Apple Homekit Discussion Thread, Your Home At Your Command

views

Feliex
post Dec 20 2021, 10:09 AM

Enthusiast
729 posts

QUOTE(Muntz @ Nov 14 2021, 03:01 PM)
user posted image

I'm using a mix of Aqara, meross, sensibo, aweet, xiaomi & Yeelight, with Aqara being the biggest of them all.

Since that my house is 2 storey, I use 2 aqara hubs for each floor. I use aqara hub with door sensors, wall switches, motion sensors, CCTV, security and lightbulb.

For Yeelight, I use it for LED strip. For Meross, I use it for smart socket to control fan and wall-plugged lights.

Sensibo and Aweet btw, don't integrate with Home. It only can be controlled from their own apps, with shortcut can be easily created to automate.

I use xiaomi in two different phones. One is set to Chinese region to control my Aqara door lock, and another one set to Malaysia for robot vaccuum. Weird, but yes, I don't think it can be merged due to different region commercial legal reasons.

Oh ya, also homepods and Apple TV as a hub.

The pros with Aqara:
- diverse choice of accessories to choose from
- relatively cheap compared to many Apple homekits out there
- batteries for all sensors can last quite long. I've been using it for a year already and the battery still left around 65-70%.

The cons with Aqara:
- the region has to be set to Chinese. So it's a big con for ppl who cannot understand Chinese. What I do is I ask my Chinese friend to install it for me, then he will change the language to English to make it easy for me to configure. However the configuration in English can be a bit challenging due to incorrect translation.
- Expect it to be offline or no response displayed frequently due to overwhelming 2.4GHz wifi use.
- If ur house is spacious or got different stories, buy more hubs. But ensure your wifi to be strong enough to reach all places.
Hi, Boss want to asking if I already Apple TV 4K (1st generation) am I need to buy aqara hub as well or just use Apple TV 4K (1st generation) homekit to control?
I plan to use aqara switch to manage my light, fan & auto gate, it is possible?

Any Sifu here can get me a suggestion/recommendation? I'm appreciate!
user posted image

This post has been edited by Feliex: Dec 20 2021, 03:10 PM
Feliex
post Dec 23 2021, 11:48 AM

Enthusiast
729 posts

QUOTE(tcwan @ Dec 21 2021, 03:23 PM)
To connect Aqara devices to Homekit, you will need the Aqara Hub.

Only AppleTV 4K (2021) with Thread-enabled devices can work without any extra hub.

Currently we don't have anything like that available in this part of the world.
Thanks, Man, btw Is 1 unit AQARA hub enough for my whole house?
Feliex
post Jan 14 2022, 10:19 AM

Enthusiast
729 posts

QUOTE(tcwan @ Dec 23 2021, 04:10 PM)
Are you wall switches with neutral wire or without?

With-neutral wall switches can act as repeater to forward messages.
Without neutral cannot. Some newer devices like the camera can also act as repeater or hub (but limited support for sensors).

This is from the Aqara M1S Page (should be similar to M2)
The range depends on many factors. Most important is whether there are walls or partitions in between the hub and the devices. In my experience, at most the distance is 10 m for reliable connection without walls, less through walls (assuming no repeaters).

Oh, also be careful about the loading on the switches. High load like Heaters definitely not possible to connect to the smart switches. Each switch can only take 5-6 A max (best case, I don't use Aqara switches so I don't remember the spec).

Even analog fans (~100W) are not advisable due to the loading factor, but so far I've been using DC fans with my Terncy switches without any issues.
Your autogate will need some additional setup to make it work due to the motor requiring high current. Sorry I can't advise but I think someone may have posted before on this issue.
I have been getting, hopefully not got burned and normal to use.

user posted image

all my Switch is including 1 fan (dc & ac) and eyeball (7watt & 8watt) with neutral wire all.

While Air-condition planning to take Sensibo air (since I have no idea now)

This post has been edited by Feliex: Jan 14 2022, 10:24 AM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0272sec    0.23    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:18 AM