Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> does your religion play a role in choosing your SO

views

TSBLKH3
post May 22 2020, 11:03 PM, updated 2w ago

Getting Started
125 posts

Does your religion play a role in choosing your SO?

I think Muslims are bound by Malaysian law to only marry Muslims but other religions are not governed by law but by spiritual books (Bible).

So for those non Muslims like Christians and Hindu, does your religion play a role in choosing your SO? I like to hear it.
Yggdrasil
post May 22 2020, 11:22 PM

Regular
1,456 posts

From what I've seen in Malaysia, religious Protestant Christians take Paul's command "Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers" in 2 Corinthians 6:14 as literal word of G-d that must be applied today.

This means marrying non-Christians is strictly forbidden. Some girls even go further and say they won't just marry a Christian man but he must be a G-dly man. I.e. must be super committed to the church, attends bible studies, preaches, go on missions etc.

Setting such a high requirement for their spouse means most of these women end up single even in their late 30s.

In Catholic Christianity, you see more mixed marriages. Catholic with Prostestant, Catholic with Hindus, etc. In some countries, even Catholic with Muslims.

These marriages are not encouraged but not forbidden because Catholics interpret Paul's command as only applicable to that particular time period. I.e. there was a strong competition for followers between Paul and other religions at that time. Imagine a Church and Temple fighting for followers.

However, a Catholic marrying a non-believer means the marriage is non-sacramental. It ultimately depends on how deeply religious the person is. Obviously, marrying people from different faiths will result in argument over which religion their children will follow.
TSBLKH3
post May 22 2020, 11:39 PM

Getting Started
125 posts

QUOTE(Yggdrasil @ May 22 2020, 11:22 PM)
From what I've seen in Malaysia, religious Protestant Christians take Paul's command "Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers" in 2 Corinthians 6:14 as literal word of G-d that must be applied today.

This means marrying non-Christians is strictly forbidden. Some girls even go further and say they won't just marry a Christian man but he must be a G-dly man. I.e. must be super committed to the church, attends bible studies, preaches, go on missions etc.

Setting such a high requirement for their spouse means most of these women end up single even in their late 30s.

In Catholic Christianity, you see more mixed marriages. Catholic with Prostestant, Catholic with Hindus, etc. In some countries, even Catholic with Muslims.

These marriages are not encouraged but not forbidden because Catholics interpret Paul's command as only applicable to that particular time period. I.e. there was a strong competition for followers between Paul and other religions at that time. Imagine a Church and Temple fighting for followers.

However, a Catholic marrying a non-believer means the marriage is non-sacramental. It ultimately depends on how deeply religious the person is. Obviously, marrying people from different faiths will result in argument over which religion their children will follow.
You speak enough Christianese to identify you as Christian. Are you?
Yggdrasil
post May 23 2020, 12:06 AM

Regular
1,456 posts

QUOTE(BLKH3 @ May 22 2020, 11:39 PM)
You speak enough Christianese to identify you as Christian. Are you?
Yup. Experienced both Protestantism and Catholicism.

This post has been edited by Yggdrasil: May 23 2020, 12:07 AM
HolyValkyrie
post Jun 1 2020, 04:04 PM

Getting Started
66 posts

For relationship between christian and non christian, either the non ends up joining christian or the relationship won't last even before marriage.

This post has been edited by HolyValkyrie: Jun 1 2020, 04:05 PM
chrisderick88
post Jun 1 2020, 11:57 PM

Getting Started
229 posts

QUOTE(BLKH3 @ May 22 2020, 11:03 PM)

I think Muslims are bound by Malaysian law to only marry Muslims but other religions are not governed by law but by spiritual books (Bible).

So for those non Muslims like Christians and Hindu, does your religion play a role in choosing your SO? I like to hear it.
religion fall under the greater umbrella of "belief". how can you marry someone which you have different belief from? dont get me wrong, it's possible for i dont know christian marries a hindu. but both must have the same level of believe and acceptance to others. (e.g. neither can be conservative etc)
Dr Doom
post Jun 1 2020, 11:59 PM

4 posts

Yes very2 important.
tekkaus
post Jun 2 2020, 12:00 AM

Getting Started
191 posts

We all need to be atheist.

Religions are dividing all of us in the whole wide world.

But then again that will mean we do not adhere to the Rukun Negara...
Maria Takagi
post Yesterday, 02:02 PM

Getting Started
176 posts

QUOTE(BLKH3 @ May 22 2020, 11:03 PM)

It depends

If your spouse not bother about religion, should be ok
but if your spouse active in religion.
that be like you can't do things together with your spouse
your spouse go to church/mosque and you don't follow, it be odd
unless is those once a year they go attend temple type of religion.

usually spouses always do things together.

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0193sec    0.89    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 4th June 2020 - 04:49 PM