Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

How to kill fungus in camera gears?, Most budget ways!

views

TSMichaelbyz23
post May 7 2020, 12:09 PM, updated 4y ago

Sarawak Maju Makmur
4,541 posts

Hello guys,

The easiest way to kill fungus in camera gears is to sun bath them for about 5 minutes, maybe do it once a year, aside from storing them in a dry box.
But if you have budget, you may invest in a UV light. Or if you are a frequent traveler, having your gears scanned through xray machine at the airport security scan helps too.
Have fun sunbathing!

Blog

user posted image

This post has been edited by Michaelbyz23: May 7 2020, 12:10 PM
Loseeker
post May 7 2020, 01:40 PM

Apa Macam
872 posts

I sunbath my lenses almost everyday : )
TSMichaelbyz23
post May 7 2020, 05:47 PM

Sarawak Maju Makmur
4,541 posts

QUOTE(Loseeker @ May 7 2020, 01:40 PM)
I sunbath my lenses almost everyday : )
That's really nice. Haha, you intentionally or unintentionally sunbath them?

Loseeker
post May 7 2020, 11:51 PM

Apa Macam
872 posts

QUOTE(Michaelbyz23 @ May 7 2020, 05:47 PM)
That's really nice. Haha, you intentionally or unintentionally sunbath them?
Haha, when it comes to protecting my gears, I kiasu a bit whistling.gif . Not only that I've put all my lenses in the drybox, I also place the drybox to face the window. At evening, some of the sunlight will shine into the drybox. Evening sun not so strong, but strong enough to kill any mole. nod.gif
TSMichaelbyz23
post May 8 2020, 09:39 AM

Sarawak Maju Makmur
4,541 posts

QUOTE(Loseeker @ May 7 2020, 11:51 PM)
Haha, when it comes to protecting my gears, I kiasu a bit  whistling.gif . Not only that I've put all my lenses in the drybox, I also place the drybox to face the window. At evening, some of the sunlight will shine into the drybox. Evening sun not so strong, but strong enough to kill any mole.  nod.gif
I see, like that confirm no mold d. Actually the best way to kill fungus is to prevent it from spawning. Once spawned, very hassle already. If no remove it for few months, it may eat into your lens element, end up after professional cleaning you may still see stains our outline of the fungus.
Anyways, keep shooting bro! 1 more week to go!
rebornyama
post May 17 2020, 01:04 AM

Getting Started
57 posts

I got two fungus infested lens, one kept in an airtight tupperware box with an old slr.

The other lens is kept in a cupboard, also got fungus, but at a lesser scale compared to the one above. Trying to clean this one up, since the dissasembly seems fairly simple.

Both lenses are attached to a body. Weirdly enough, my 50mm 1.8 kept next to the cupboard lens seems fine. I've since left my 50mm on my desk with plenty of sunlight, but now i have to deal with a dusty camera+lens.

For fungus prevention purpose, is a drybox absolutely necessary? Does it work?

TSMichaelbyz23
post May 17 2020, 06:15 PM

Sarawak Maju Makmur
4,541 posts

QUOTE(rebornyama @ May 17 2020, 01:04 AM)
I got two fungus infested lens, one kept in an airtight tupperware box with an old slr.

The other lens is kept in a cupboard, also got fungus, but at a lesser scale compared to the one above. Trying to clean this one up, since the dissasembly seems fairly simple. 

Both lenses are attached to a body. Weirdly enough, my 50mm 1.8 kept next to the cupboard lens seems fine. I've since left my 50mm on my desk with plenty of sunlight, but now i have to deal with a dusty camera+lens.

Drybox definitely work. I'd recommend you to get one proper one if you have lots of gears. Make sure the humidity is around 45%.
I have been using my Drybox for over 7 years and still working, 0 fungus in my lens and camera.
But if you noticed some fungus in your lens already, better have them cleaned. So they don't spread to your camera when you attach them. Once in a while, maybe a year once you can sunbath them for 5 minutes. UV light kills fungus effectively. But if you have budget you can invest in B+W UV light designed for dslr and lenses.

Pro tip, do not use those dehumidifier like thirsty hippo in your airtight container. It will dry up your gears internal grease, rubber gaskets and rubber zoom rings.

This post has been edited by Michaelbyz23: May 17 2020, 06:18 PM
Just2centslah
post May 17 2020, 09:58 PM

Getting Started
245 posts

QUOTE(Michaelbyz23 @ May 17 2020, 06:15 PM)
Drybox definitely work. I'd recommend you to get one proper one if you have lots of gears. Make sure the humidity is around 45%.
I have been using my Drybox for over 7 years and still working, 0 fungus in my lens and camera.
But if you noticed some fungus in your lens already, better have them cleaned. So they don't spread to your camera when you attach them. Once in a while, maybe a year once you can sunbath them for 5 minutes. UV light kills fungus effectively. But if you have budget you can invest in B+W UV light designed for dslr and lenses.

Pro tip, do not use those dehumidifier like thirsty hippo in your airtight container. It will dry up your gears internal grease, rubber gaskets and rubber zoom rings.
What type of dry box do you have? I searched on Amazon. Price range $80-$400. But when imported, should be tax and DHL delivery.

TSMichaelbyz23
post May 17 2020, 10:27 PM

Sarawak Maju Makmur
4,541 posts

QUOTE(Just2centslah @ May 17 2020, 09:58 PM)
What type of dry box do you have? I searched on Amazon. Price range $80-$400. But when imported, should be tax and DHL delivery.
If you are in Malaysia, just buy from your local camera store. Its heavy and bulky, shipping would cost alot.
I'm using sundry brand dry box
Just2centslah
post May 18 2020, 06:05 PM

Getting Started
245 posts

QUOTE(Michaelbyz23 @ May 17 2020, 10:27 PM)
If you are in Malaysia, just buy from your local camera store. Its heavy and bulky, shipping would cost alot.
I'm using sundry brand dry box
Will check it out. Thank you so much!
ben_ang
post May 18 2020, 06:08 PM

ITS JINX NOW.POWDER FELL DOWN A WELL
2,004 posts

gonna check on my lens, been in sealed box beside the windows which got abit sun light in. the dehumidifier is not working anymore, need recharge.
TSMichaelbyz23
post May 18 2020, 09:48 PM

Sarawak Maju Makmur
4,541 posts

QUOTE(ben_ang @ May 18 2020, 06:08 PM)
gonna check on my lens, been in sealed box beside the windows which got abit sun light in. the dehumidifier is not working anymore, need recharge.
Sealed inside box, transparent?
Better check to see if got any fungus inside.
LYNsucks
post May 19 2020, 11:25 PM

Getting Started
188 posts

QUOTE(rebornyama @ May 17 2020, 01:04 AM)

Dry box definitely works in preventing growth of mold. I bought one Aipo brand dry box few years back. Although I don't own any camera gears, I stored some of my flashlight and other gears in the dry box. Some flashlights have a layer of anti reflective coating on the lens, so it will give a purple-ish hue when viewed at a certain angle, just like camera lens. Those flashlights which are stored in the dry box will remain fine yet those I left in the open air will develop mold over time. So sometimes I will wipe the flashlights' lens when spot of mold starts to sprout. The same goes to disc based media as well. The UMD, when left in PSP, fungus will start to thrive on them too. So I just keep some disc in the dry box. Too bad I can't stuff all of them into the box.

For humidity setting, I just keep it at 48% is good enough. I put it at 40% before and feel that might be too dry, which, might dry up the grease in the o-ring in some gears.

With humidity issue out of the way, there is still one issue for me though: heat. The gameboy I stored in the dry box had developed a black spot in the middle of the screen. The temperature in my room is hot, so the electronic gear stored in the dry box will deteriorate faster over time. Keeping the air con on for 24/7 is impractical, so I will have to come up with a cooling solution for my dry box.

QUOTE(Just2centslah @ May 17 2020, 09:58 PM)
Just buy from local store is good enough. For starter, you can search for "dry cabinet" on Shashinki or Shopee.
TSMichaelbyz23
post May 20 2020, 09:40 AM

Sarawak Maju Makmur
4,541 posts

QUOTE(LYNsucks @ May 19 2020, 11:25 PM)
Dry box definitely works in preventing growth of mold. I bought one Aipo brand dry box few years back. Although I don't own any camera gears, I stored some of my flashlight and other gears in the dry box. Some flashlights have a layer of anti reflective coating on the lens, so it will give a purple-ish hue when viewed at a certain angle, just like camera lens. Those flashlights which are stored in the dry box will remain fine yet those I left in the open air will develop mold over time. So sometimes I will wipe the flashlights' lens when spot of mold starts to sprout. The same goes to disc based media as well. The UMD, when left in PSP, fungus will start to thrive on them too. So I just keep some disc in the dry box. Too bad I can't stuff all of them into the box.

For humidity setting, I just keep it at 48% is good enough. I put it at 40% before and feel that might be too dry, which, might dry up the grease in the o-ring in some gears.

With humidity issue out of the way, there is still one issue for me though: heat. The gameboy I stored in the dry box had developed a black spot in the middle of the screen. The temperature in my room is hot, so the electronic gear stored in the dry box will deteriorate faster over time. Keeping the air con on for 24/7 is impractical, so I will have to come up with a cooling solution for my dry box.
Just buy from local store is good enough. For starter, you can search for "dry cabinet" on Shashinki or Shopee.
Yeap! Drybox can also be used for other stuffs. Such as your luxury leather bags too. Or important old documents that need to be kept at optimum humidity.
For the past 2 months, many things in my wardrobe grow mouldy, including clothes, because seldom wear. So, avoid keeping your camera gears and electronics with cloths in the wardrobe.
Just2centslah
post May 20 2020, 01:25 PM

Getting Started
245 posts

QUOTE(LYNsucks @ May 19 2020, 11:25 PM)
Thanks. The smallest one is about rm250. thumbsup.gif
mohdhalimmm
post May 22 2020, 03:34 PM

Getting Started
50 posts

QUOTE(Loseeker @ May 7 2020, 11:51 PM)
Haha, when it comes to protecting my gears, I kiasu a bit  whistling.gif . Not only that I've put all my lenses in the drybox, I also place the drybox to face the window. At evening, some of the sunlight will shine into the drybox. Evening sun not so strong, but strong enough to kill any mole.  nod.gif
This is a good tip! Facing the drybox to the window. Shall try it out
TSMichaelbyz23
post May 22 2020, 04:22 PM

Sarawak Maju Makmur
4,541 posts

QUOTE(mohdhalimmm @ May 22 2020, 03:34 PM)
This is a good tip! Facing the drybox to the window. Shall try it out
Dont forget to remove your UV filter once in a while to let UV light penetrate through the lens element.
mohdhalimmm
post May 27 2020, 02:27 PM

Getting Started
50 posts

QUOTE(Michaelbyz23 @ May 22 2020, 04:22 PM)
Dont forget to remove your UV filter once in a while to let UV light penetrate through the lens element.
Oh yes! Thanks for the reminder.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0153sec    0.38    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:02 PM