Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

What motivate you in coding?, Passion....hmmm, or money?

views

silverhawk
post Mar 20 2020, 07:04 PM

I'm Positively Lustrous
Group Icon
Elite
4,738 posts

QUOTE(jbcoder @ Mar 20 2020, 12:18 PM)
It's impossible to be happy doing coding when you have to abide by the chosen stack, rules, pattern, etc.

QUOTE(Palindromes @ Mar 20 2020, 04:00 PM)
Exactly, this is so true.....
While there is some truth to this, its really about mindset. If you can find the joy in working within such restrictions, you won't be unhappy. In the end its your own mindset that determines whether you're happy or not. Don't let external factors influence you too much. That's a general advice for life.

SUSjbcoder
post Mar 20 2020, 07:07 PM

Enthusiast
783 posts

QUOTE(silverhawk @ Mar 20 2020, 07:04 PM)
While there is some truth to this, its really about mindset. If you can find the joy in working within such restrictions, you won't be unhappy. In the end its your own mindset that determines whether you're happy or not. Don't let external factors influence you too much. That's a general advice for life.
No, fuck Python and anything by facebook.
silverhawk
post Mar 20 2020, 08:51 PM

I'm Positively Lustrous
Group Icon
Elite
4,738 posts

QUOTE(jbcoder @ Mar 20 2020, 07:07 PM)
No, fuck Python and anything by facebook.
laugh.gif
mmweric
post Mar 21 2020, 02:35 PM

Getting Started
156 posts

QUOTE(Palindromes @ Mar 20 2020, 03:59 PM)
Yeah, I think you mentioned before, you did C++ during that 1.5 years..... I think you are much happier with sales job industry now.....
I think I changed more due to the work environment developing real time shop floor solutions in a factory wasn't something I found interesting everyone
was like 10 years older than me and no girls only aunties.

Perhaps if I was working in something more exciting like in google labs on things like image recognition, AI or perhaps a hedge fund analyzing
financial information. I might have stayed on.

kelvinfixx
post Mar 28 2020, 08:59 PM

Regular
1,501 posts

it's mixed of many things.
Darrel1991
post Mar 30 2020, 03:13 PM

33 posts

mixed of many things

if u are going for money then i would rather be doing a sales job.

It its for passion you need to put in countless of hours,It really depends on you.

For me my programming journey has its up and downs.Programming is evolving learning how to code is not going to be enough.You need to learn how to use other dev's framework and continue to learn and be competitive in the job market.Example i have a php dev but i only know how to build a simple website,there are tonnes in the market who knows how to create a website.Most will ask what framework u use

this is my 2 cents dont flame me just correct me rclxm9.gif rclxm9.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif
TSPalindromes
post Mar 30 2020, 08:13 PM

Getting Started
Validating
157 posts

QUOTE(Darrel1991 @ Mar 30 2020, 03:13 PM)
mixed of many things

if u are going for money then i would rather be doing a sales job.

It its for passion you need to put in countless of hours,It really depends on you.

For me my programming journey has its up and downs.Programming is evolving learning how to code is not going to be enough.You need to learn how to use other dev's framework and continue to learn and be competitive in the job market.Example i have a php dev but i only know how to build a simple website,there are tonnes in the market who knows how to create a website.Most will ask what framework u use

this is my 2 cents dont flame me just correct me  rclxm9.gif  rclxm9.gif  tongue.gif  tongue.gif
I just went to your freelancer.com professional profile, and I think what a great portfolio you are building....Impressive!

BTW, is it possible to do facial recognition using C# (not openCV, etc).....because C# now already can do Speech recognition easily.....
Darrel1991
post Mar 31 2020, 12:01 AM

33 posts

You mean pure C# without any framework Sorry i think is better u go with frameworks its ready and mostly free anyway its just a hassle that u need to learn that is passion.

QUOTE(Palindromes @ Mar 30 2020, 08:13 PM)
I just went to your freelancer.com professional profile, and I think what a great portfolio you are building....Impressive!

BTW, is it possible to do facial recognition using C# (not openCV, etc).....because C# now already can do Speech recognition easily.....
XyzionzX
post Apr 15 2020, 07:20 PM

5k HDR STARSSS
762 posts

QUOTE(Palindromes @ Mar 13 2020, 12:33 AM)
Today I have to face this question, standing at the crossroads.
For quite a long time, it was passion / interest that motivated me in coding. Even though while I worked office coding job, I was mentally (and physically) there, but my heart (or passion for coding) was not there. But when I tried to be passionate about my coding job, it was often counter-productive and meant the end of my job there (why? I would try to use my own "creative" way to accomplish programming tasks rather than what I was told to).

Today I suddenly I realized that I have done enough for my own interest or passion in IT....that's included some fundamental understanding of OS kernel, bit manipulation, all things console or character user interface, and some bitmap handling....

Should I proceed in IT for money? Since I can't head onward anymore with passion. Simply can't.

Of course I do IT on and off for money, but now I will be doing IT for money, and because of money?
main motivation is to get into low level programming

did find some fun in learning to code and feel like coding is quite interesting once you get into low level

now im struggling in C# cuz I use basic C and embedded C more but its interesting to learn when you dive deeper

IT is a wide field, maybe you can choose AI or even data science if u fancy big data

money is one thing, ur happiness and fulfillment is another

my 2 cents
Arhat
post Apr 15 2020, 07:50 PM

Casual
367 posts

QUOTE(Palindromes @ Mar 13 2020, 12:33 AM)
Today I have to face this question, standing at the crossroads.
For quite a long time, it was passion / interest that motivated me in coding. Even though while I worked office coding job, I was mentally (and physically) there, but my heart (or passion for coding) was not there. But when I tried to be passionate about my coding job, it was often counter-productive and meant the end of my job there (why? I would try to use my own "creative" way to accomplish programming tasks rather than what I was told to).

Today I suddenly I realized that I have done enough for my own interest or passion in IT....that's included some fundamental understanding of OS kernel, bit manipulation, all things console or character user interface, and some bitmap handling....

Should I proceed in IT for money? Since I can't head onward anymore with passion. Simply can't.

Of course I do IT on and off for money, but now I will be doing IT for money, and because of money?
It was my passion to do programming in the first place.

But in real working life, the bosses give unreasonable deadlines.

Colleagues who left wrote lousy code with lots of bugs with no documentation.

We are supposed to solve their bugs within a short time.

All these made programming a hellish job ... other than these, I like programming.
Taikor.Taikun
post Apr 16 2020, 12:14 AM

Enthusiast
967 posts

It wasnt really passion or money for me.

When i was doing part-time job as a technician n sales in a software house, i was surrounded by programmers, web developers, graphic designers, testers... i admired them. I wanted to b like them. So i learn some skills from these talents. After finished my studies my first job was in-house developer. I kept going even though some of those developers i know in the software house had changed line
Arhat
post Apr 17 2020, 01:26 AM

Casual
367 posts

Many programming languages like Java are piece of shitty work geared towards poor programmers. That's why most programmers write poor code.

C++ is a better design programming language but it's not popular for commercial use.
otai_g
post Apr 17 2020, 01:57 PM

On my way
622 posts

QUOTE(Arhat @ Apr 15 2020, 07:50 PM)
colleagues who left wrote lousy code with lots of bugs with no documentation.
to be honest i might be one of these categories.

but need to understand, maybe the code is good enough during they develop, but after new/change requirements from top, the original code is messy with some lat minutes changes.

others, if the original code is good enough, there are no point company to hired you.

based on my experienced when join new company, the main task is to clean shit from existing/legacy system.

Arhat
post Apr 17 2020, 07:59 PM

Casual
367 posts

QUOTE(otai_g @ Apr 17 2020, 01:57 PM)
to be honest i might be one of these categories.

but need to understand, maybe the code is good enough during they develop, but after new/change requirements from top, the original code is messy with some lat minutes changes.

others, if the original code is good enough, there are no point company to hired you.

based on my experienced when join new company, the main task is to clean shit from existing/legacy system.
Original code is good enough for current requirement but requirements sometimes change. You must document it properly so that those who take over can change the code without rewriting everything.

That's the standard of good engineering which many local universities don't teach

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0222sec    0.23    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:27 AM