Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Why multiple VMs on a server?

views

Two5Kid
post Jul 6 2020, 06:36 PM

On my way
628 posts

Anyone here familiar with Proxmox? I intend to use it as daily driver to load a Pop OS and a macOS concurrently. I'm trying to figure out what is the optimal storage setup needed for this to run, if I'm using a normal ATX motherboard.
Two5Kid
post Feb 1 2021, 11:37 AM

On my way
628 posts

QUOTE(quadcube @ Jan 30 2021, 05:49 PM)
planning to migrate my setup on Mac mini to a more powerful Xeon server. Planning to use Proxmox to run macOS, windows, etc. like my current setup. Can share your experiences with setting up proxmox for your application?
Sorry my friend, but MCO ruined the chances of me getting the parts, will try again later this year (hopefully). But based on my research it is doable, the easiest path would be to find a compatible GPU for the macOS and also to have 2 GPUs, one each for the VMs that you intend to boot concurrently. Can have a look at nicksherlock.com for his Proxmox macOS Hackintosh.
Two5Kid
post Feb 5 2021, 06:55 PM

On my way
628 posts

QUOTE(quadcube @ Feb 5 2021, 03:13 PM)
no worries! I managed to get Big Sur 11.2 on my Proxmox 6.3-2. Hardware is a Supermicro mobo with a Xeon E5-2697v2. No external GPU/iGPU.
as long no crazy animation like launching Launchpad, it works just fine over NoMachine remote desktop biggrin.gif
This is really impressive, you only using it for work? I just can't seem to ditch Mac (cause the original is getting too expensive), so am aiming to get a Hackintosh and game on the side. The only drawback is this MCO and the lack of stock for the GPUs (their prices still too high for my liking). But no worries, slow and steady. More time to research. How would you rate the ease of using Proxmox on a scale of 10?
Two5Kid
post Feb 7 2021, 10:11 AM

On my way
628 posts

QUOTE(quadcube @ Feb 5 2021, 11:19 PM)
Ah, it’s actually to support all the network services (nginx proxy, web hosting, DNS sinkhole, caching, backup, thin-client environment, etc.) at home laugh.gif
I setup the macOS VM mainly for my home’s content cache server (for apple services, iOS updates, etc.), have around 13 apple devices at home laugh.gif

Yea, full spec ones are really exp where the same money can be used to build a pretty sick machine. This is my first time setting up hackintosh, lots of things to fix to get it to work properly.

Talking about the ease of use for Proxmox, I really couldn’t digest it at first, especially Proxmox way of handling disk/partition type/content, it took me 4 re-install of Proxmox to finally setup my disc partition correctly (single disk setup) laugh.gif after spending a day with it, I would say it’s easy to use and convenient, initial learning curve is very steep though (also due to the way I set it up, which all of the tutorials go for multi disk ZFS, etc.). Initially I would rate it at probably 3/10, after one day of tinkering with it, 8/10
Nice. So you're running Proxmox of one SSD? Are you passing through any HD for the macOS? Cause my research says, we can put in all on the same Proxmox install but baremetal speed is much better if we passthrough the HD for the OS that we need. I have only Hackintosh-ed a laptop before and that was crazy, need to make sure the laptop came with the right specs. But yeah, it was well worth it. A MacBook Pro-ish for RM3k with CD Drive. Hahaha!

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0199sec    0.43    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd October 2021 - 10:06 PM