Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Recommended Amplifier, for ProAc Tablette Anniversary

views

TSuniquexme
post May 1 2020, 10:59 AM, updated 4y ago

Enthusiast
836 posts

Greatly appreciate if anyone here with ProAc Tablette Anniversary speakers recommend a few matching amplifiers as my Naim Uniti2 doesn't seem to be delivering enough power to drive them to their full potential.

Naim Uniti 2 amp section : 70W per channel into 8 ohm
ProAc Tablette Anniversary : Impedance - 8 ohm, Recommended Amplifier - 10W to 120W

voscar
post May 1 2020, 04:56 PM

Regular
1,458 posts

QUOTE(uniquexme @ May 1 2020, 10:59 AM)
Greatly appreciate if anyone here with ProAc Tablette Anniversary speakers recommend a few matching amplifiers as my Naim Uniti2 doesn't seem to be delivering enough power to drive them to their full potential.

ProAc Tablette Anniversary : Impedance - 8 ohm, Recommended Amplifier - 10W to 120W
Define what is "full potential"? Not loud enough? How big your room? confused.gif
TSuniquexme
post May 1 2020, 05:49 PM

Enthusiast
836 posts

QUOTE(voscar @ May 1 2020, 04:56 PM)
Define what is "full potential"? Not loud enough? How big your room? confused.gif
normal average size room of normal semi-d house. coz i remember when i first audit this many years ago at hifi shop it sound really awesome. but when i bring home its like ok. or do u think it might be due to the room acoustics rather than the amplifier? need to install those foam panels?
ktek
post May 1 2020, 06:20 PM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,541 posts

i guess you want to produce very open kind of sound. try to recall how did the shop setup toe angle, wall distance, amplifier running, song.
jimbet1337
post May 5 2020, 10:03 AM

meh
2,391 posts

QUOTE(uniquexme @ May 1 2020, 10:59 AM)

ProAc is known for being power hungry. I was using Marantz PM KI Pearl Lite amp (70watt into 8 ohm) with ProAc Tablette 2000. Not to say the Marantz is incapable, I actually enjoyed it for few years, very musical, but lacks abit at bottom end. I upgraded to Musical Fidelity M6i amp (200watt into 8 ohm) and my Tablette really sings, even at low volume. Small things I observed that the M6i is quite direct/in your face type and the KI Pearl Lite is quite lay back and more musical. Since you're a Naim fan, try to audition Supernait line-up with your Tablette and see.
TSuniquexme
post May 5 2020, 08:00 PM

Enthusiast
836 posts

QUOTE(jimbet1337 @ May 5 2020, 10:03 AM)
ProAc is known for being power hungry. I was using Marantz PM KI Pearl Lite amp (70watt into 8 ohm) with ProAc Tablette 2000. Not to say the Marantz is incapable, I actually enjoyed it for few years, very musical, but lacks abit at bottom end. I upgraded to Musical Fidelity M6i amp (200watt into 8 ohm) and my Tablette really sings, even at low volume. Small things I observed that the M6i is quite direct/in your face type and the KI Pearl Lite is quite lay back and more musical. Since you're a Naim fan, try to audition Supernait line-up with your Tablette and see.
That’s exactly what I mean just I dunno how to describe in words. Just by its name supernait it already sound expensive lolz. I am not actually Naim fan just somehow at that time my budget only allow me to get this set.

After researching and much thought I think I shall proceed with acoustic treatments first. Read up on quite a few sites and now I fully understand the importance of absorption panel and bass trap. Can’t find any solid info or recommendations on diffuser panels though most said put at rear wall, some said front wall behind speakers (but most recommend absorption panel here) while some said at first reflection points. Anyway if room acoustics is bad, no matter how expensive or good the gear is they will not sound good. Only come to realize this after so many years but it’s still not too late.

Btw may I ask usually let’s say if hifi not in use for long time, is there anything to look out for or take note of? Somehow I m worried that the speaker membrane might become loose or broke.
nagasakti70
post Jun 4 2020, 04:31 PM

Getting Started
130 posts

room acoustic treatment did improve a lot especially the noise of annoying echo reflex
power911
post Jun 4 2020, 05:57 PM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

QUOTE(uniquexme @ May 5 2020, 09:00 PM)
That’s exactly what I mean just I dunno how to describe in words. Just by its name supernait it already sound expensive lolz. I am not actually Naim fan just somehow at that time my budget only allow me to get this set.

After researching and much thought I think I shall proceed with acoustic treatments first. Read up on quite a few sites and now I fully understand the importance of absorption panel and bass trap. Can’t find any solid info or recommendations on diffuser panels though most said put at rear wall, some said front wall behind speakers (but most recommend absorption panel here) while some said at first reflection points. Anyway if room acoustics is bad, no matter how expensive or good the gear is they will not sound good. Only come to realize this after so many years but it’s still not too late.

Btw may I ask usually let’s say if hifi not in use for long time, is there anything to look out for or take note of? Somehow I m worried that the speaker membrane might become loose or broke.
Quick and easy room treatment is to use thick curtains as a start to demo. I hang my thick blankets to demo if it is worth or not. Can't really trap bass but can remove annoying mid high comb filter cancellations. Use a mirror and a helping friend as a guide to see where are the possible reflection points.

Don't even bother lazada shopee 12 pack studio foam. those 1-2" foam did nothing other than visually good. Auralex or some "branded" foam will do noticeable cuts because their 3" foam are designed properly. Better if you can custom build soundpanels made from those insulating rockwool or something.
Usually people put rear wall directly behind you to absorb rear reflections. But angling speaker is more important so the reflection shoot somewhere else and not back to ears. The common triangle method is everywhere as a guide.
This includes how some people put higher or lower than ear level to point ear and reflect away instead of ear level just to avoid reflections.

As for keeping speaker, putting it back in box and keeping it in store is the best method.
You can use dry box or those water absorption thirsty hippo stuff but those require maintenance and monitoring in case it gets too dry. Have to be hardworking a bit. Usual "do not put under rain or sun" applies here.
It's similar to keeping acoustic guitar methods but speakers are more robust.

Amp just as long as water, insects or dust don't get inside then ok already
A.B.D.
post Jun 5 2020, 11:42 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,317 posts

QUOTE(uniquexme @ May 5 2020, 08:00 PM)

curious to know what treatment you finally did and if there is improvement.

personally i have experienced speakers kept in storage for more than 5 years. after using it again the sound is blurred and takes about a week of playing music to sound like it did before. not so noticeable for stereo amplifier in storage for 1-2 years.

your equipment are high end so it should sound very good with the right room, speaker placement and seating position.
kevinlim001
post Jun 5 2020, 11:48 AM

Ethical Hacker
6,118 posts

proarc is very hard to push.. might need to consider more powerful amp..
the sensitivity rating also around 86.5db only..

u can go with naim first then consider biamp later as an upgrade..

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0134sec    0.16    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:34 PM