinda wasting to invest in high performance SSD for an aging systems. laugh.gif
TSZaryl
post Jul 9 2020, 12:22 AM

Hardcore Casual Gamer
1,523 posts

QUOTE(DEz012 @ Jun 14 2020, 08:46 PM)

my final project is to install SSD on yet another of my very old 2011 HP Envy 14 laptop.
it has intel i5 2nd gen 2406 Sandy Bridge CPU with Dual Core & 4 Threads though.

True to your warning, i find that my envy 14 boots up windows 10 wayyyy slower than my envy 17 (i7 2011 sandy bridge 4 cores 4 threads) & dell xps 8700 desktop (i5 2015 haswell 4 cores 4 threads)

but i was wondering why old Dual Core CPU would bottleneck the system even though i installed SSD?

appreciate your & other views in this. thanks.
DEz012
post Jul 10 2020, 11:46 PM

On my way
569 posts

QUOTE(Zaryl @ Jul 9 2020, 12:22 AM)
my final project is to install SSD on yet another of my very old 2011 HP Envy 14 laptop.
it has intel i5 2nd gen 2406 Sandy Bridge CPU with Dual Core & 4 Threads though.

True to your warning, i find that my envy 14 boots up windows 10 wayyyy slower than my envy 17 (i7 2011 sandy bridge 4 cores 4 threads) & dell xps 8700 desktop (i5 2015 haswell 4 cores 4 threads)

but i was wondering why old Dual Core CPU would bottleneck the system even though i installed SSD?

appreciate your & other views in this. thanks.
Why bother installing SSD on a 2011 laptop. You are just wasting money for a bit faster loading unless the hdd is dying. Since it was sandy cpu dual core with 4 threads should have better performance than older Pentium dual core.

Just make sure the ram is 4gb and above, if not don't use Win 10 or u will suffer like THIS.

The bottleneck only happens with Windows startup and on desktop when loading windows system file and apps as will cause the CPU spike to 100% since it can't keep up the speed. After everything done loading it should work fine.

TSZaryl
post Jul 11 2020, 12:32 AM

Hardcore Casual Gamer
1,523 posts

QUOTE(DEz012 @ Jul 10 2020, 11:46 PM)
Why bother installing SSD on a 2011 laptop. You are just wasting money for a bit faster loading unless the hdd is dying. Since it was sandy cpu dual core with 4 threads should have better performance than older Pentium dual core.

Just make sure the ram is 4gb and above, if not don't use Win 10 or u will suffer like THIS.

The bottleneck only happens with Windows startup and on desktop when loading windows system file and apps as will cause the CPU spike to 100% since it can't keep up the speed. After everything done loading it should work fine.
After a quick research on several HP community forums, i’ve finally found a solution & decided to share with fellow LYN users here should they find this useful.

Apparently, the slow loading booting time is caused mainly by the onboard graphics card Ultra Low Power Saving (ULPS) where the graphic card took some time to “wake up” in order to start windows 10 properly.

I went to edit the EnableULPS setting inside regedit.exe and changed the parameter from 1 to 0.
Of course i needed to make a backup of the registry in case things go wrong.

Rebooted my old laptop again & now windows 10 boots up from a staggering 1 min 30 seconds to a blazing 10 seconds! cool2.gif

Source here -> Solution to slow starting windows 10 SSD

FYI, my old laptop have 8GB DDR3 RAM (the maximum it can have). Felt glad to invest that back in 2011. Also, my purpose to revive the old beast is to make it a media player connected to my big LED tv. Didn’t have the budget to buy a shiny new mini PC or apple mac mini though sweat.gif laugh.gif
sHawTY
post Jul 22 2020, 12:18 PM

Frequent Reporter
All Stars
14,628 posts

QUOTE(Zaryl @ Jul 11 2020, 12:32 AM)
my purpose to revive the old beast is to make it a media player connected to my big LED tv
Mi Box S + Kodi. Done. Tak payah nak upgrade apa apa

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0159sec    0.19    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:02 AM