Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

How Much Roughly to Wire FTTH to your Home?, From FDP(box on the pole) to the Modem?

views

SUSCandy12
post May 26 2020, 12:48 PM, updated 4y ago

Regular
1,878 posts

How Much Roughly to Wire FTTH to Your Home?

30/20M of SC-SC Black Armoured Drop Fiber with Readily Fusion-spliced PC Connectors(Blue) on Both Ends - RM39 for 30M or RM32 for 20M

user posted image

75M/100M of SC-SC Black Armoured Drop Fiber with Readily Fusion-spliced PC Connectors(Blue) on Both Ends - RM72 for 75M or RM84 for 100M

user posted image

user posted image

OPTIONAL**
Outdoor 2-Port Fiber Termination Box(Demarcation Box)

user posted image

Fiber Wall Socket Box with 2 ports - RM2.85

user posted image

Single Mode SC-SC PC Type Coupler to Separate Armoured Drop Fibre with Indoor Patch Cable Inside FWS - RM5

user posted image - RM5

SC-SC PC type Connector(Blue) Patch Cable From FWS to Fibre Modem(10M) x10 Pack
*Just for reference you don't need 10M probably 1M-2M will do since your modem should be placed near FWS
user posted image

Huawei GPON ONT Fibre Modem in 40s Bulk (RM1510.30 with each only RM37)
*TM orders this at even larger bulks which works out to even much cheaper

user posted image

All for less than RM150 per home and you've future proof your home to support speeds of beyond 10Gbps.

EDIT(05/06/2020): Added more items for price referencing and an optional outdoor wall fiber termination box(Demarcation box).

This post has been edited by Candy12: Jun 5 2020, 07:14 PM
jetblast
post May 26 2020, 01:02 PM

Regular
1,010 posts

QUOTE(Candy12 @ May 26 2020, 12:48 PM)

All for less than RM150 per home and you've future proof your home to support speeds of beyond 10Gbps.
No such thing as future proof because new technologies emerged everyday.
xCryptik
post May 26 2020, 02:38 PM

On my way
549 posts

QUOTE(Candy12 @ May 26 2020, 02:12 PM)
This post of mine is to give the public a general idea of how much fibre equipment installation costs so that they won't be cheated by future TM installers that wire up their homes.

Why did TM removed the FWS from standard installations post 2017 is beyond believe. It costs less than RM3 only per box.

While they introduced full 24 months early termination penalties on their customers for renewing contracts and new installations. Greed and corruption seriously.
FWS Gone. Adapter Gone. What's next? Modem? Haha.
SUSCandy12
post May 26 2020, 02:57 PM

Regular
1,878 posts

QUOTE(xCryptik @ May 26 2020, 02:38 PM)
FWS Gone. Adapter Gone. What's next? Modem? Haha.
Thinking of buying my own FWS box, a coupler and a patch cord to rewire my house by myself.

Then pull out the direct cable with connector inside my ONT(fibre modem), plug it into the coupler, wind up the armoured cable inside the FWS, then plug it with the patch cord from the FWS to the modem.

That way neater and easier to manage in future.

Besides using 2-port FWS box, there're also 4-port ones for future need.Some countries like Switzerland pull 4 strands of fibre cable(4-core) into each home.
Rainings
post May 26 2020, 04:23 PM

Regular
1,019 posts

I think i might be getting FFTH by early June.
but I don't have knowledge for the fiber optic wiring.
Right now I only saw the DP on the pole.
My house will require to route it on the ceiling, previously my phone line also pulling on the ceiling.
Not sure how much they will charge this time.
Do you recommend i should prepare any of these things before they come?
Would like to know more. Afraid getting scam by them, since most of them just work under contract.
this is what i found
user posted image

This post has been edited by Rainings: May 26 2020, 04:36 PM
xCryptik
post May 26 2020, 04:46 PM

On my way
549 posts

QUOTE(Rainings @ May 26 2020, 05:23 PM)
My house will require to route it on the ceiling, previously my phone line also pulling on the ceiling.
Would like to know more. Afraid getting scam by them, since most of them just work under contract.
this is what i found
user posted image
If you request or tell them standard installation, they will poke hole at your wall for free for that fibre cable without any protection.
If standard installation with micro duct protection, start from RM60.
If route through the ceiling, the price start from RM50 usually.
Some contractor will issued you official receipt.

However, some contractor can "help" with lower charges but no receipt issued.

cba5566
post May 26 2020, 06:08 PM

Casual
415 posts

For standard fiber cable (black color) installation , tm installer
used pvc cable u clip on the wall.As simple as that ...for
cost saving , i think ....
SUSCandy12
post May 26 2020, 06:33 PM

Regular
1,878 posts

QUOTE(Rainings @ May 26 2020, 04:23 PM)
this is what i found
user posted image
The standard installation will provide the black armored cable directly from the FDP white box on the telephone pole to your fibre modem. The last time I chose to route it from the ceiling down to the room where my modem is installed, they charged me RM100 just to climb up the rood pull up my roof tiles and pull the cable through the ceiling tied with a stick. That also they didn't provide any FWS box which costs less than RM10 with coupler for me.

If you want to prepare for the standard installation, just buy the FWS box find a nice one, usually a SC-SC PC-type(blue)/APC(green for some TIME installations) coupler and your desired patch cord cable to hook up your modem with the FWS box. You can get them all including delivery for less than RM20.

A 2-5M length patch cord(yellow with blue connector head) with fusion spliced SC-SC PC connector is more than enough since the FWS is usually placed nearby fibre modem(ONT).

Lookup the items I posted with the initial post of this thread.
xCryptik
post May 26 2020, 07:24 PM

On my way
549 posts

QUOTE(Candy12 @ May 26 2020, 07:33 PM)
The standard installation will provide the black armored cable directly from the FDP white box on the telephone pole to your fibre modem. The last time I chose to route it from the ceiling down to the room where my modem is installed, they charged me RM100 just to climb up the rood pull up my roof tiles and pull the cable through the ceiling tied with a stick. That also they didn't provide any FWS box which costs less than RM10 with coupler for me.

If you want to prepare for the standard installation, just buy the FWS box find a nice one, usually a SC-SC PC-type(blue)/APC(green for some TIME installations) coupler and your desired patch cord cable to hook up your modem with the FWS box. You can get them all including delivery for less than RM20.

A 2-5M length patch cord(yellow with blue connector head) with fusion spliced SC-SC PC connector is more than enough since the FWS is usually placed nearby fibre modem(ONT).

You guess how much will they charge we ask them use that FWS put through our own adapter with patch cord?
Rainings
post May 26 2020, 08:41 PM

Regular
1,019 posts

QUOTE(Candy12 @ May 26 2020, 06:33 PM)

Yes i want it to route it from the ceiling and down to the living room where my modem currently is.

May I know why FWS box is important? Is it because easy for maintenance?
Sry I'm not familiar with it not sure what is the usage.

How to actually define a nice FWS box?
The patch cord cable is it connect to TM BTU? and BTU connect to router?
thx for your sharing.

This post has been edited by Rainings: May 27 2020, 02:14 PM
SUSCandy12
post Jun 1 2020, 05:46 PM

Regular
1,878 posts

QUOTE(Rainings @ May 26 2020, 08:41 PM)
Yes i want it to route it from the ceiling and down to the living room where my modem currently is.

May I know why FWS box is important? Is it because easy for maintenance?
Sry I'm not familiar with it not sure what is the usage.

How to actually define a nice FWS box?
The patch cord cable is it connect to TM BTU? and BTU connect to router?
thx for your sharing.
Get a sturdy looking one with at least 2-4 ports depending on your future needs.
2 ports FWS should be fine for most homes. The better ones comes with compartment that allows you to rewind excess fibre cable for tidy setup behind.
Rainings
post Jun 1 2020, 06:00 PM

Regular
1,019 posts

QUOTE(Candy12 @ Jun 1 2020, 05:46 PM)
Get a sturdy looking one with at least 2-4 ports depending on your future needs.
2 ports FWS should be fine for most homes. The better ones comes with compartment that allows you to rewind excess fibre cable for tidy setup behind.
This is what i ordered.
1. Single Mode SC-SC PC Type Coupler x1
2. FWS Fiber Wall Socket Box with 2 ports x1
3. Patch Cable x1

Should be enough right? Do I need to order Fiber Terminal Box(Outdoor)?
Long time ago TM pull from DP to FTB right? now no more is it?
SUSCandy12
post Jun 1 2020, 06:12 PM

Regular
1,878 posts

QUOTE(Rainings @ Jun 1 2020, 06:00 PM)
This is what i ordered.
1. Single Mode SC-SC PC Type Coupler x1
2. FWS Fiber Wall Socket Box with 2 ports x1
3. Patch Cable x1

Should be enough right? Do I need to order Fiber Terminal Box(Outdoor)?
Long time ago TM pull from DP to FTB right? now no more is it?
Before you jump straight into the order make sure the coupler used by the TM Unifi installers at your area is using for PC or APC type connectors.

The common one should be PC type but just to be safe. APC type is slightly more expensive.

Your patch cord must follow the suitable type as well.
QuantumEdge
post Jun 1 2020, 06:21 PM

Regular
1,147 posts

QUOTE(Candy12 @ Jun 1 2020, 06:12 PM)
Before you jump straight into the order make sure the coupler used by the TM Unifi installers at your area is using for PC or APC type connectors.

The common one should be PC type but just to be safe. APC type is slightly more expensive.

I thought they would standardize connectors for installation? bangwall.gif
SUSCandy12
post Jun 1 2020, 06:31 PM

Regular
1,878 posts

QUOTE(QuantumEdge @ Jun 1 2020, 06:21 PM)
I thought they would standardize connectors for installation? bangwall.gif
TM's bad HSBB management in allowing their own installers to do what they want and supply different kinds of equipment in different areas/states.

https://www.dintek.com.tw/index.php/Article...connectors.html

Anyway, some of those service areas I know using the different slightly more expensive APC connectors are served by Time Fibre.

TM HSBB mostly use the cheaper PC-type connectors.
Rainings
post Jun 1 2020, 08:55 PM

Regular
1,019 posts

QUOTE(Candy12 @ Jun 1 2020, 06:12 PM)

Oh no..
I ordered this
1. SC-SC PC SMF Singlemode Fiber Optic Adapter Coupler for TM MAxis Modem Patch Panel Single mode SM SC to SC
2. SC-SC Single Mode Fiber Optic Cable Patch Cord - 1M 2M 3M 5M 10M 9/125 SM SMF jumper 10G Gigabit SC/SC SC Unifi Maxis

Today just received FWS.
Coupler and Patch cable is now OTW
If they used APC my purchase will wasted. hmm... bye.gif
SUSCandy12
post Jun 1 2020, 08:57 PM

Regular
1,878 posts

QUOTE(Rainings @ Jun 1 2020, 08:55 PM)
Oh no..
I ordered this
1. SC-SC PC SMF Singlemode Fiber Optic Adapter Coupler for TM MAxis Modem Patch Panel Single mode SM SC to SC
2. SC-SC Single Mode Fiber Optic Cable Patch Cord - 1M 2M 3M 5M 10M 9/125 SM SMF jumper 10G Gigabit SC/SC SC Unifi Maxis

Today just received FWS.
Coupler and Patch cable is now OTW
If they used APC my purchase will wasted. hmm...  bye.gif
Mostly Unifi is using PC-type connector. But don't worry the 2 items under RM10 only right?
Rainings
post Jun 1 2020, 09:09 PM

Regular
1,019 posts

QUOTE(Candy12 @ Jun 1 2020, 08:57 PM)
Mostly Unifi is using PC-type connector. But don't worry the 2 items under RM10 only right?
1. Coupler x1 RM5
2. Patch cord 10m x1 RM7
This 2 items from same merchant with shipment total RM16.04

1. FWS x1 with shipment RM6.35

Sum all above total RM22.39

It is not expensive, just feel wasted if not suitable for installation. tongue.gif
SUSCandy12
post Jun 1 2020, 11:47 PM

Regular
1,878 posts

QUOTE(Rainings @ Jun 1 2020, 09:09 PM)
1. Coupler x1 RM5
2. Patch cord 10m x1 RM7
This 2 items from same merchant with shipment total RM16.04

1. FWS x1 with shipment RM6.35

Sum all above total RM22.39

It is not expensive, just feel wasted if not suitable for installation. tongue.gif
That amount can't even get you 2 cups of Starbucks while a proper FWS will get you a nice setup for years to come.

If you still feel wasted, ask for refund from the shop you ordered from saying it was wrongly ordered and did not fit the installation at your place.

Anyway you can also ask your neighbor who installed Unifi line, ask them if the connector is blue/green. If possible take a picture and send to the seller.

Rainings
post Jun 2 2020, 12:19 AM

Regular
1,019 posts

QUOTE(Candy12 @ Jun 1 2020, 11:47 PM)
That amount can't even get you 2 cups of Starbucks while a proper FWS will get you a nice setup for years to come.

If you still feel wasted, ask for refund from the shop you ordered from saying it was wrongly ordered and did not fit the installation at your place.

Anyway you can also ask your neighbor who installed Unifi line, ask them if the connector is blue/green. If possible take a picture and send to the seller.
is fine bro.. im not complaining.
No one get to install fiber yet, the street just newly install FDP.
i think on my street im the only one that demand for fiber. others house all retired and old folks.
still not sure which type of connecter they use.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0164sec    0.32    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:40 PM