Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

How Much Roughly to Wire FTTH to your Home?, From FDP(box on the pole) to the Modem?

views

SUSCandy12
post Jun 2 2020, 12:24 AM

Regular
1,878 posts

QUOTE(Rainings @ Jun 2 2020, 12:19 AM)
is fine bro.. im not complaining.
No one get to install fiber yet, the street just newly install FDP.
i think on my street im the only one that demand for fiber. others house all retired and old folks.
still not sure which type of connecter they use.
Yes, I think nowadays companies like TM not only interested in looking for high demand areas to include in their Unifi expansion.

If your area according to census has lots of B40 groups, they'll also avoid. There's high tendency for many who will default, stop paying their bills and moved out from their homes when economy downturn strikes.

High demand is one thing, high default rate and line abandonment is also things to consider in expansion.

WHITE APPLE
post Jun 2 2020, 12:35 PM

Getting Started
113 posts

QUOTE(Rainings @ Jun 1 2020, 06:00 PM)
This is what i ordered.
1. Single Mode SC-SC PC Type Coupler x1
2. FWS Fiber Wall Socket Box with 2 ports x1
3. Patch Cable x1

Should be enough right? Do I need to order Fiber Terminal Box(Outdoor)?
Long time ago TM pull from DP to FTB right? now no more is it?
So do we need the FTB still? Or from the pole connects to FWS directly via drill hole or ceiling?
Rainings
post Jun 2 2020, 01:14 PM

Regular
1,019 posts

QUOTE(WHITE APPLE @ Jun 2 2020, 12:35 PM)
So do we need the FTB still? Or from the pole connects to FWS directly via drill hole or ceiling?
Refer here
QUOTE(Candy12 @ Jun 1 2020, 06:24 PM)
The FTB not really needed since we don't really have a wholesale passive fibre infra provider like in other countries.

For the FWS, in my opinion is more important to isolate and allow DIY repairs in future just in case the fibre cable is fracture inside your house and needs a patch cord replacement.

Usually the standard installation already provide the cable with a connector to be plugged directly into your modem. But my suggestion is go a little extra by asking the installer to plug it into the coupler and plug a patch cord to separate into 2 sections for easier future troubleshooting.

The coupler is to be inserted into the one of the slots in the FWS as a port.

Do check with your installer in advance which type of connector type they're using in your area before deciding to buy the correct coupler and patch cord.This is to avoid wasting your money.
WHITE APPLE
post Jun 2 2020, 02:03 PM

Getting Started
113 posts

Thanks
leroy627
post Jun 2 2020, 08:54 PM

7 posts

Just to add to this:
If you want custom length cable, FS.com has them, OS2 fiber cable.

The fiber termination 'cut'/polish/connector is usually either UPC or APC, can tell by colour of the connectors, green = APC, blue = UPC. Usually can see on both cable plug and ONT port as well.

APC is better(Marginally less signal loss), but unfortunately you can't mix and match UPC and APC, the fibers WILL be damaged, or at least scratched.

As for the connector itself, if you'd like to run a long distance cable and the SC connector is too big to run, you can go for the LC connector, it's smaller in size. So like this > TM Cable, then SC > SC adapter at the start if no FWS, then SC > LC cabling, then on the other end place an LC > LC adapter and finally another LC > SC cable to the ONT. (If you have a FWS then just plug in SC-LC cable into that)

You could run two(duplex) fibers if you wish as well

Single/Simplex Fiber: https://www.fs.com/sg/products/12285.html
Two/Duplex Fiber: https://www.fs.com/sg/products/50147.html
SC Adapter: https://www.fs.com/sg/products/48488.html
LC Adapter: https://www.fs.com/sg/products/17579.html (Must be duplex to fit with the wall box below)
Wall box thing: https://www.fs.com/sg/products/14457.html

Technically you could run the bare fiber cables without a plug on one end (pigtails), then use a mechanical splicer and reattach the connector (by joining another pigtail), if you really can't spare a slightly bigger hole. But- that needs extra tools

#Victor
post Jun 3 2020, 12:54 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,600 posts

how to proper setup wall socket for relocation of router and ONU?

currently just layover the fiber cable naked and pass thru power socket with something like this
user posted imageuser posted image

original wall socket
user posted image

SUSCandy12
post Jun 4 2020, 02:39 PM

Regular
1,878 posts

QUOTE(leroy627 @ Jun 2 2020, 08:54 PM)
Just to add to this:

The fiber termination 'cut'/polish/connector is usually either UPC or APC, can tell by colour of the connectors, green = APC, blue = UPC. Usually can see on both cable plug and ONT port as well.

APC is better(Marginally less signal loss), but unfortunately you can't mix and match UPC and APC, the fibers WILL be damaged, or at least scratched.

As for the connector itself, if you'd like to run a long distance cable and the SC connector is too big to run, you can go for the LC connector, it's smaller in size. So like this > TM Cable, then SC > SC adapter at the start if no FWS, then SC > LC cabling, then on the other end place an LC > LC adapter and finally another LC > SC cable to the ONT. (If you have a FWS then just plug in SC-LC cable into that)

Technically you could run the bare fiber cables without a plug on one end (pigtails), then use a mechanical splicer and reattach the connector (by joining another pigtail), if you really can't spare a slightly bigger hole. But- that needs extra tools
Thank you for the suggestion.There is some reserve comment on the method though.
You will need 2 different couplers and 3 different cables to realize the setup which is a challenge for most Malaysians and increase the chances of introducing more insertion loss .

Originally the whole idea of why TM Unifi amateur installers did away with both the demarcation outdoor wall box and the FWS(wall socket box) was not just because of trimming costs, it was to make installation jobs as simple as possible for their lazy men from making any mistakes, accidents or missing out any steps which could result in serious signal degradation in the long run.

Since Malaysian HSBB wholesale provider TM monopolizes most of the landed home FTTH buildouts, there is no reason to have an outdoor demarcation box but the FWS(wall socket/TP) is still a very essential item to make active equipment(ONT/fibre modem) or patch cords swapping easy.

The SIMPLEST method I could think of to place a FWS in between a directly pulled armored fiber with 2 spliced connectors on both ends is to get just 1x coupler which matches it, a patch cord fibre cable of short length to place the ONT nearby the wall box and just a FWS(wall socket box).

That way I could keep signal attenuation/loss to the minimum at the same time simplify the entire installation as much as possible with the least time needed.

TM FDP white box on utility poles --> Free supplied armoured core fibre --> FWS wall socket box with Matching Coupler(APC/UPC type) --> Patch cord to ONT/fibre modem.

This method is used by Japanese FTTH installations to make the readily available wall socket(FWS)/TP as as basic necessity for customer to do their own DIY equipment installation.
SUSCandy12
post Jun 4 2020, 02:47 PM

Regular
1,878 posts

QUOTE(#Victor @ Jun 3 2020, 12:54 AM)
how to proper setup wall socket for relocation of router and ONU?

currently just layover the fiber cable naked and pass thru power socket with something like this

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
Very badly done installation. Why do you run the patch cord through the wall and what difference does it makes if you run the cable directly from the outside FDP white box on the telephone pole directly to your modem if the patch cable gets broken? You want to hack the wall a 2nd time?

The whole idea of strategically placing the FWS(wall socket box)/TP is to allow easy and quick swaps of patch cable with easy accessibility of the ONT/fibre modem being as close as possible.

Why did the installer installed the FWS on the opposite side of the wall and route the patch cord cable through it by drilling a whole? If the patch cord gets broken or you intend to replace it in future, that will be quite a headache.You certainly don't want to DIY and would certainly need to source a contractor once again to do a neat job.

Rainings
post Jun 4 2020, 03:56 PM

Regular
1,019 posts

Finally all arrived. hopefully installation will go smoothly.
user posted image
SUSCandy12
post Jun 4 2020, 03:59 PM

Regular
1,878 posts

QUOTE(Rainings @ Jun 4 2020, 03:56 PM)
Finally all arrived. hopefully installation will go smoothly.
user posted image
My TM Huawei Echolife HG8240H uses the blue colored UPC connector like that. So should be correct.
Not sure about the other ONTs such as Nokia and FiberHome.
Rainings
post Jun 4 2020, 04:07 PM

Regular
1,019 posts

QUOTE(Candy12 @ Jun 4 2020, 03:59 PM)
My TM Huawei Echolife HG8240H uses the blue colored UPC connector like that. So should be correct.
Not sure about the other ONTs such as Nokia and FiberHome.
thx, finger cross. Since TM pretty cheap stake, i dont think they will use "better" connector blush.gif
#Victor
post Jun 4 2020, 04:14 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,600 posts

QUOTE(Candy12 @ Jun 4 2020, 02:47 PM)
Very badly done installation. Why do you run the patch cord through the wall and what difference does it makes if you run the cable directly from the outside FDP white box on the telephone pole directly to your modem if the patch cable gets broken? You want to hack the wall a 2nd time?

The whole idea of strategically placing the FWS(wall socket box)/TP is to allow easy and quick swaps of patch cable with easy accessibility of the ONT/fibre modem being as close as possible.

Why did the installer installed the FWS on the opposite side of the wall and route the patch cord cable through it by drilling a whole? If the patch cord gets broken or you intend to replace it in future, that will be quite a headache.You certainly don't want to DIY and would certainly need to source a contractor once again to do a neat job.
the original wall socket is inside room and behind wardrobe, therefore need to relocate to outside common area. at first the wiring guy said the wall socket box cannot be relocate, after reading this thread only found out FWS can actually be purchase.
the patch cord is running concealed inside, how likely will fiber cable broken?
SUSCandy12
post Jun 4 2020, 04:21 PM

Regular
1,878 posts

QUOTE(#Victor @ Jun 4 2020, 04:14 PM)
the original wall socket is inside room and behind wardrobe, therefore need to relocate to outside common area. at first the wiring guy said the wall socket box cannot be relocate, after reading this thread only found out FWS can actually be purchase.
the patch cord is running concealed inside, how likely will fiber cable broken?
You should conceal the entire armoured fiber cable(black colored) exposed running on walls as much as possible until where the FWS is installed. Even inside the ceiling they should be run through ducts.That should be the proper way to prevent accidents and unwanted animals/child from damaging them.

The FWS should be placed as close as possible to where you want the fibre modem(ONT) to be installed to facilitate easy swapping and reduce wear/tear.

Avoid using connectors/couplers as much as possible because they can cause signal to degrade.
#Victor
post Jun 4 2020, 05:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,600 posts

QUOTE(Candy12 @ Jun 4 2020, 04:21 PM)
You should conceal the entire armoured fiber cable(black colored) exposed running on walls as much as possible until where the FWS is installed. Even inside the ceiling they should be run through ducts.That should be the proper way to prevent accidents and unwanted animals/child from damaging them.

The FWS should be placed as close as possible to where you want the fibre modem(ONT) to be installed to facilitate easy swapping and reduce wear/tear.

Avoid using connectors/couplers as much as possible because they can cause signal to degrade.
can? asked many contractors, all said cannot be done... supposed should have relocate the FWS outside to the wall near router but was told the FWS cannot be move
SUSCandy12
post Jun 4 2020, 08:13 PM

Regular
1,878 posts

QUOTE(#Victor @ Jun 4 2020, 05:22 PM)
can? asked many contractors, all said cannot be done... supposed should have relocate the FWS outside to the wall near router but was told the FWS cannot be move
Ask for services to rewire your home once again and this time provide your own cable, FWS wall box/port, patch cable and coupler/adapter.

Buy a roll anything above 30M, 50M or 75M extra is fine, you can still cut if access or roll it up according to your need.

Or you can just buy the cable with no terminated connectors on both ends.

https://shopee.com.my/SC-SC-Fiber-Drop-Cabl...9217.2660773114

Ask the contractor to remove your old cable and push the new black armoured cable through the holes already made the last time. You'll noticed that both ends of the pre-fused spliced connectors already present for the suggested item above, cut off the end which is to be routed through the wall because the connector is too big in the way.

Then once routed to where you want to place your new FWS(wall socket box), use a fast snap-on connector with the end of the fibre cable, and plug it into the coupling adapter before installing it into the box winding up the excess length inside the box.

Also note that snap-on mechanical connectors actually increase attenuation slightly higher than fusion spliced components.So avoid if possible. That is why I always recommend factory ready fibre cables with spliced connectors which are QC tested like the one above.

The armoured cable is hard to wind up in small loops with the reinforced steel inside, cut it away so that you can wind it easier inside the FWS box.
Rainings
post Jun 12 2020, 09:38 AM

Regular
1,019 posts

my experience so far using the fws. yesterday installed in less than 2 hrs the line broke.
He said the fusion part broke the FWS too small, and it was curved and put inside the fws.
This morning they came and refusion again.
Yesterday the fusion part still inside the fws.
user posted image

now u can see end of it is actually fusion part,
user posted image
coupler now will move it outside
user posted image

This post has been edited by Rainings: Jun 12 2020, 10:05 AM
SUSCandy12
post Jun 12 2020, 06:33 PM

Regular
1,878 posts

QUOTE(Rainings @ Jun 12 2020, 09:38 AM)
my experience so far using the fws. yesterday installed in less than 2 hrs the line broke.
He said the fusion part broke the FWS too small, and it was curved and put inside the fws.
This morning they came and refusion again.
Yesterday the fusion part still inside the fws.
user posted image

now u can see end of it is actually fusion part,
user posted image
coupler now will move it outside
user posted image
You might want to try using those long FWS similar to those in Japan which can fit only 1 coupler inside.

Like this:
https://shopee.com.my/Fiber-Optic-SC-SC-Joi...7292.1248280245
Rainings
post Jun 12 2020, 09:17 PM

Regular
1,019 posts

QUOTE(Candy12 @ Jun 12 2020, 06:33 PM)
You might want to try using those long FWS similar to those in Japan which can fit only 1 coupler inside.

Like this:
https://shopee.com.my/Fiber-Optic-SC-SC-Joi...7292.1248280245
Ahh.. i doesn't know this thing actually exists. Thx for that.. will get this cover to protect the coupler.
SUSCandy12
post Jun 21 2020, 03:03 PM

Regular
1,878 posts

How much does a outdoor 12-port FDP(Fibre Distribution Panel) box costs including a 1 x 8 passive fan-out type splitter to create an additional 8 ports to serve homes along the same housing row?

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

From OLT port(at exchange office)-->1 x 4 Splitter-->FDC(Fibre Roadside Cabinet)-->1 x 8 Splitter-->CPE(fibre modem/ONT/ONU)

Each OLT port serves up to 32 fibres modem(ONTs) through cascading 4 x 8 splitters.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0121sec    0.22    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:06 AM