Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Why multiple VMs on a server?

views

malleus
post Apr 7 2020, 11:27 AM

Regular
1,459 posts

before looking at virtualisation, try asking yourself, for example a service that you want to set up. It will consist of the application itself, very likely a database server, maybe other stuff for caching and maybe storing files?

So the question is, do you want to set all these up in a single server? or do you want to split them up into multiple servers?

Then, let's say, you have 2 web applications that you want to host at home. Do you want to install both on the same server? or do you want to split them up so they'll be easier to manage, and will not end up effecting each other if you happen to update dependencies for one of them.

With this in mind, if you decide to split up the servers, with virtualisation, it allows you to run everything in a single physical machine.

As for how you are going to access the installed OS, that depends on your network setup. on if your VMs are host only, or are they given individual IP addresses on your network
malleus
post Apr 7 2020, 02:12 PM

Regular
1,459 posts

QUOTE(hahakim @ Apr 7 2020, 01:50 PM)
So basically here my case of use in general (as of now):
- for file sharing, media streaming etc.
- running and tinkering with different os

My plan is to run virtualbox with:
- freenas in VM (for storage management, media streaming)
- ubuntu (torrent, downloads, anonymity purposes n yadayada)
I dont quite get it with how to access the virtualbox actually. If i put the server in different room, am i able to remote access those VMs (freenas & ubuntu) with my pc or my laptop at living room? If yes, how the experience be like? I never try remote access before

I havent tried anything yet bcause i want to plan first how the server is going to be set up, and build it on 'solid' foundation.
Dont want to install much stuff if I happen to upgrade it in future.

Btw is virtualbox good for managing the VMs and having them remote access?
Not fond of windows or ubuntu server for the extra heavy resources and proprietary software.
As long as you have a network accessible IP address assigned to each VM, you just access the VM like you would with any other physical machine on your network.

Virtualbox is a good start, as its free. But if you're looking for something with more features, you can probably look at something like vmware later.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0162sec    0.64    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 21st October 2020 - 12:53 AM