> Why multiple VMs on a server?

views

HuorEarfalas
post May 12 2020, 10:19 PM

Casual
322 posts

QUOTE(hahakim @ Apr 7 2020, 02:50 PM)
So basically here my case of use in general (as of now):
- for file sharing, media streaming etc.
- running and tinkering with different os

My plan is to run virtualbox with:
- freenas in VM (for storage management, media streaming)
- ubuntu (torrent, downloads, anonymity purposes n yadayada)
I dont quite get it with how to access the virtualbox actually. If i put the server in different room, am i able to remote access those VMs (freenas & ubuntu) with my pc or my laptop at living room? If yes, how the experience be like? I never try remote access before

I havent tried anything yet bcause i want to plan first how the server is going to be set up, and build it on 'solid' foundation.
Dont want to install much stuff if I happen to upgrade it in future.

Btw is virtualbox good for managing the VMs and having them remote access?
Not fond of windows or ubuntu server for the extra heavy resources and proprietary software.
Are you running a separate physical server from your PC, or your PC is THE server??

I don't like running a server on my daily windows PC.. that's just me..

If you have a separate server, try PROXMOX or XCP-NG... I'm using XCP-NG, works great. I haven't tried PROXMOX, but I've heard good things about it

This post has been edited by HuorEarfalas: May 12 2020, 10:20 PM
HuorEarfalas
post May 14 2020, 11:42 AM

Casual
322 posts

QUOTE(hahakim @ May 14 2020, 11:03 AM)
Currently I'm running freenas
For bare metal os i only tried esxi and virtualbox, am planning to build on esxi later. Haven't tried proxmox or xcpng yet, but will give them a try later. Heard good things too both of them.

Haven't build a vm server yet only file server for now, will gather parts as i progress and learn.
Yup can't agree enough
I didnt know VB had a bare metal hypervisor... As for vmware, I heard the bare metal free license allows limited VM only...

I begin with xcp-ng from the beginning and have stuck with it since... works great depending whether you're using XOA or XCP-NG Centre as the hypervisor management tool

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0159sec    0.51    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 21st October 2020 - 02:05 AM