Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Why multiple VMs on a server?

views

TShahakim
post Apr 7 2020, 12:44 AM, updated 2 months ago

Getting Started
91 posts

i just trying to get into home server n see lots of tuto as much i can

but one part i dont get, what advantages of having multiple VMs on a server??

let say, i install virtualbox on my home server to run multiple OS's,

but how many ways i can access the installed OS's to make them usable? can i remote access and still have good exp? TQ

*I repost my thread here since /r/software seems no reply. I guess virtualbox or freenas being oss can be posted here hehe
malleus
post Apr 7 2020, 11:27 AM

Regular
1,434 posts

before looking at virtualisation, try asking yourself, for example a service that you want to set up. It will consist of the application itself, very likely a database server, maybe other stuff for caching and maybe storing files?

So the question is, do you want to set all these up in a single server? or do you want to split them up into multiple servers?

Then, let's say, you have 2 web applications that you want to host at home. Do you want to install both on the same server? or do you want to split them up so they'll be easier to manage, and will not end up effecting each other if you happen to update dependencies for one of them.

With this in mind, if you decide to split up the servers, with virtualisation, it allows you to run everything in a single physical machine.

As for how you are going to access the installed OS, that depends on your network setup. on if your VMs are host only, or are they given individual IP addresses on your network
TShahakim
post Apr 7 2020, 01:50 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

QUOTE(malleus @ Apr 7 2020, 11:27 AM)
before looking at virtualisation, try asking yourself, for example a service that you want to set up. It will consist of the application itself, very likely a database server, maybe other stuff for caching and maybe storing files?

So the question is, do you want to set all these up in a single server? or do you want to split them up into multiple servers?

Then, let's say, you have 2 web applications that you want to host at home. Do you want to install both on the same server? or do you want to split them up so they'll be easier to manage, and will not end up effecting each other if you happen to update dependencies for one of them.

With this in mind, if you decide to split up the servers, with virtualisation, it allows you to run everything in a single physical machine.

As for how you are going to access the installed OS, that depends on your network setup. on if your VMs are host only, or are they given individual IP addresses on your network
So basically here my case of use in general (as of now):
- for file sharing, media streaming etc.
- running and tinkering with different os

My plan is to run virtualbox with:
- freenas in VM (for storage management, media streaming)
- ubuntu (torrent, downloads, anonymity purposes n yadayada)

QUOTE(malleus @ Apr 7 2020, 11:27 AM)
I dont quite get it with how to access the virtualbox actually. If i put the server in different room, am i able to remote access those VMs (freenas & ubuntu) with my pc or my laptop at living room? If yes, how the experience be like? I never try remote access before

I havent tried anything yet bcause i want to plan first how the server is going to be set up, and build it on 'solid' foundation.
Dont want to install much stuff if I happen to upgrade it in future.

Btw is virtualbox good for managing the VMs and having them remote access?
Not fond of windows or ubuntu server for the extra heavy resources and proprietary software.
TShahakim
post Apr 7 2020, 01:57 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

I'm relatively new in network stuff btw try to absorb as much can
Got the idea of building home server because i have extra pc not in use and seems like fun project
edex
post Apr 7 2020, 02:04 PM

Getting Started
177 posts

Based on your requirement, better u run Unraid.
U can run jellyfin/plex for ur media streaming. torrent cliend also available.

search youtube for unraid. alot of example there.

u can ask me if u have question.

Now i'm running server with celeron j1800i, 8GB ram, 2TB parity disk and 1.5 TB data. Power usage about 15watt

user posted image
halmsx
post Apr 7 2020, 02:04 PM

Getting Started
108 posts

QUOTE(hahakim @ Apr 7 2020, 12:44 AM)

but how many ways i can access the installed OS's to make them usable? can i remote access and still have good exp? TQ

*I repost my thread here since /r/software seems no reply. I guess virtualbox or freenas being oss can be posted here hehe
main advantage is you dont have to have so many physical machines, thus, low cost of ownership

you can access them on the machine by opening a virtual client. or can remote access if you have them connected to network.

you can install as much as the physical machine can handle. more rams and drives means you can install more vms.
malleus
post Apr 7 2020, 02:12 PM

Regular
1,434 posts

QUOTE(hahakim @ Apr 7 2020, 01:50 PM)

I dont quite get it with how to access the virtualbox actually. If i put the server in different room, am i able to remote access those VMs (freenas & ubuntu) with my pc or my laptop at living room? If yes, how the experience be like? I never try remote access before

I havent tried anything yet bcause i want to plan first how the server is going to be set up, and build it on 'solid' foundation.

Not fond of windows or ubuntu server for the extra heavy resources and proprietary software.
As long as you have a network accessible IP address assigned to each VM, you just access the VM like you would with any other physical machine on your network.

Virtualbox is a good start, as its free. But if you're looking for something with more features, you can probably look at something like vmware later.
TShahakim
post Apr 7 2020, 02:35 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

QUOTE(edex @ Apr 7 2020, 02:04 PM)
Based on your requirement, better u run Unraid.
U can run jellyfin/plex for ur media streaming. torrent cliend also available.
search youtube for unraid. alot of example there.

u can ask me if u have question.

Now i'm running server with celeron j1800i, 8GB ram, 2TB parity disk and 1.5 TB data. Power usage about 15watt

user posted image
Is unraid one time payment or subscription based?

So...virtualbox -->unraid in VM any good? Will it be better experience if straight install unraid?
Freenas also have more than enough plug ins from what i read, no offense ya, just try to absorb anything
That 15watt damnnn is it an intel nic?

QUOTE(malleus @ Apr 7 2020, 02:12 PM)
As long as you have a network accessible IP address assigned to each VM, you just access the VM like you would with any other physical machine on your network.

Virtualbox is a good start, as its free. But if you're looking for something with more features, you can probably look at something like vmware later.
Thanks! Will look into vmware for my next lesson nod.gif

I like free software bcause if anything happen i can just nuke everything haha
TShahakim
post Apr 7 2020, 02:44 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

QUOTE(halmsx @ Apr 7 2020, 02:04 PM)
main advantage is you dont have to have so many physical machines, thus, low cost of ownership

you can access them on the machine by opening a virtual client. or can remote access if you have them connected to network.

you can install as much as the physical machine can handle. more rams and drives means you can install more vms.
Yeahh i wonder why the need of so many VMs n what the advantages be like

I have old pc i3 cpu, want to know what the benefits of running more VMs so i can estimate if the usage resources
Worth or not to having VMs, set upgrade path for personal server etc etc
edex
post Apr 7 2020, 04:09 PM

Getting Started
177 posts

QUOTE(hahakim @ Apr 7 2020, 02:35 PM)
Is unraid one time payment or subscription based?

So...virtualbox -->unraid in VM any good? Will it be better experience if straight install unraid?
Freenas also have more than enough plug ins from what i read, no offense ya, just try to absorb anything
That 15watt damnnn is it an intel nic?
Thanks! Will look into vmware for my next lesson nod.gif

I like free software bcause if anything happen i can just nuke everything haha
I use *ahem* unraid copy.

Unraid run from usb stick. So, it will not take hdd space.

Hdd/ssd only use to store data

Inside unraid, u can run VM and docker. Most of the things u want, have docker template. U can use app repository to install the docker.

I'm using this board https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/J1800I-.html and pair it with pico psu

U can buy secondhand from shopee

edex
post Apr 7 2020, 04:12 PM

Getting Started
177 posts

another option beside unraid, u can install https://xpenology.org/
TShahakim
post Apr 7 2020, 11:33 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

QUOTE(edex @ Apr 7 2020, 04:12 PM)
another option beside unraid, u can install https://xpenology.org/
Yeah will be my plan b, straight install unraid or freenas i think

Plan a will be vmware or vbox with freenas in vm. Will try to get that working first n see how it goes
Taikor.Taikun
post Apr 12 2020, 05:27 PM

Getting Started
269 posts

QUOTE(hahakim @ Apr 7 2020, 02:44 PM)
Yeahh i wonder why the need of so many VMs n what the advantages be like

I have old pc i3 cpu, want to know what the benefits of running more VMs so i can estimate if the usage resources
Worth or not to having VMs, set upgrade path for personal server etc etc
U need to assign resources for VMs. Ur old PCs have lots of Ram size? If it’s 4GB, u can assign 2GB Ram for 1 VM leaving the remaining 2 GB for the host. If u can only assign 1GB ram to VM, better forget for this setup

This post has been edited by Taikor.Taikun: Apr 12 2020, 05:28 PM
TShahakim
post Apr 13 2020, 03:15 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

QUOTE(Taikor.Taikun @ Apr 12 2020, 05:27 PM)
U need to assign resources for VMs. Ur old PCs have lots of Ram size? If it’s 4GB, u can assign 2GB Ram for 1 VM leaving the remaining 2 GB for the host. If u can only assign 1GB ram to VM, better forget for this setup
Its 8gb ram

You mind point out which setup?

Been playing with esxi past few days but kinda not sure about storage server, does it ram heavy or not? If to separate storage server, would prefer it not too power hungry
penguin_comel
post Apr 13 2020, 10:40 PM

24 posts

ko nak setup vm di rumah untuk apa sebenarnya ? meh cerita dekat aku .. aku dah setup server di rumah lebih 5 tahun
bellfreedom
post Apr 19 2020, 02:21 AM

33 posts

QUOTE(hahakim @ Apr 7 2020, 12:44 AM)

you want to setup your host machine(server physical machine) with VMware Esxi 6.7. After setup you may create multiple VM on top of VMware ESXi.
HuorEarfalas
post May 12 2020, 10:19 PM

Casual
322 posts

QUOTE(hahakim @ Apr 7 2020, 02:50 PM)

Are you running a separate physical server from your PC, or your PC is THE server??

I don't like running a server on my daily windows PC.. that's just me..

If you have a separate server, try PROXMOX or XCP-NG... I'm using XCP-NG, works great. I haven't tried PROXMOX, but I've heard good things about it

This post has been edited by HuorEarfalas: May 12 2020, 10:20 PM
Genderbender
post May 12 2020, 10:20 PM

Getting Started
65 posts

1 application , 1 database and another for file storage..
TShahakim
post May 14 2020, 10:03 AM

Getting Started
91 posts

QUOTE(HuorEarfalas @ May 12 2020, 10:19 PM)
Are you running a separate physical server from your PC, or your PC is THE server??

I don't like running a server on my daily windows PC.. that's just me..

If you have a separate server, try PROXMOX or XCP-NG... I'm using XCP-NG, works great. I haven't tried PROXMOX, but I've heard good things about it
Currently I'm running freenas
For bare metal os i only tried esxi and virtualbox, am planning to build on esxi later. Haven't tried proxmox or xcpng yet, but will give them a try later. Heard good things too both of them.

Haven't build a vm server yet only file server for now, will gather parts as i progress and learn.

QUOTE(Genderbender @ May 12 2020, 10:20 PM)
1 application ,  1 database and another for file storage..
Yup can't agree enough
HuorEarfalas
post May 14 2020, 11:42 AM

Casual
322 posts

QUOTE(hahakim @ May 14 2020, 11:03 AM)
Currently I'm running freenas
For bare metal os i only tried esxi and virtualbox, am planning to build on esxi later. Haven't tried proxmox or xcpng yet, but will give them a try later. Heard good things too both of them.

Haven't build a vm server yet only file server for now, will gather parts as i progress and learn.
Yup can't agree enough
I didnt know VB had a bare metal hypervisor... As for vmware, I heard the bare metal free license allows limited VM only...

I begin with xcp-ng from the beginning and have stuck with it since... works great depending whether you're using XOA or XCP-NG Centre as the hypervisor management tool

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0196sec    0.88    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 25th September 2020 - 01:51 AM