Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

providing software, legal issue

views

TSjon2328
post Mar 8 2020, 04:15 PM, updated 5y ago

43 posts

hi all, let say i have a deal with business for writing them software in exchange of money.
do i need to declare it to any government department as in they are using legit software or something?
i am individual and have no company, will this be a problem?
will they face any issue using my software? provided me and my client have no issue with each other

on the side note, any tips for new freelancer?
thanks biggrin.gif
cassian948
post Mar 8 2020, 04:17 PM

Enthusiast
889 posts

Got invoice, receipt of payment consider a legit software lor.
TSjon2328
post Mar 8 2020, 05:48 PM

43 posts

QUOTE(cassian948 @ Mar 8 2020, 04:17 PM)
Got invoice, receipt of payment consider a legit software lor.
general invoice book at book shop then have my name on it will do?
do i need to declare anything to government?
thank you
cassian948
post Mar 8 2020, 05:58 PM

Enthusiast
889 posts

QUOTE(jon2328 @ Mar 8 2020, 05:48 PM)
do i need to declare anything to government?
thank you
Self printed A4 paper with the necessary details would do just fine, type of service offered, amount payable, to client name and from provider name.

If you're talking about 1:1 business transaction, there's nothing to declare to the government other than your source of income.

But for the company that hired you, as long as they have an invoice that they hired you to do such and such and pay you such and such, that's enough to proof the legitimacy of the software that they're using and you're the owner (unless you sold the source code too).
Palindromes
post Mar 8 2020, 08:33 PM

Getting Started
Validating
157 posts

QUOTE(jon2328 @ Mar 8 2020, 05:48 PM)

Just use one from Word online template (search "invoice" category) and fill in your details as mentioned by @cassian948.

malleus
post Mar 8 2020, 09:06 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

QUOTE(jon2328 @ Mar 8 2020, 04:15 PM)
hi all, let say i have a deal with business for writing them software in exchange of money.
do i need to declare it to any government department as in they are using legit software or something?
i am individual and have no company, will this be a problem?
will they face any issue using my software? provided me and my client have no issue with each other

on the side note, any tips for new freelancer?
thanks biggrin.gif
At the very least, you should have a contractual agreement with them that spells out exactly what it is that needs to be delivered as well as the terms of the delivery, which includes the source code, etc.

That signed agreement is all that's needed.
WongGei
post Mar 10 2020, 11:09 AM

Regular
1,206 posts

Just my 2 cents. Even as a freelancer, do note that different software will have different license. Some are free to use and need to pay for distribution and some are free for personal but commercial need to pay for it.
As a professional, one should advise the owner of the software if they need to make budget for the software.
TSjon2328
post Mar 12 2020, 08:08 PM

43 posts

QUOTE(Palindromes @ Mar 8 2020, 08:33 PM)
Just use one from Word online template (search "invoice" category) and fill in your details as mentioned by @cassian948.
Thank you !
TSjon2328
post Mar 12 2020, 08:09 PM

43 posts

QUOTE(cassian948 @ Mar 8 2020, 05:58 PM)
Self printed A4 paper with the necessary details would do just fine, type of service offered, amount payable, to client name and from provider name.

If you're talking about 1:1 business transaction, there's nothing to declare to the government other than your source of income.

But for the company that hired you, as long as they have an invoice that they hired you to do such and such and pay you such and such, that's enough to proof the legitimacy of the software that they're using and you're the owner (unless you sold the source code too).
QUOTE(malleus @ Mar 8 2020, 09:06 PM)
At the very least, you should have a contractual agreement with them that spells out exactly what it is that needs to be delivered as well as the terms of the delivery, which includes the source code, etc.

That signed agreement is all that's needed.
QUOTE(WongGei @ Mar 10 2020, 11:09 AM)
Just my 2 cents. Even as a freelancer, do note that different software will have different license. Some are free to use and need to pay for distribution and some are free for personal but commercial need to pay for it.
As a professional, one should advise the owner of the software if they need to make budget for the software.
very helpful tips thank you all very much

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0134sec    0.37    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:48 AM