Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Rear Brake Issue, 2011 ER6N Brake no BITE

views

TSHamacci
post Jun 3 2020, 07:19 PM, updated 4y ago

1 posts

Dear Bikers, I'm having some issue with my rear brake after I restart my bike 2 months plus Post MCO.
It was functioning as it should before the lock down bangwall.gif bangwall.gif
I dont feel any bite AT ALL. Tried to use it at Low Speed, High Speed and Slope, no feeling at all...

Was thinking if there is anyway to troubleshoot the problem for me to try and spend time fixing it myself "Since CMCO- Very Free"

Or Sifu-Sifu sekalian think it'll be better to leave this to the mechanic??
waghyu
post Jun 3 2020, 07:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,389 posts

QUOTE(Hamacci @ Jun 3 2020, 07:19 PM)
Dear Bikers, I'm having some issue with my rear brake after I restart my bike 2 months plus Post MCO.
It was functioning as it should before the lock down  bangwall.gif  bangwall.gif
I dont feel any bite AT ALL. Tried to use it at Low Speed, High Speed and Slope, no feeling at all...

Was thinking if there is anyway to troubleshoot the problem for me to try and spend time fixing it myself "Since CMCO- Very Free"

Disc? Maybe cylinder jammed.
alexei
post Jun 3 2020, 09:25 PM

Biker Mice from Mars
1,709 posts

QUOTE(Hamacci @ Jun 3 2020, 07:19 PM)
It was functioning as it should before the lock down  bangwall.gif  bangwall.gif

What I normally do... remove the calipers, clean the pistons properly and dry them. Lube the seals, and press the pistons back into the caliper. After that, use the brake pedal/lever to press it out. Repeat a few times, and reinstall the caliper. Be careful not to twist or bend the brake hose too much, especially at the joints.

Do not open any covers or bleed nipples. Brake fluid is in sealed environment, and opening anything introduces additional moisture into it.

The brake pistons need to retract a little bit when the pedal is released, I normally tap the disc when testing it. You can hear obvious difference when the brake shoes are biting hard, and when it retracts properly without holding on the disc too much.

Follow maintenance schedule, usually every 2 years for full brake service.
TSHamacci
post Jun 3 2020, 09:31 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(waghyu @ Jun 3 2020, 07:28 PM)
Disc? Maybe cylinder jammed.
The disc seems fine without any sign of wear and tear....
Any sign to look at if its the cylinder that jammed?
TSHamacci
post Jun 3 2020, 09:36 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(alexei @ Jun 3 2020, 09:25 PM)
What I normally do... remove the calipers, clean the pistons properly and dry them. Lube the seals, and press the pistons back into the caliper. After that, use the brake pedal/lever to press it out. Repeat a few times, and reinstall the caliper. Be careful not to twist or bend the brake hose too much, especially at the joints.

Do not open any covers or bleed nipples. Brake fluid is in sealed environment, and opening anything introduces additional moisture into it.

The brake pistons need to retract a little bit when the pedal is released, I normally tap the disc when testing it. You can hear obvious difference when the brake shoes are biting hard, and when it retracts properly without holding on the disc too much.

Follow maintenance schedule, usually every 2 years for full brake service.
Thanks for the info, is there by any chance that you have a video on how it's done? I bought my bike 2nd hand and its my 1st year of owning it. Not sure if the previous owner did anything.
Any tips on inspecting the condition of the brake pads?

waghyu
post Jun 3 2020, 10:32 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,389 posts

QUOTE(Hamacci @ Jun 3 2020, 09:31 PM)
The disc seems fine without any sign of wear and tear....
Any sign to look at if its the cylinder that jammed?
Idle, when u press brake, does it expand and squeeze the pass againts the disc?
TSHamacci
post Jun 4 2020, 06:35 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(waghyu @ Jun 3 2020, 10:32 PM)
Idle, when u press brake, does it expand and squeeze the pass againts the disc?
Last I check I didn't saw any movement, was wondering if I'm looking at the wrong place. Now it makes sense.... Thanks!
mADmAN
post Jun 8 2020, 01:07 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,515 posts

the space between the pads and the disc is so small that u will barely see movement.

perhaps a brake fluid bleed/flush might be in order...easy to DIY alone and parts are cheap. good idea to change the brake fluid too.

youtube has tonnes of guides.
TSHamacci
post Jun 8 2020, 01:59 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(mADmAN @ Jun 8 2020, 01:07 PM)
the space between the pads and the disc is so small that u will barely see movement.

perhaps a brake fluid bleed/flush might be in order...easy to DIY alone and parts are cheap. good idea to change the brake fluid too.

youtube has tonnes of guides.
Just check my rear brake that day, I did see some part of the pad moving when I engage the brake. I tried to locate the rear brake fluid reservoir but seems like it's concealed inside. Tried remove my brake caliper also tak jadi. The bolt is dead tight.

Give up liao, gonna send it to a mechanic.

Anyone know any good mechanic near Semenyih?
alexei
post Jun 12 2020, 09:01 AM

Biker Mice from Mars
1,709 posts

QUOTE(Hamacci @ Jun 8 2020, 01:59 PM)
Just check my rear brake that day, I did see some part of the pad moving when I engage the brake. I tried to locate the rear brake fluid reservoir but seems like it's concealed inside. Tried remove my brake caliper also tak jadi. The bolt is dead tight.

Give up liao, gonna send it to a mechanic.

Anyone know any good mechanic near Semenyih?
suggest you look for Kawasaki service center
TSHamacci
post Jun 12 2020, 10:15 AM

1 posts

QUOTE(alexei @ Jun 12 2020, 09:01 AM)
Ya, gotten a PM from other former for contact of nearby mechanic. Will mostly leave it to the hand of the expert.
Justin.Loong
post Jun 12 2020, 01:57 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,266 posts

QUOTE(alexei @ Jun 12 2020, 09:01 AM)
QUOTE(Hamacci @ Jun 12 2020, 10:15 AM)
Ya, gotten a PM from other former for contact of nearby mechanic. Will mostly leave it to the hand of the expert.
+1. ^^ This! nod.gif
If you're unsure, just bring to the local bike shop and have it looked at and fixed.

It could be something complex or something small like air bubbles trapped. hmm.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0168sec    0.43    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:14 PM