Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Why multiple VMs on a server?

views

ahlooii
post Jul 29 2020, 04:13 PM

18 posts

QUOTE(edex @ Apr 7 2020, 02:04 PM)
Based on your requirement, better u run Unraid.
U can run jellyfin/plex for ur media streaming. torrent cliend also available.
search youtube for unraid. alot of example there.

u can ask me if u have question.

Now i'm running server with celeron j1800i, 8GB ram, 2TB parity disk and 1.5 TB data. Power usage about 15watt

user posted image
Shit, this built is stealth as hell, is it holding up okay? I am planning something like that. As my old 4th gen i5 is drinking my tnb bill. haha. What have you hosted on your unraid?

I hosted mine with
Steam Library
Nextcloud
Bitwarden password manager
Steamcache 
Pihole Adblock
Reverse proxy
Dokuwiki
Duplicati
Jellyfin
Sonarr
Radarr

Do you do video steaming on them? if yes on what bitrate or res you playing? Transcode or without?

Because i saw new gen celeron can handle 4k pretty well but im still curious the ability of 15w TDP although with the help of Intel Quick Sync.
ahlooii
post Jul 29 2020, 04:17 PM

18 posts

QUOTE(hahakim @ Apr 7 2020, 01:50 PM)
So basically here my case of use in general (as of now):
- for file sharing, media streaming etc.
- running and tinkering with different os

My plan is to run virtualbox with:
- freenas in VM (for storage management, media streaming)
- ubuntu (torrent, downloads, anonymity purposes n yadayada)
I dont quite get it with how to access the virtualbox actually. If i put the server in different room, am i able to remote access those VMs (freenas & ubuntu) with my pc or my laptop at living room? If yes, how the experience be like? I never try remote access before

I havent tried anything yet bcause i want to plan first how the server is going to be set up, and build it on 'solid' foundation.
Dont want to install much stuff if I happen to upgrade it in future.

Btw is virtualbox good for managing the VMs and having them remote access?
Not fond of windows or ubuntu server for the extra heavy resources and proprietary software.
So how's your journey of setting all those up? x)

But from your objective of being able to (storage management, media streams, torrent), you can basically done all these with any linux distro either in headless server or if you refer UI maybe just install ubuntu then add in other features like SMB + Nextcloud for storage management, Plex/Emby/Jellyfin For media streams and transmission-daemon for web torrenting.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0194sec    0.97    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 26th September 2020 - 09:44 PM