Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

ROM at Thean Hou Temple 2020

views

TSE-Sel-C
post Mar 11 2020, 10:09 AM, updated 5y ago

49 posts

Hi all,

I am getting married this year and for our ROM we wish to do it at Thean Hou Temple (天后宫) I have been doing some research and I keep getting conflicting information: from both websites, calls to the temple and also people that have registered there) so would just like to know if anyone can update me on the process.

I went to JPN JPN Registrationwebsite and this is what they wrote:

Solemnization and Registration of Marriages for Citizen of Malaysia (Non Muslims) by Appointed Assistant Registrar of Marriages at Church / Temple / Communal Association

1. The applicant appear before a Commissions of Oath to make a declaration/oath in the Part D2 of Form JPN.KC02
2. Submission of application to any NRD Office for verification of marital status Fee RM20.00
3. Submission of application to the appointed Assistant Registrar of Marriages at respective church/temple/communal association
4. Solemnization and Registration by appointed Assistant Registrar of Marriages at respective church/temple/association (according to religious/customs/usage ceremony)
5. Submission of documents to the respective NRD office within one (1) week from the date of soleminization and registration by Assistant Registrar of Marriages

So from this my understanding is the following:
Step 1: go to Commissions of Oath first and get a marriage declaration
Step 2: Bring MyKad, Photo, Declaration letter in step 1 and a filled in JPN.KC02 bring to JPN for application for verification of marital status letter (pay RM20)
Step 3: Bring the Verification of Marital Status Letter to Thean Hou Temple max 2 months before the ROM date. Here you will book a spot, get your time. (Heard need to pay RM200 here)
Step 4: On the date itself, will need to come at the time, sign ROM
Step 5: ROM to be given back to JPN within 1 week after you sign the ROM

is that it? I have heard peple say need to put up your photo and notice for 21 days. But I called thean hou temple and they said dont need for notice and display if done at thean hou temple. I wish to do my ROM on 10.10.2020 (yeah sure banyak orang) so I also called in hopes of being able to book a spot or something (didn't know what to expect). but they said the slots for booking will only open around June/July because it will only be open 2 months before the actual date. They also said i cannot do anything now as the letter (dont even know what letter. Thean hou lady just kept saying letter) has an expiry date.

So my questions are:
1. What other steps am I missing out? Will need to know cause need to plan take IC photo and all for groom and I
2. Thean Hou Temple will I need to line up on the day itself? At what point do I get my number or date
3. I also read that having a ceremony there, must follow the customs. Can I know what customs? This is because I am Christian and my groom is buddhist.
4. True that I cannot do anything now? Thean Hou gong said to only apply end july.

Hope babes here can help rclxub.gif
Hades76
post Mar 11 2020, 10:23 AM

On my way
650 posts

Why dont you go to JPN and register your marriage. Then go to temple just for the ceremony.

Yes, JPN will need to parade your application for 21 days to ensure no one objects to your union.
Garenyu
post Mar 11 2020, 10:26 AM

Getting Started
63 posts

Me and my wife went through what you had asked above and i guess i can share some insight from our experience.

You had answered most of the questions yourself but here is some summary you can refer to :

Most important thing is visit UTC Pudu as all the procedure can be done in the same building and you can proceed to submit the form to Thean Hou Temple which is very near.

1. Go JPN request for ROM form
2. Fill up and sign it infront of a Witness such as Lawyer which you can found in UTC also.
3. Submit back to JPN and pay RM20 and inform them that you will want to perform the ROM on Thean Hou Temple
4. JPN will return you the ROM form and you may proceed to take the form to Thean Hou Temple
5. Go Thean Hou Temple counter and inform them your expected ROM Date and they will check for availability.
6. Once confirmed, you have to pay RM200.
7. On ROM Day itself, bring along your family / photographer and enjoy smile.gif

On your questions :
1. What other steps am I missing out? Will need to know cause need to plan take IC photo and all for groom and I

Need a normal passport photo of your husband and you to attach on the document

2. Thean Hou Temple will I need to line up on the day itself? At what point do I get my number or date

You don't have to line up, the payment you made for RM200 is a booking for specific time slot example 15-March-2020 @ 10am.

Thus you and your groom family need to be there by 10am.

3. I also read that having a ceremony there, must follow the customs. Can I know what customs? This is because I am Christian and my groom is buddhist.

Because both of you are in different religion, you need to choose either one of the customs as the official from Thean Hou Temple will only able to cater either Christian or Buddhist customs during the official ROM day in the temple.

4. True that I cannot do anything now? Thean Hou gong said to only apply end july.

Yes, if your expected ROM date is September, then you both shall plan a trip to Thean Hou Temple on end of July or early August to book.

This post has been edited by Garenyu: Mar 11 2020, 10:29 AM
WeiLoonChuak
post Mar 11 2020, 10:31 AM

Getting Started
90 posts

1) Go JPN get form and bring Mykad & passport size photo (I went to UTC)
2) Fill in the form and need to have sumpah stamp (Normally in UTC will have) (need to pay $ but forget how much, small amount)
3) After fill & Sumpah, then submit the form to JPN again for verification & stamp, JPN will return the form to you on the spot. (need to pay $ but forget how much, small amount)
4) Bring the form to Thean Hou for ROM date selection, together with witnesses IC copy (both side). Some special date will incur higher $$, last time i take 20.5. The officer will help to register and tell you your ROM will be on what time, strictly no late on ROM day.

Please remind that the form only valid for 3 months, if you wanted to register on 10.10, then calculate backward 3 months periods for form submission.

This post has been edited by WeiLoonChuak: Mar 11 2020, 10:38 AM
mydurian
post Mar 11 2020, 10:31 AM

Enthusiast
854 posts

Uncle did that many years ago at the temple. You need to go in advance to book the slot you want since you've and most chinese have chosen that day (establish day officer). The staff there will inform you what to bring. That's it.
TSE-Sel-C
post Mar 11 2020, 11:08 AM

49 posts

QUOTE(Hades76 @ Mar 11 2020, 10:23 AM)
Why dont you go to JPN and register your marriage. Then go to temple just for the ceremony.

Yes, JPN will need to parade your application for 21 days to ensure no one objects to your union.
Oh is there such an option? What difference will the steps be then for such a procedure? So means signing of the ROM will be at JPN and at Thean Hou is just a photoshoot/ceremonial thing?
TSE-Sel-C
post Mar 11 2020, 11:10 AM

49 posts

QUOTE(Garenyu @ Mar 11 2020, 10:26 AM)
Me and my wife went through what you had asked above and i guess i can share some insight from our experience.

You had answered most of the questions yourself but here is some summary you can refer to :

Most important thing is visit UTC Pudu as all the procedure can be done in the same building and you can proceed to submit the form to Thean Hou Temple which is very near.

2. Fill up and sign it infront of a Witness such as Lawyer which you can found in UTC also.
3. Submit back to JPN and pay RM20 and inform them that you will want to perform the ROM on Thean Hou Temple
4. JPN will return you the ROM form and you may proceed to take the form to Thean Hou Temple
5. Go Thean Hou Temple counter and inform them your expected ROM Date and they will check for availability.
7. On ROM Day itself, bring along your family / photographer and enjoy smile.gif 

On your questions :

You don't have to line up, the payment you made for RM200 is a booking for specific time slot example 15-March-2020 @ 10am.

Because both of you are in different religion, you need to choose either one of the customs as the official from Thean Hou Temple will only able to cater either Christian or Buddhist customs during the official ROM day in the temple.

Yes, if your expected ROM date is September, then you both shall plan a trip to Thean Hou Temple on end of July or early August to book.
Thanks so much for the information! Everyone was telling me must book early must book early. Say if i book now sure no spot... mana tau slots only open for booking 2 months before biggrin.gif Also good to know that I only will need to be there by specific time hehe. can sleep in no need gan jeong
TSE-Sel-C
post Mar 11 2020, 11:12 AM

49 posts

QUOTE(mydurian @ Mar 11 2020, 10:31 AM)
Uncle did that many years ago at the temple. You need to go in advance to book the slot you want since you've and most chinese have chosen that day (establish day officer). The staff there will inform you what to bring. That's it.
hahaha your many years ago experience is valueble to blur people like me. Also heard that they sometimes will change policy so quite confusing... Ahh so means the day the slot opens need to line up sad.gif
TSE-Sel-C
post Mar 11 2020, 11:13 AM

49 posts

QUOTE(WeiLoonChuak @ Mar 11 2020, 10:31 AM)
2) Fill in the form and need to have sumpah stamp (Normally in UTC will have) (need to pay $ but forget how much, small amount)
3) After fill & Sumpah, then submit the form to JPN again for verification & stamp, JPN will return the form to you on the spot. (need to pay $ but forget how much, small amount)
4) Bring the form to Thean Hou for ROM date selection,  together with witnesses IC copy (both side). Some special date will incur higher $$, last time i take 20.5. The officer will help to register and tell you your ROM will be on what time, strictly no late on ROM day.

Please remind that the form only valid for 3 months, if you wanted to register on 10.10, then calculate backward 3 months periods for form submission.
Oh! Aiyo... do you know if they are specific like "90 days before" cause later early by 1 day go register then need to come back next day. Somemore some months got 30 days some months got 31
TSE-Sel-C
post Mar 11 2020, 11:16 AM

49 posts

QUOTE(Garenyu @ Mar 11 2020, 10:26 AM)

On your questions :

Aiya, also forgot to ask, i saw some people say must go register where my IC is. But just to clarify: for thean hou temple this doesnt apply right?

WeiLoonChuak
post Mar 11 2020, 11:28 AM

Getting Started
90 posts

QUOTE(E-Sel-C @ Mar 11 2020, 11:13 AM)
Oh! Aiyo... do you know if they are specific like "90 days before" cause later early by 1 day go register then need to come back next day. Somemore some months got 30 days some months got 31
To be safer, maybe you can do the submission in Mid of Jul, i took about half day to submit form in JPN & Thean Hou.. Actually you dont need to worry about the slot, i believe they have enough place to ROM at same time, and each session is only about 30 mins. ( my ROM was in 2019 and that time the orignal ROM area was under renovation, and all the ROM has been held in the main hall there, so not sure how is the new look now after renovate).

QUOTE(E-Sel-C @ Mar 11 2020, 11:16 AM)
Aiya, also forgot to ask, i saw some people say must go register where my IC is. But just to clarify: for thean hou temple this doesnt apply right?
It doesnt apply at Thean Hou, me and my wife IC is different state too, KL & Pahang....

This post has been edited by WeiLoonChuak: Mar 11 2020, 11:31 AM
mydurian
post Mar 11 2020, 02:06 PM

Enthusiast
854 posts

QUOTE(E-Sel-C @ Mar 11 2020, 11:12 AM)
hahaha your many years ago experience is valueble to blur people like me. Also heard that they sometimes will change policy so quite confusing... Ahh so means the day the slot opens need to line up  sad.gif
Since its a good date, the temple will usually hold a mass registration and often will have press presents.
So ensure you get the slot locked in.
TSE-Sel-C
post Mar 11 2020, 03:37 PM

49 posts

QUOTE(mydurian @ Mar 11 2020, 02:06 PM)
Since its a good date, the temple will usually hold a mass registration and often will have press presents.
So ensure you get the slot locked in.
Got press also? Means need to ban leng leng... bruce.gif
TSE-Sel-C
post Mar 11 2020, 03:37 PM

49 posts

QUOTE(WeiLoonChuak @ Mar 11 2020, 11:28 AM)
To be safer, maybe you can do the submission in Mid of Jul, i took about half day to submit form in JPN & Thean Hou.. Actually you dont need to worry about the slot, i believe they have enough place to ROM at same time, and each session is only about 30 mins. ( my ROM was in 2019 and that time the orignal ROM area was under renovation, and all the ROM has been held in the main hall there, so not sure how is the new look now after renovate).
It doesnt apply at Thean Hou, me and my wife IC is different state too, KL & Pahang....
Ahh okok. That's good to know! phew. Thanks!
WeiLoonChuak
post Mar 11 2020, 03:54 PM

Getting Started
90 posts

QUOTE(E-Sel-C @ Mar 11 2020, 03:37 PM)
Ahh okok. That's good to know! phew. Thanks!
No problem smile.gif .... congrats in advance for your ROM .. you can order the hand flower bouquet at there as well, easier for collection... if you need photography please pm me, the photography i know from Thean Hou as well, and his skill is quite ok ...
lsl25
post Sep 7 2020, 11:44 AM

4 posts

can i ask if there is any difference in terms of whose IC we submitted as our witness? Even if i submit my dad as the witness, my mum can still enter during the solemnization right? Does it make any difference if i submit someone else as my witness?
Garenyu
post Sep 7 2020, 11:48 AM

Getting Started
63 posts

QUOTE(lsl25 @ Sep 7 2020, 12:44 PM)
can i ask if there is any difference in terms of whose IC we submitted as our witness? Even if i submit my dad as the witness, my mum can still enter during the solemnization right? Does it make any difference if i submit someone else as my witness?
You can bring a few person even Guess during the solemnization.

Witness is just use for documentation purpose.

Myself had bring in 2 photographer which is non related to us too... biggrin.gif

But please do double check with Thean Hou Temple Admin if they have any limitation due to Covid now.
Blofeld
post May 19 2021, 11:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,457 posts

QUOTE(WeiLoonChuak @ Mar 11 2020, 10:31 AM)
4) Bring the form to Thean Hou for ROM date selection,  together with witnesses IC copy (both side). Some special date will incur higher $$, last time i take 20.5. The officer will help to register and tell you your ROM will be on what time, strictly no late on ROM day.

May I know if the same procedure applies if both groom and bride's IC are from different state?
huangpl89
post May 23 2021, 02:22 PM

Getting Started
217 posts

For clarification to those for IC from different state;

Me and my husband ic belong to sarawak, but we can ROM in KL. But must go to JPN Putrajaya to get the form done. After complete the form, u can go any private ROM place like thean hou (no issue with ic address, they dont care as long as you got your form ready from JPN).
For my case, we went to KLSCAH for our rom because;
1) They have bigger hall compare to thean hou, can accommodate around 10 person
2) My husband is christian and i'm buddhist so swearing in front of a god statue is kinda conflict of religion. (they are chinese ROM place, not religion type)
3) longer stay in time compare to thean hou. (for taking photo session) Almost 1 hr if not mistaken. (need clarify again)

Blofeld
post May 27 2021, 03:30 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,457 posts

QUOTE(huangpl89 @ May 23 2021, 02:22 PM)
For clarification to those for IC from different state;

Me and my husband ic belong to sarawak, but we can ROM in KL. But must go to JPN Putrajaya to get the form done. After complete the form, u can go any private ROM place like thean hou (no issue with ic address, they dont care as long as you got your form ready from JPN).
For my case, we went to KLSCAH for our rom because;
1) They have bigger hall compare to thean hou, can accommodate around 10 person
2) My husband is christian and i'm buddhist so swearing in front of a god statue is kinda conflict of religion. (they are chinese ROM place, not religion type)
3) longer stay in time compare to thean hou. (for taking photo session) Almost 1 hr if not mistaken. (need clarify again)
Thanks for your experience

But if both IC from different state, can it be done other than Putrajaya? Or Putrajaya is the only place for those whose ICs are from different state?

Because I have been told need to change IC address if ICs are from different states.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0167sec    0.14    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:57 AM