Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Enquiries/Recommendations [Reference] Notebook Buying Guide, for those who are clueless

views

TSgoldfries
post Jul 26 2007, 10:02 PM, updated 6y ago

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

I hereby present to you......

user posted image

Notebook Buying Guide : A Simple Approach
Notebook Buying Guide : A Technical Approach

The article will evolve as necessary. Feel free to chip in ideas or whatever you think that can improve the guide.

Thank you.
steve2895
post Jul 27 2007, 12:02 AM

On my way
537 posts

really a good guide for those beginner for notebook.. but unfortunely, most ppl the ppl like other ppl feed them... hopefully they can fully use this guide.. thx man.. is really a good job!
Gaza
post Jul 27 2007, 02:21 AM

Casual
474 posts

QUOTE(steve2895 @ Jul 27 2007, 12:02 AM)
really a good guide for those beginner for notebook.. but unfortunely, most ppl the ppl like other ppl feed them... hopefully they can fully use this guide.. thx man.. is really a good job!
Haha, i wholly agree! Easier for people to digest facts if it's from word of mouth compared to a page of text. tongue.gif I'll go through the links a bit before i go to bed.. smile.gif

Edit: It certainly was an entertaining read and easy to understand. Some comments? smile.gif In the simple approach, maybe you could list the heading of purpose, price, etc 1st before indulging in the explanations? Also, in the technical approach, it feels like the article is targeted towards people who don't intend to use multimedia/gaming capabilities of laptops. I think a fine word of advise, especially in the CPU section would be; if you really want the performance, get the 2nd best, it not worth the premium you pay "just to have the best". Just my 2 cents, hehe. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Gaza: Jul 27 2007, 02:32 AM
TSgoldfries
post Jul 27 2007, 06:49 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

QUOTE(Gaza @ Jul 27 2007, 02:21 AM)
Edit: It certainly was an entertaining read and easy to understand. Some comments? smile.gif In the simple approach, maybe you could list the heading of purpose, price, etc 1st before indulging in the explanations?

i like this.

QUOTE(Gaza @ Jul 27 2007, 02:21 AM)
Also, in the technical approach, it feels like the article is targeted towards people who don't intend to use multimedia/gaming capabilities of laptops. I think a fine word of advise, especially in the CPU section would be; if you really want the performance, get the 2nd best, it not worth the premium you pay "just to have the best". Just my 2 cents, hehe. smile.gif

but i have no idea about this. just to pay for the highest end la in short. smile.gif

lejoant
post Jul 27 2007, 08:28 AM

Getting Started
160 posts

even the highest end wont last long...
instead of spending 10k on a notebook in one shot, why not spend 5k for a notebook that can lasts at least 2 years and then buy a new one after that tongue.gif
TSgoldfries
post Jul 27 2007, 02:45 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

10k on notebook just isn't worth it. it costs 2x more than a 5k notebook but doesn't last twice as long. smile.gif

EDITED : and yeah, you don't get 2x the performance either.

This post has been edited by goldfries: Jul 27 2007, 02:46 PM
prasys
post Jul 27 2007, 07:25 PM

Heros Never Die
Group Icon
VIP
12,925 posts

Turned into a Sticky
vit
post Jul 28 2007, 02:28 AM

Getting Started
145 posts

A very useful one! Thanks for sharing!

danixal
post Jul 31 2007, 09:44 PM

Getting Started
66 posts

maybe you can add a bit more on battery life? i was just reading bout it the other day about stuff u can do to increase the batt life. Having more RAM on your laptop for example, so you wont have to access the HDD as much
TSgoldfries
post Aug 3 2007, 12:17 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

QUOTE(danixal @ Jul 31 2007, 09:44 PM)
maybe you can add a bit more on battery life? i was just reading bout it the other day about stuff u can do to increase the batt life. Having more RAM on your laptop for example, so you wont have to access the HDD as much
ahh. that's a seriously good point.

but HDD access also depending on application. so boils down to whether the cost of additional RAM justifies.

i still think it's good to get a step upgrade in RAM la.
derred
post Aug 3 2007, 12:50 PM

alienated
1,238 posts

I was saving my post count to keep it "555" by PMing every time I want to reply to anyone, but F it.

As I read thru everything, it comes to my mind to write a whole new idea for notebook buying guide, but i just couldnt find myself a good long time to sit down and write.

As you good in what u r doing, I greatly appreciate any suggestions that I can do progressively, building towards my future to-be notebook buying guide.
TSgoldfries
post Aug 6 2007, 08:19 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

and i hope your guide will contribute even more to the cause of stopping people from asking "what notebook to buy ah?" without even considering the available options. smile.gif

it's like go into a shop and ask "what shoe to buy ah?" smile.gif it's a matter of understanding purpose and preference, unfortunately people here like to be spoon-fed.

it's when you give them the model then you'll see stuff like......
1. oh this brand i don't want la, logo ugly
2. this brand my auntie's uncle's daughter's nephew say no good - basket if you want to listen to that guy then waffor you ask here?
3. i prefer X processor
4. the looks not so nice la. i want grey color, thin like pancake but below RM 3k.

yadayadayada........ humans..........
derred
post Aug 7 2007, 03:48 AM

alienated
1,238 posts

exactly, i need like alot of times for this so it's gonna be awhile. I hope my approach will cover that. Good suggestion thanks. I hate repetition so that the purpose im writing it. Just like you smile.gif

That is definitely true. Usually those spoon-fed want to be spoon-fed for everything. Let alone choosing a laptop. Sometimes daddy even willing to pay for everything also lazy just to even choose. Losers.
tracyjz
post Sep 8 2007, 07:10 PM

-Jay Jay-
1,059 posts

o.o
how to check the laptop is all come form org items and accs?
maiyorneese
post Sep 19 2007, 05:45 PM

Getting Started
54 posts

nice...
u make me think twice b4 i buy the new lappy
thanks dude!!
basdo
post Sep 22 2007, 11:05 AM

Getting Started
60 posts

is there any tips to buying dell laptop? wat r the difference between buying form dell direct or from other sellers that u see in the garage sell?
d@n
post Sep 22 2007, 11:10 AM

Casual
307 posts

QUOTE(basdo @ Sep 22 2007, 12:05 PM)
is there any tips to buying dell laptop? wat r the difference between buying form dell direct or from other sellers that u see in the garage sell?
u mean dell brand buy from garage sell???
fariq_azad
post Oct 18 2007, 12:06 PM

ReTrO RoCkS!!!!
917 posts

may I also Add that one should also consider Battery life as more battery life means more portability
Gui Gui
post Jan 2 2008, 03:12 PM

9 posts

hope tat u can help me wit it. wat is the cheapest price to get a Dell M1330 T7300 online? and the price for M1330-2Ghz is how much. If comparing Dell M1330 to Asus Z99 (refer to the 2Ghz model)and to HP DV2715TX, which model is better?

i hv around 3.5k budget, wan to get a loptop above 2.0Ghz wit at least 2G ram because i need to do Matlab simulations. i do play games, like CS, Dota.... but however since i need it for simulations, so i stress more on high performance laptops. Slow laptops will keep me waiting long time to wait for executing simulations. Good graphics will be an additional value to the laptop i buy.

Overall, i need is a good performance and stable laptop, but having good graphics at the same time, it's a credit. can u suggest any laptop for my requirements wit around Rm3.5K and meet my requirements. TQ
shazril1984
post Jan 3 2008, 12:47 PM

7 posts

I prefer IBM, is there any tips can share?

19 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0161sec    0.20    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:33 PM